StarCraft® II

Heart of the Swarm Theorycraft

The ending was a bit... off to me, but based on the information from the wiki, it'll at least give us some place to go. I'm curious as to what Kerrigan's motives were in Wings of Liberty, since they never were explained, maybe she was just corrupted by power, and the remaining influence of the Overmind.

As for Heart of the Swarm... I refuse to accept the idea that the only purpose of mutations will be to increase Kerrigan's control of the Zerg, that'd be seriously boring. At the end of everything, she'll probably be able to take on a whole army by herself thanks to that awesome power.

I also don't think the Hybrid's will be a playable option, they have been depicted as being universally bad. They way they control the Protoss and the Zerg shows us they're not willing to work with them, only destroy them.

What I'm REALLY hoping for is being able to use that huge Leviathan unit from the end of Wings of Liberty, that thing is friggin' scary, and friggin' BAD-ASS.
Reply Quote
Hoping for the return of the playable cerebrate.
And Daggoth!
Oh, right...

you made sadness return to me with that quote. Daggoth died, and Araq got killed due to kerrigans impatience. And the cerebrate who beat three factions at once just died for no reason.
Reply Quote
Right. Zeratul reveals that Kerrigan is the only one who can save them now, and that is why Jim wasn't supposed to kill her. The Heart of the Swarm will probably be about her preparing herself to be ready, because she will realize her importance to the survival of all.

This!

I do think she's on the side of good now. So no more evil queen of blades. But, if her hair is any indication, she's still somewhat "infested."

I think the expansion will involve her on a quest to get stronger in order to combat the hybrids.

I think the reason they went the good guy route is for one major reason.

So she can have a strong supporting cast in the story. If she's good, that means you can easily incorporate Jimmy and the rest of the raiders, along with Zeratul and other protoss into major secondary characters if not main characters.
Reply Quote
The way i see it is, although she is not the Queen of Blades anymore, shes still a powerfull psy char and prob still know how to control the zerg.

So yeah the new campaign may be about making her stronger, as a control force, to better drive the swarm even tho shes human, to use them as fodder on the hybrid war.

And what the above poster said, after BW i dont think anyone would trust the Queen of Blades anymore, so she couldnt have a support group, now she can.
Edited by Praetor on 8/1/2010 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If Sarah Kerrigan retains any memory from before the Artifact bombed her, then I don't see any reason why she should suddenly have her whole personality changed just because of that.

She should still remember that power which was in her hands, and I don't think you can say the infestation warped her personality because, after she killed all the cerebrates and the Overmind was left to die by the hands of Tassadar, what was left to pull the strings other than Kerrigan herself? She became power-hungry because she was left with power in her hands, and if you're telling me all of that is forgotten, her hatred for Arcturus Mengsk, against the Ghost program, and Zeratul; then the whole Brood War arc is useless. Kerrigan also has crimes to answer to, who would let her go off easy with all the mayhem she wrought?

Why would Kerrigan forfeit all that power even if she is human? She had control of an entire swarm of alien creatures, immortality, and heavily amped psionic powers. Power corrupts, and I doubt it left Kerrigan's persona unscathed.

Kerrigan has to rise back to power, but in a way that Wings of Liberty still has a meaning... Maybe Kerrigan will bend Jim Raynor to her will and together they take down Arcturus Mengsk before revealing her true scheme?

Whatever it is, Heart of the Swarm is KERRIGAN's story, as mentioned in the text after you beat the last mission. Because of the title, the Zerg are almost definitely going to be under the player's control, and if Kerrigan is the main character of HotS, then she must have SOME kind of control over them, and some control will suggest that Kerrigan still has the Queen of Blades in her.
Reply Quote
She doesn't need to be the Evil Queen of Blades to cotnrol the Zerg and assimilate everything. She'll be human Kerrigan getting stronger and using the swarm to stop the Hybrid.
Reply Quote
For me, the Zerg have always been about being evil. Because let's face it, sometimes you just want to infest everything and crush your enemies with a million Zerglings. Just as in Warcraft 3, sometimes you just want to kill people, turn them into zombies, and tell them to go make you a sandwich. Bad is good, in terms of spicing up the flow of the game.

Putting the words "Good" and "Zerg" together cannot well. It was a stretch in Brood War, but even then it was clear manipulation.

The most likely option is for HOTS to be a flashback, and it's revealed that Kerrigan planned ahead for the whole cured-by-artifact contingency so she could be re-infested. I wouldn't be surprised if she'd done something completely insane like turn herself into a new Overmind and/or give Jim a clone to "Rescue", but it'd be too much of a slap in the face to the happy ending of WoL. We'd have been better off having the happy ending involve overthrowing Mengsk, to be honest.
Reply Quote
I just hope they do not infest Sarah Kerrigan again. She should remain human and there are probably ways she can work with the Zerg without being the Queen of Blades. Like someone else pointed out in another thread the expansion will be called "Heart" of the Swarm. I think it'll show a different perspective on the Zerg. I'm really looking forward to the story. As long as Kerrigan does not revert back in to a Zerg I'll be happy.
Reply Quote
I like the idea of a flashback into revealing the scheme of her humanization, but I don't like the idea of a bunch of missions being failures of attempting to retrieve the Artifact pieces...
Reply Quote
I'm confused about two things:

One - Why are the Zerg considered evil? They're animals, they operate on instinct. What they're doing may seem evil from our perspective, but so would a dingo eating a baby. But the dingo isn't evil, it's just hungry. And besides, we've already seen that the intelligence controlling the Zerg (the Overmind) was doing what it did for the good of the universe... even though it seems a little strange in retrospect.

