StarCraft® II

Starcraft Books!

They exist! There are 6 of them, I have only read one. In the first one they put a siege tank (sieged) in the docking bay of one battlecruiser, and use it to destroy another one... AA SIEGE TANK!

Here is a list of all SC literature.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_books

Hope you enjoy/can actually find the books! Anyways, the books I speak of are the novels. The one I read, queen of blades, was nearly 400 pages.

Really good stuff, every 50 pages or so I got an INCREDIBLE urge to play starcraft.
: )

Gl Hf

-Admral Ackbar
Edited by AdmralAckbar on 5/5/2011 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Dark Templar saga was great, and Liberty's Crusade was actually a pretty amazing first person view of the Terran campaign from SC1.

I rather enjoyed Heaven's Devils, though I'm not a huge fan of Dietz's writing style. It seemed a bit rushed and forced in some places, some of the conversation scenes didn't flow that well, in my opinion. Great story though, I can't wait to pick up Devil's Due, I <3 Christie Golden.

I dunno, I liked Queen of Blades, Shadow of the Xel'Naga and Speed of Darkness, but they weren't A list books to me. Good, but not great.
Reply Quote
I have read.... Uhmmm.. These:

05/06/2011 01:43 AMPosted by Requizen
Liberty's Crusade

Shadow of the Xel'Naga

Speed of Darkness

Uprising:
05/05/2011 07:42 AMPosted by AdmralAckbar
In the first one they put a siege tank (sieged) in the docking bay of one battlecruiser, and use it to destroy another one... AA SIEGE TANK!

And "I, Mengsk"...

I think I'm gonna purchase:
Queen of Blades

Before going for:
Dark Templar saga

Then Heaven's Devils and Devil's Due...

What do you guys think? O_o
Reply Quote
It doesn't really matter the order, none of them really interact with one another, except the Dark Templar saga and Heaven's Devils and Devil's Due (seperately, of course). Queen of Blades can get a bit slow at times, but it's definately worth the read, and DT is amazing, but doesn't really have much to do with the overall story arc (not yet at least).
Reply Quote
05/06/2011 02:20 PMPosted by Requizen
It doesn't really matter the order, none of them really interact with one another, except the Dark Templar saga and Heaven's Devils and Devil's Due (seperately, of course). Queen of Blades can get a bit slow at times, but it's definately worth the read, and DT is amazing, but doesn't really have much to do with the overall story arc (not yet at least).

Queen of Blades, it is! ^_^

I think I'll buy the Dark Templar Saga (all 3) when I finish the former...

Any other books I should know about? :D
Reply Quote
I really enjoyed Liberty's Crusade. It also had awesome quotes in it at the beginning of every chapter :D

Some of the WC3 Books are pretty good too. I remember the first time I read Arthas, I really didn't like it, but I decided to go back and read it a second time. For some reason, I thought it was fantastic the second time...
Reply Quote
Currently, I have the StarCraft Archives (Liberty's Crusade, Shadow of the Xel'Naga, Speed of Darkness, and Uprising), I, Mengsk, and the Dark Templar Saga. I'll be getting Ghost: Nova and Queen of Blades at the end of June, and here are my thoughts thus far:

Liberty's Crusade is decent. Not particularly good, not particularly bad, but really hard to recommend to anyone. It's not good enough to say it's worth reading if you're not into StarCraft, and if you are into StarCraft, you've undoubtedly already seen this story through the original game.

Shadow of the Xel'naga is the reason I've yet to finish the Archives... It's horribly paced, feels like there's nothing going on, and makes it difficult to care about any of the characters. I hate saying this since the first ever novel I read was actually written by Kevin J. Anderson, one of the two writers who wrote this story, but... I'm sorry, it's awful. I'm eight chapters in, and I don't want to continue at this point.

I've yet to read Speed of Darkness and Uprising, I'll comment on them some other time.

I, Mengsk is a really good book. As you can probably tell from my choice of avatar, Valerian is one of my favorite newer characters to the series, and I mostly got it because he's a character who actually reminds me a lot of myself (personality-wise, I mean). It really gives a lot of depth to both Arcturus and Valerian, and paints a much clearer picture of them than you get from anywhere else, and actually caused me to cry at one point (shut up).

The Dark Templar Saga, however, is nothing short of masterful. I can say that not only is it good enough to recommend to people who don't like StarCraft, I can say it's good enough to recommend to people who don't particularly like the Fantasy/Sci-Fi genre in general. Once I hit chapter 4 or 5 of the first book, I couldn't put them down until I finished the trilogy- and every character they came across felt very much like a person. You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll find a story that will be remembered for years.
Edited by MarioFanXV on 5/7/2011 1:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/06/2011 10:29 PMPosted by MarioFanXV
and actually cause med to cry at one point (shut up).

