StarCraft® II

Guass guns VS Railguns

In sc2, guass guns seem to be more prevalent than railguns. do you think with enough advancements, could we adopt the use of guass and railguns?

and also, in the long run, which development path seems better? railguns or guass guns?
Reply Quote
i know what they are, and their distiction, hence i seperated them.

i personally think that railguns should be miniturizable as much (maybe slightly less) than guass guns, due to its design, but all this is limited towards battery power and efficient transforming

railguns today tend to be harder to make than guass guns becuase rails need to come in consideration.

i think eventually, railguns will be more efficient than guass guns due to direct contact.
Reply Quote
if i remember correctly, they already do that for guass guns

and direct contact normally is a plus, becuase the limit of magnetic power is higher than that of using a permanant magnet, and energy transfer is better than induction

im not talking about fatigue of parts, just efficiency in terms of power to force ratio

also, coils (given they reverse polarities) use the same idea still, for increasing force.

but also, i think coils would work better for machine guns, as a 2 rounds can probably travel together in a long enough barrel, in which one is at the start when one is like halfway, far enough to not be affected by its magnetic field

still, there are limits on permanant magnets and induction
Reply Quote
unpowered? you mean as in no rocket?

but yes, weapons are only one

i would like to see hypersonic aircraft lauches from railgun. maybe more efficient cranes with magnetic induction? or more powerful pistons? so we can make exo suits?

maybe the power to move metalic items like magneto? you induce a magnetic field, and interact with it like a magnet.

maybe a hover-car amusemnet car ride based on eddy currents and magnetic platforms?

certainly would like to see a hovering turret, in which it hovers on its base, like the photon cannon. held up by magnetic fields? impractical, but would be cool
Reply Quote
Gauss Rifles. Marines know how to use them WITHOUT it accidentally blowing up in their faces. Or, if the jostle the coil, it may break.
Reply Quote
making that large vacuum would we a pain in the neck

but, i think the normal one used for maglev trains would be used. same concept as guass guns, but not same design (as i read)
Reply Quote
I'm not exactly sure what a railgun is, but remember that these weapons should be able to be fired at different gravities, etc.
Reply Quote
yea, just like a regular gun right?
Reply Quote
...A gauss rifle and a railgun are the same thing.

Both fire a high speed metal projectile with the add of magnets and massive amounts of electricity.
Reply Quote
Astrai are you a scientist or something or do you just read alot =)
Reply Quote
We don't need either in the future, but gauss guns are better tm (am i right?)

We'll have electroshock guns and the like, and maybe self-ammunition building gauss guns.

Reply Quote
its not any are better, they do pretty much the same thing with different ways

railguns tend to not last as long, have high heat, and are usually large (to hold rails and keep them from bending), but they normally have more potential for power (due to direct contact)

coilguns tend to last longer (due to no direct contact), and are probably going to be smaller, but are normally less powerful than railguns, due to indirect contact, and the use of magnetized metals/eddy currents

also, scientist have worked on directing electrical arcs, but that is a long shot. electrical arcs are unpredictable, and there are a lot of variables to count in to make the elcectricity arc the way you want.
Edited by ObscurumX on 5/7/2011 6:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
isn't it just a fancy series of magnets? If so, that can't really penetrate all that well. Also, did you ever notice that marines can only shoot 20 feet in front of themselves? That's not just for balance, it's somewhat realistic too. Even the ghost can't snipe the same way as a .50 cal in 2011.
Reply Quote
if the game was that realistic no one would have any fun
and from what i gather the mangnts propel the ammo faster and harder than gunpowder
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]