Intel based Macbook pro Heat Issues

I have a 15" intel 2.6 9600gt macbook pro and im running both smc fan control and a basic fancontol.app and i have all my fans running base speed at 3500rpm and my mac is still heating up when i launch sc2. I find my temp runs on average in the high 90c range. I have also reduced the framerates on the game and still no effect on my macbook pro. Any help to cool ma mac would be greatly appreciated.

Just to recap (things i have done to help the heat issue)
1. reduce framerate [details in link http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/224842575]
2. Smc fan control [http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049/smcfancontrol] or extendedfancontrol [http://www.derman.com/MacBook-Pro-Fan-Control] (i personal like efc better)
3. Install istat menus (this will help you see your temps in your mbp) [http://bjango.com/apps/istatmenus/]
4. Clean out the dust (thank you whiteman) [http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/]
5. All else fails buy a cooling pad. or dont play sc2.....:(

Edited by Roadkill on 8/2/2010 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote
lock your framerate at 32, that's what I did.
Reply Quote
I have a 15" intel 2.6 9600gt macbook pro and im running both smc fan control and a basic fancontol.app and i have all my fans running base speed at 3500rpm and my mac is still heating up when i launch sc2. I find my temp runs on average in the high 90c range. I have also reduced the framerates on the game and still no effect on my macbook pro. Any help to cool ma mac would be greatly appreciated.

well u should run the fans at 6000RPM because 90c is getting damn hot!!!

I always pump them to 6000RPM when i start sc2

even at 6000RPM my temp is 65-70
Edited by Whiteman on 8/1/2010 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
SMC can only go up to 3500 rpm base :(. I have lock my framerate at 30 it helped a bit but not too much. Im thinking of buying a cooling station for ma mac. But i dunno.. my temp gages say that the actual gpu diode is the hottest... Kinda makes of sense. But like i reallly dont want to wreck ma laptop. When playing sc2... Thanks for the advice tho.

Just ran sc2 and yet my temp hit 80-95c wtf. (with the fans now at 6200 rpm)
Edited by Roadkill on 8/1/2010 2:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How do you go about locking the framerate in SC2 on mac? I would like to max it at 30 myself.
Nevermind just found out how to do it.
Edited by Toastman on 8/1/2010 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
SMC can only go up to 3500 rpm base :(. I have lock my framerate at 30 it helped a bit but not too much. Im thinking of buying a cooling station for ma mac. But i dunno.. my temp gages say that the actual gpu diode is the hottest... Kinda makes of sense. But like i reallly dont want to wreck ma laptop. When playing sc2... Thanks for the advice tho.

Just ran sc2 and yet my temp hit 80-95c wtf. (with the fans now at 6200 rpm)

ok well i would now remove the back aluminum plate and clean off the dust from your fans/vents
Reply Quote
I brought it into apple they say alls good with the unit. So i just installed etendedfancontrol and seems to work better. Apple says sc2 is a heavily graphically dependent game and my mac heating up is normal...... Oooook.......That hot isnt tho.
Reply Quote
I brought it into apple they say alls good with the unit. So i just installed etendedfancontrol and seems to work better. Apple says sc2 is a heavily graphically dependent game and my mac heating up is normal...... Oooook.......That hot isnt tho.

yea i would do what i said though
Reply Quote
Is this a nvidia card by chance?

Nah its the actual mbp. They tend to heat up.

Whiteman: the genius bar actually did a full service so they cleaned out ma mbp and shiz. Thanks for all the help tho.

I think personally im just going to get a cooling pad to resolve this issue.

Edit: i did see a post on the forums about the nividia problem tho.

Edited by Roadkill on 8/2/2010 7:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote

I do notice on mine that when usung the 9600GT it does run hotter then when using the 9400M

Ok roadkill its still weird i got a 1st gen unbody 15in MBP and mine runs at 65-70c sometimes alittle over 70c

Reply Quote

I do notice on mine that when usung the 9600GT it does run hotter then when using the 9400M

Ok roadkill its still weird i got a 1st gen unbody 15in MBP and mine runs at 65-70c sometimes alittle over 70c

I have notice when running flash based programs mbp get reallly hot so if your mbp is in the 65-70c range thats not too bad. what is your gpu diode heat?
Reply Quote
Lock your FPS at 30. It will prevent your MPB from sending all of it's resources to SC2, and thus, prevent over-excessive heat.

Here is how you do it, credit goes to the SC2 mac performance guide:

Go to
Macintosh HD\Users\TheUserYouInstalledSC2Under\Documents\Blizzard\StarCraft II\"

There should be a file called something like Variables. Open that with textedit. Once it opens up, just put in the following:

frameratecap=30
frameratecapGlue=30

That should keep your framerate at 30 FPS.

Also, have you tried out a laptop cooler? I know that places like office depot and bestbuy sell laptop cooler fan pads that you stick under laptops. I haven't tried one out, but a lot of people say that it works.
Reply Quote
Lock your FPS at 30. It will prevent your MPB from sending all of it's resources to SC2, and thus, prevent over-excessive heat.

Here is how you do it, credit goes to the SC2 mac performance guide:

Go to
Macintosh HD\Users\TheUserYouInstalledSC2Under\Documents\Blizzard\StarCraft II\"

There should be a file called something like Variables. Open that with textedit. Once it opens up, just put in the following:

frameratecap=30
frameratecapGlue=30

That should keep your framerate at 30 FPS.

Also, have you tried out a laptop cooler? I know that places like office depot and bestbuy sell laptop cooler fan pads that you stick under laptops. I haven't tried one out, but a lot of people say that it works.

Thank you toonboom for the advice. I have already done this (check the first comment)
Reply Quote

I have notice when running flash based programs mbp get reallly hot so if your mbp is in the 65-70c range thats not too bad. what is your gpu diode heat?

Oh i forgot to say this is while runnin sc2 and i'm not caping my FPS too
Reply Quote
I have a MBP from a few years ago (17" 2.4ghz dual core) and it gets hot enough to fry an egg above the Fkeys.

One thing I did was get these rubber stick on feet they make for stereo equipment that keeps it up off the table for good under air flow. They sell them at home depot or lows.

Its been fine and I've played a ton of WoW on it many many many hours at a time for several years. It worried me at first but then I just started thinking of the whole laptop as a big heatsink. Now I'm actually hoping it would fail so I can have a reason to buy a new one!
Edited by Bader on 8/2/2010 3:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]