:3

I read I, Mengsk.

:3

05/06/2011 10:29 PMPosted by MarioFanXV
The Dark Templar Saga, however, is nothing short of masterful

My next book(s) after I read Queen of Blades!! Yay!!!
Reply Quote
1st post on the forums XD

I, Mengsk explains how Arcturus acted like his father to a degree as he got older, and eventually came to act like a Confederate, the exact opposite of what his friends and family expected.
I like that one a lot too.

(P.S. I'm confident there's more than 6 SC book series. But I don't know.)
Reply Quote
I've read them all except "Uprising." I've enjoyed pretty much all of them, with one or two exceptions.

"Liberty's Crusade" was a masterpiece, IMO. It's not simply a good Starcraft book; it's a good book period. It provides a much greater level of depth to the characters and the story, adding new dimensions while still feeling incredibly true to the game. It's got a wonderful cynicism about it that just fits the Starcraft universe perfectly. Also, if awesomeness were a religion, Mike Liberty would be God.

"Shadow of the Xel'naga" was kind of mediocre. To be honest, I hardly remember it.

"Speed of Darkness" is the only one I didn't like at all. It was bleak and depressing and never really went anywhere or told us anything we didn't already know.

"Nova" was great. Keith DeCandido did an amazing job of making the grimy underbelly of Tarsonis come to life. I highly recommend it.

"Queen of Blades" was a very rigid novelization of the Zerg campaign from SC1, but that said, I still enjoyed it a quite a bit. It's very descriptive and offers a lot of nostalgia if you're a big SC1 fan. Plus, it has some relevance for being the first appearance of Matt Horner. So, yeah, I liked it.

"I, Mengsk" was good but not great. The author did a great job of making Arcturus into a realistic character with a good arc and managed to avoid falling into the traps of making him too good or too evil, but outside of Arcturus, the book was kind of dull and didn't offer a lot of earth-shaking revelations or truly spectacular moments.

"Heaven's Devils" was all right. It's an interesting insight into the history of Terrans in the Koprulu Sector, but it wasn't very well written, and there weren't a lot of stand-out moments. It was interesting to read once, but ultimately a bit forgettable. Ryk Kydd was cool, though. Would like to see that character be revisited sometime.

I pretty much agree with MarioFan on "The Dark Templar Saga." It was brilliant, especially book one. Rosemary Dahl is honestly one of the best characters I have ever seen anywhere, ever, and if you have even the slightest interest in the Xel'naga or the Protoss, you will love these books. Even if you're not an especially big Protoss fan, there's easily enough action, emotion, and mystery to keep pretty much anyone entertained.
Reply Quote
I've read them all except "Uprising." I've enjoyed pretty much all of them, with one or two exceptions.

"Liberty's Crusade" was a masterpiece, IMO. It's not simply a good Starcraft book; it's a good book period. It provides a much greater level of depth to the characters and the story, adding new dimensions while still feeling incredibly true to the game. It's got a wonderful cynicism about it that just fits the Starcraft universe perfectly. Also, if awesomeness were a religion, Mike Liberty would be God.

"Shadow of the Xel'naga" was kind of mediocre. To be honest, I hardly remember it.

"Speed of Darkness" is the only one I didn't like at all. It was bleak and depressing and never really went anywhere or told us anything we didn't already know.

"Nova" was great. Keith DeCandido did an amazing job of making the grimy underbelly of Tarsonis come to life. I highly recommend it.

"Queen of Blades" was a very rigid novelization of the Zerg campaign from SC1, but that said, I still enjoyed it a quite a bit. It's very descriptive and offers a lot of nostalgia if you're a big SC1 fan. Plus, it has some relevance for being the first appearance of Matt Horner. So, yeah, I liked it.

"I, Mengsk" was good but not great. The author did a great job of making Arcturus into a realistic character with a good arc and managed to avoid falling into the traps of making him too good or too evil, but outside of Arcturus, the book was kind of dull and didn't offer a lot of earth-shaking revelations or truly spectacular moments.

"Heaven's Devils" was all right. It's an interesting insight into the history of Terrans in the Koprulu Sector, but it wasn't very well written, and there weren't a lot of stand-out moments. It was interesting to read once, but ultimately a bit forgettable. Ryk Kydd was cool, though. Would like to see that character be revisited sometime.

