StarCraft® II

Starcraft Books!

My prodiction is Nova is gonna get kidnapped from the Protoss & become the Queen of Xel Naga ^_^

Hahaha! LoL! :P :D

I've already ordered Nova, Spectres, and Devil's Due. The only problem is...
WHERE ARE THEY?!?!?!?!?! AAAGGGGHHHHH!!!! THAT BOOKSTORE IS SLOW AS HECK!

But I got no other choice, since my last bookstore closed down. :'(
Reply Quote
Dark Tenplar Saga was great!!! Definatelly the best written of what I have read.
Hevans Devils and Devils due were good. Only problem is that you know Jimmy and Findaly have to survive so that was in the back of my mind the whole time but I did like the books.

Iliberty's crusade It just the Terran campaign you already know what happens if you have played Starcraft. Did have memories of playing a few of the missions! I liked parts of it but it being poorly written detracted from the book as a whole.
Reply Quote
What in the world? I just typed up a long rant about why Shadow of the Xel'Naga was so horrendous, and then I hit preview and it refreshed the page, deleting my entire discussion...

I'm not retyping the whole thing, so I'll just summarize:

1. Nothing of the story is of any consequence to any other part of StarCraft lore.
2. Story jumps all over the place like it was written by "an ADHD child who just had some espresso to wash down some sugar-coated crack".
3. Battles have no flow, the book felt like it was just trying to fit as many references to the original game as possible without any point or purpose to it.
4. The Xel'Naga artifact which is the very center of the story is never properly explained or explored.
Reply Quote
I am always up for a good read. That being said, In the list that I have found of SC2 books Heaven's Devils was one I couldn't put down.
Reply Quote
The Devil's Due is one that I am reading now. It is good but not like Heaven's Devils. So far they both fill in the blank spots in the history of the main heroes in the game.
Reply Quote
Ok so I got into the Starcraft books about 6 months back and read a lot of them.
In my Opinion

Dark Templar Saga: is the best written and it's a trilogy can't ask for more.

Flashpoint: it starts where WoL campaign leaves off bridge between WoL and HotS

Queen of Blades: Good enough to be wishing for more chapters at the end of it.

Heavens Devils: Best written Action/Battle sequences of all the Starcraft Books I've read.

I, Mengsk: :) broken into three generations of Mengsk A fun read.

Devils Due: Jimmy and Tychus as outlaws on the run

Recommend /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\
------—----------—----------—----------—------------
Don't Recommend \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/ \/

Liberty's Crusade: If you played SC1 Terran Campaign it's nothing new you know what's going to happen. But it did bring back some nostalgia moments; it makes you want to play some old missions

Nova: Gives you some insight into ghosts and some nova back story but other than alittle of that it just feels like it lacked substance.
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 11:19 AMPosted by Tuna
Dark Tenplar Saga was great!!!

High 5! XD

09/30/2012 11:25 PMPosted by MarioFanXV
Shadow of the Xel'Naga

Somehow, it was just the revelation of the Xel'Naga race. Eventhough it jumped from 1 place to the other, I had fun imagining it... Especially at the last scene, where one of the military dudes has an eye for the main character. :D
I felt that it was kind of out of place, but that just made me giggle. XD

10/01/2012 09:08 AMPosted by Nicholas
I am always up for a good read.

If it's a starcraft book, I have a hard time studying, or focusing on anything else other than reading.... Aside from a meal, ofcourse. Reading for hours just makes me so hungry! XD

11/09/2012 03:42 AMPosted by Tuna
Flashpoint: it starts where WoL campaign leaves off bridge between WoL and HotS

I've read all books of Starcraft, aside from the comics.... This one, I must have my hands on.
>.<
Reply Quote
Hey! Im trying to find the first book.
Uprising.
If you buy the book called Archive its only has 3 of the stories... But there is 4..
You can buy it on a e Book but i want a physical one.
Can someone help me!? I can't find any on eBay or Amazon.
I don't come on here a lot so email me please!
ammonclark@hotmail.com
Reply Quote
Uprising, Liberty's Crusade, Speed of Darkness, Shadow of the Xelnaga and Flashpoint.

I found Uprising and Liberty okay in my book, albeit Michael being a bit awkwardly shoe-horned in.

Speed of Darkness was pretty cool and showed what happened with the psi emitter on Mar Sara.
Shadow of the Xelnaga....meh. Meh book is meh.

Flashpoint was fine.

I have yet to read the others (if I had to pick, it would probably be the Dark Templar saga or I, Mengsk).
Reply Quote
Uprising, Liberty's Crusade, Speed of Darkness, Shadow of the Xelnaga and Flashpoint.

I found Uprising and Liberty okay in my book, albeit Michael being a bit awkwardly shoe-horned in.

Speed of Darkness was pretty cool and showed what happened with the psi emitter on Mar Sara.
Shadow of the Xelnaga....meh. Meh book is meh.

Flashpoint was fine.

I have yet to read the others (if I had to pick, it would probably be the Dark Templar saga or I, Mengsk).

And what about SC Ghost Nova and SC Ghost Spectres?
Reply Quote
Alright, at this point, I've read everything except Uprising (I have it as part of the Archives, but never got around to reading it), so here's how I'd recommend each of the books:

Game to Book Adaptations - Liberty's Crusade and Queen of Blades
Decent reads, they flesh out a bit of the gaps in the first two episodes of StarCraft. Liberty's Crusade isn't too vital, it's mostly stuff you'll already be familiar with, but Queen of Blades gives Raynor's perspective of the second episode of StarCraft, and goes into detail with how he and the Raiders befriended Tassadar and Zeratul. All in all, I'd suggest skipping Liberty's Crusade, but reading Queen of Blades.

Ghost Saga - StarCraft Ghost: Nova, StarCraft Ghost: Spectres, and StarCraft: Ghost Academy
Nova is a great book; not without its flaws, but it gave a lot of personality to a character I expected to hate. Having played WoL before reading this novel, I didn't have high hopes for it (since Nova is quite shallow in the game given just how little screen time she has), but after reading it, she quickly became one of my favorite characters. I'm including Ghost Academy in here instead of in the comics section because it's directly connected to these novels, and they reference back and forth to each other. All great and worth reading, and they will give you a new appreciation for Nova if you found her lacking in SC2.

Dark Templar Saga - Firstborn, Shadow Hunters, and Twilight
READ THEM NOW! These are some of the best novels I have ever read. I would recommend them not only to StarCraft fans, or even to sci-fi/fantasy fans, but to any book lovers. I mention this trilogy in the same breath as classics such as Foundation, Narnia, and Lord of the Rings. From start to finish, they are amazing, and they also are the best books for understanding the gaps between StarCraft and StarCraft II. Plus, you get to tell people that you read the good Twilight.

Heaven's Devils Duology - Heaven's Devils and Devils' Due
Heaven's Devils was a real chore to read through... It was far from the worst book I've ever read, but it wasn't particularly good. I will give Deitz credit- the man knows how to write great action sequences. But he has no clue how to link them together with a solid and engaging plot. Devils' Due was much better in that regard- there wasn't nearly as much action, but it kept things interesting regardless. I won't go into spoilers, but I will say I cried when Raynor was hearing his father's last words; if nothing else Heaven's Devils is worth reading just so Devils' Due makes sense, and the latter really is a great book.

Comics - StarCraft (Wildstorm comics) and Frontline
I'll refer to the Wildstorm comics as the "War Pigs Saga" for simplicity. I have issue 0 which comes with the Wings of Liberty Collector's Edition, you're not really missing much if you don't have it... Then again, the entire series is pretty dry and mediocre. You learn about the Warpigs, and why they're already working for the Raiders... There's really not much beyond that, I wouldn't recommend it. Frontline is very much a mixed bag... Which is to be expected considering that there's so many different writers involved. All in all, I'd say it's worth a read, as some of the side stories really are interesting, and explore parts of the StarCraft universe which simply don't warrant a full novel's attention.