I pretty much agree with MarioFan on "The Dark Templar Saga." It was brilliant, especially book one. Rosemary Dahl is honestly one of the best characters I have ever seen anywhere, ever, and if you have even the slightest interest in the Xel'naga or the Protoss, you will love these books. Even if you're not an especially big Protoss fan, there's easily enough action, emotion, and mystery to keep pretty much anyone entertained.

I like your details, though I have not read Queen of Blades, Nova, Heaven's Devils, and Dark Templar Saga.

1st post on the forums XD

I, Mengsk explains how Arcturus acted like his father to a degree as he got older, and eventually came to act like a Confederate, the exact opposite of what his friends and family expected.
I like that one a lot too.

(P.S. I'm confident there's more than 6 SC book series. But I don't know.)

DT saga after I read Queen of Blades! Yeah!!!

Oh, and what about the comic ones? The ones with the pictures like Warpigs?
And I also heard that there was a "Starcraft: Frontier", though I'm not sure of the title, I think I have yet to know what it is.
Reply Quote
05/09/2011 05:51 AMPosted by NoVice

Yes, there was a comic series. It was nothing terribly special.

05/09/2011 05:51 AMPosted by NoVice
And I also heard that there was a "Starcraft: Frontier", though I'm not sure of the title, I think I have yet to know what it is.

You're probably thinking of the manga series, "Frontline." It featured a number of short stories in the Starcraft universe. Their quality varied wildly, so it's hard to judge the series as a whole.

There was also the "Ghost Academy" manga series. It was well-written and interesting if you're a big Nova fan, but it wasn't really spectacular in any way.
Reply Quote
05/09/2011 09:35 AMPosted by Centauri

Yes, there was a comic series. It was nothing terribly special.

You're probably thinking of the manga series, "Frontline." It featured a number of short stories in the Starcraft universe. Their quality varied wildly, so it's hard to judge the series as a whole.

There was also the "Ghost Academy" manga series. It was well-written and interesting if you're a big Nova fan, but it wasn't really spectacular in any way.

Ok... I'll stick to the boring no-picture books then. XD
Reply Quote
I honestly liked Liberty's crusade quite a lot, along with I, Mengsk. Shadow of the Xel Naga and speed of darkness were ok, nothing really great. Firstborn was seriously great, haven't read the other 2 tho :)
Reply Quote
05/14/2011 10:06 PMPosted by IStoleUrCar
I honestly liked Liberty's crusade quite a lot, along with I, Mengsk. Shadow of the Xel Naga and speed of darkness were ok, nothing really great. Firstborn was seriously great, haven't read the other 2 tho :)

Are you planning on buying them? :D
I think I plan to do so, after my book, Queen of Blades, arrive. :D
Reply Quote
05/14/2011 10:06 PMPosted by IStoleUrCar
Firstborn was seriously great, haven't read the other 2 tho :)

"Firstborn" was the best of the trilogy, but the next two books are definitely still worth it. The second one got a little slow but had some good stuff with Rosemary, and the third was seriously epic and will turn your entire view of the Starcraft universe on its head. Also, it has some pretty cool stuff with Zeratul.

...I totally can't remember the names of those books right now. ><
Reply Quote
05/15/2011 08:16 PMPosted by Centauri
Firstborn was seriously great, haven't read the other 2 tho :)

"Firstborn" was the best of the trilogy, but the next two books are definitely still worth it. The second one got a little slow but had some good stuff with Rosemary, and the third was seriously epic and will turn your entire view of the Starcraft universe on its head. Also, it has some pretty cool stuff with Zeratul.

...I totally can't remember the names of those books right now. ><

I'm getting excited for this! :D
LoL.
Let me just say "Pls. Don't spoil. Thanks!" :D

P.S.
Your not spoiling.
Reply Quote
I have:
Starcraft achive. queen of blades, starcraft ghost, i mensgk, heaven's devils and devil's due, they are all amazing books!
Reply Quote
06/18/2011 06:56 PMPosted by Komodo
Starcraft achive. queen of blades, starcraft ghost, i mensgk, heaven's devils and devil's due, they are all amazing books!

Dude! Good for you!!!
Now, I finished Queen of Blades.

But man, Dark Templar Saga is still not delivered. :'(
I have to read those 3 books, and I haven't even started the 1st. :'(

After DT Saga, I'll move on to Heaven's Devils and Devil's Due. :3
Reply Quote
Why are they producing SC: Ghost: Spectres if there is no SC: Ghost, and will probably never be one? O.o
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]