Others - Shadow of the Xel'Naga, Speed of Darkness, I, Mengsk, and Flashpoint
There's no clean way to organize these, so I'll just clump them together here at the end. Shadow of the Xel'Naga is not only the worst StarCraft novel I read, it's one of the worst novels I have read in my entire life- certainly the worst that I've actually finished. It felt like so many moments were just shoehorned in to show different units from the game, and nothing of consequence really happens in the book. The book was unable to focus on any real plot, just jumping between scenes at random like an ADHD kid who just washed down a piece of sugar-coated crack with a mouthful of espresso. No one important is effected in any manner whatsoever: Anyone who was there from the games left completely unchanged, and anyone knew either ends up dead or is never heard from again; and rightly so! This book does not deserve to be remembered, avoid it at all cost. That rant aside, let's get back to the other books...

Speed of Darkness is decent; it's interesting, and gives a neat look into the horrors of resocialization, but the overall plot is rather dry. Not a bad book, but not a great one; I'd recommend reading it if you get the Archives, though I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

I, Mengsk is one of my favorites. Then again, you can probably tell by my choice of avatar that I'm a fan of Valerian, so I'm probably biased, but it does give a good bit of detail for the backstory of both Arcturus and Valerian, and showing how different they truly are from one another.

And finally, we have Flashpoint, which connects Wings of Liberty to Heart of the Swarm... If that was all it did, I'd say it's not really that important, as there's not that much that needs explaining that doesn't get explained in HotS itself. However, it does a great job of this, and it also has something else going for it: It goes into depth about the relationship that Raynor and Kerrigan had during the first episode of StarCraft, no longer leaving us to try and imagine and fill in the gaps between "Yeah, but you were thinking it." and "Drop the knight in shining armor routine; it suits you sometimes, just not- not now.", with those two lines implying that there was a pretty big gap we weren't seeing in their relationship. All in all, an excellent book, with lots of development for Raynor, Matt, Kerrigan, Valerian, and even a good bit for Mira Han.
Reply Quote
Game to Book Adaptations - Liberty's Crusade and Queen of Blades
Decent reads, they flesh out a bit of the gaps in the first two episodes of StarCraft. Liberty's Crusade isn't too vital, it's mostly stuff you'll already be familiar with, but Queen of Blades gives Raynor's perspective of the second episode of StarCraft, and goes into detail with how he and the Raiders befriended Tassadar and Zeratul. All in all, I'd suggest skipping Liberty's Crusade, but reading Queen of Blades.

For me. Queen of Blades overemphasized Kerrigan's ability. Given her vulnerability in WoL, having Tassadar and Zeratul fight her at the same time should have taken its toll on her.

08/19/2013 03:04 PMPosted by MarioFanXV
Nova is a great book; not without its flaws, but it gave a lot of personality to a character I expected to hate. Having played WoL before reading this novel, I didn't have high hopes for it (since Nova is quite shallow in the game given just how little screen time she has), but after reading it, she quickly became one of my favorite characters. I'm including Ghost Academy in here instead of in the comics section because it's directly connected to these novels, and they reference back and forth to each other. All great and worth reading, and they will give you a new appreciation for Nova if you found her lacking in SC2.

This is why Nova became one of my fav characters as well. She does share similarities with Kerrigan before her infestation, and this is why I hope she'll return in LotV.

READ THEM NOW! These are some of the best novels I have ever read. I would recommend them not only to StarCraft fans, or even to sci-fi/fantasy fans, but to any book lovers. I mention this trilogy in the same breath as classics such as Foundation, Narnia, and Lord of the Rings. From start to finish, they are amazing, and they also are the best books for understanding the gaps between StarCraft and StarCraft II. Plus, you get to tell people that you read the good Twilight.

These are among my fav ones. Especially Twilight, since we got to learn pieces of the prophecy right there. It was a shame for the 1st two books we didn't get to see much of Valerian's personality. For the 1st two books, Valerian seemed WAY too vague.

Heaven's Devils was a real chore to read through... It was far from the worst book I've ever read, but it wasn't particularly good. I will give Deitz credit- the man knows how to write great action sequences. But he has no clue how to link them together with a solid and engaging plot. Devils' Due was much better in that regard- there wasn't nearly as much action, but it kept things interesting regardless. I won't go into spoilers, but I will say I cried when Raynor was hearing his father's last words; if nothing else Heaven's Devils is worth reading just so Devils' Due makes sense, and the latter really is a great book.

Both were good, but Devil's Due gave the closure of how Raynor got the 2nd chance while Tychus was sent to prison. And it showed there was more to Tychus than just doing it for the fun. He too had his morales and ethics. Plus it showed the other side of Raynor, and he was FAR from a saint.

Shadow of the Xel'Naga is not only the worst StarCraft novel I read, it's one of the worst novels I have read in my entire life- certainly the worst that I've actually finished. It felt like so many moments were just shoehorned in to show different units from the game, and nothing of consequence really happens in the book. The book was unable to focus on any real plot, just jumping between scenes at random like an ADHD kid who just washed down a piece of sugar-coated crack with a mouthful of espresso. No one important is effected in any manner whatsoever: Anyone who was there from the games left completely unchanged, and anyone knew either ends up dead or is never heard from again; and rightly so! This book does not deserve to be remembered, avoid it at all cost. That rant aside, let's get back to the other books...

Shadow of Xel'Naga didn't exactly suck, it did tie in SLIGHTLY with the beginning of the Dark Templar Saga Part 1: Firstborn

I, Mengsk is one of my favorites. Then again, you can probably tell by my choice of avatar that I'm a fan of Valerian, so I'm probably biased, but it does give a good bit of detail for the backstory of both Arcturus and Valerian, and showing how different they truly are from one another.

This is one I haven't finished, I only read the Valerian part. But even with this, and the 3 Dark Templar Saga books, it was hard to see if Valerian was good or evil. I REALLY hoped the former, but Blizzard didn't prove enough evidence to prove it so.

And finally, we have Flashpoint, which connects Wings of Liberty to Heart of the Swarm... If that was all it did, I'd say it's not really that important, as there's not that much that needs explaining that doesn't get explained in HotS itself. However, it does a great job of this, and it also has something else going for it: It goes into depth about the relationship that Raynor and Kerrigan had during the first episode of StarCraft, no longer leaving us to try and imagine and fill in the gaps between "Yeah, but you were thinking it." and "Drop the knight in shining armor routine; it suits you sometimes, just not- not now.", with those two lines implying that there was a pretty big gap we weren't seeing in their relationship. All in all, an excellent book, with lots of development for Raynor, Matt, Kerrigan, Valerian, and even a good bit for Mira Han.

This book proved not all mercenaries were just cutthroats. Glad to see Mira had her ethic values and everything.

The book finally began to show more of Valerian's character, and after this book, it seemed VERY unlikely to me that Blizzard would make Valerian evil...
Reply Quote

For me. Queen of Blades overemphasized Kerrigan's ability. Given her vulnerability in WoL, having Tassadar and Zeratul fight her at the same time should have taken its toll on her.

She was vulnerable in WoL? I recall her picking up battlecruisers and casually crushing them, as well as being stated as immune to conventional weapons. Xel'naga artifact could depower her but it was considered the only effective way to take her out.
Reply Quote
I've finally read Uprising, and with that, all I have left to read in the series are some short stories, most of which are here on the official site.

As for Uprising itself, it's a good book, a bit predictable if you're already familiar with StarCraft, but that's just the consequence of it being a prequel. Regardless, it's enjoyable and well written.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]