Two - Why can't Kerrigan stay Infested? I mean, we've seen evidence that she will remain so from the way "mutations" is used on the wiki (but that might just be wishful thinking on my part). I can see Valarian being wrong about the function of the Xel'Naga artifact. He's just a monkey, what does he know about the tools of creatures that may as well be gods to us?
Reply Quote
Kerrigan was probably after the artifacts because she may have seen them as a threat that would increase the chances of her getting a spike through her head.

Maybe the artifact wiped out the part of her infestation that drove her to be the Queen of Blades.
Maybe it wiped out her infestation but remained a zeerg/human Hybrid (but more human now than zerg) I really don't know and look forward to the answers in HoTS. Hopefully theyll let us know something at blizzcon.
Reply Quote
The hair on her reminds me of protoss tendrils...perhaps just her link to the zerg remained while the rest was purged...
Reply Quote
I'm confused about two things:

One - Why are the Zerg considered evil? They're animals, they operate on instinct. What they're doing may seem evil from our perspective, but so would a dingo eating a baby. But the dingo isn't evil, it's just hungry. And besides, we've already seen that the intelligence controlling the Zerg (the Overmind) was doing what it did for the good of the universe... even though it seems a little strange in retrospect.

In Starcraft 1, we saw the personality and ambition of the Overmind (consume all, become perfect, etc.) and then jumped into the Protoss campaign, where they see the Zerg as evil. There wasn't room for the Overmind to elaborate on his plans, so we just see the "universal domination" part. Then we had the UED (in Terran sense, evil because they want to rule everyone else) taking control of the Zerg and using them as a weapon. Kerrigan (Zerg at the time) killed Fenix and Duke, two of the coolest characters in the game (imo). It creates bitterness, so yeah... we hate the Zerg.

Two - Why can't Kerrigan stay Infested? I mean, we've seen evidence that she will remain so from the way "mutations" is used on the wiki (but that might just be wishful thinking on my part). I can see Valarian being wrong about the function of the Xel'Naga artifact. He's just a monkey, what does he know about the tools of creatures that may as well be gods to us?

You have a good point. How does Valarian know about the artifacts? Perhaps he's also been in contact with Zeratul. But even then- How does Zeratul know about the artifacts? All of the information that he got from the Overmind (as far as we saw) was the end of the world.

-Off topic-The artifact shares a similar weapon use to the Xel'Naga temple on Shakuras. I'm not proficient with the lore of Starcraft, but both the Temple and Artifact seem to be weapons directed specifically towards the Zerg. That means that they probably went to war (which is accurate, as far as I know, Xel'naga vs. Zerg). The artifact was probably used by the Xel'naga, the Overmind captured it, separated it, and hid the pieces across the galaxy to be used to save Kerrigan at a later time. That's my theory anyway.
Reply Quote
I'm actually interested in whats going to happen to kerrigan now that shes all human again. ohh and the fate of the swarm.
Reply Quote
Perhaps Kerrigan will have to make the ultimate sacrifice to save everyone, that being reinfestation. Giving up her humanity which she had regained, but perhaps rekindling her human emotions. Reinfestation is a possibility. But this time on her terms.

I could definitely see a love conflict causing Jim much pain, but eventually he realizes he has to give up what he fought so hard for to save the universe.
Reply Quote
It said the overmind was a prisoner trapped in his own mind and the only thing he was able to do was to make kerrigan zerg to save the swarm if the xel naga come and kerrigan was killed then the universe would die I think that the xel naga or whoever created the overmind also had control over kerrigan well some control and I think her becoming human again broke that chain around her neck which brings back the sweet deadly kerrigan that we know ^_^
Reply Quote
I have a pretty good idea on what happened, I think.

All throughout Starcraft, Broodwars and WoL Kerrigan has been sending out psychic pleas to Raynor, not all the time, but it has occured on more than 1 occasion (I recall hearing it during the 'All In' mission for example). This leads me to believe that the Overmind, when he infested Kerrigan, realized that her old personality would do him no good so forged a new personality to take control of the infested Kerrigan, one that still had access to all the old memories.

Now, however, the Xel'Naga artifact cleansed her of the majority of her infestation, and more than likely the new personality that the Overmind had created for Kerrigan. This means that new, mostly Terran but still partially zerg Kerrigan is now back, the personality anyways.

HotS will more than likely focus on Kerrigan's old personality coming to grips with whats been done to her and goes on a mission to regain control of the swarm, but this time under the old personality of Sarah Kerrigan, instead of the new one, the QoB. This is kind of what the meaning of 'heart' in Heart of the Swarm is. It's turning the zerg swarm into more than just a mindless mass of ever evolving, devouring organisms.

However while Jim Raynor can accept Kerrigan and forgive her, and Zeratul can swallow his pride for the sake of salvation, I imagine there are many others that won't be as accepting of Kerrigan. I can see there being a lot of conflicts in HotS where Kerrigan not only tries to regain control of the swarm and transform it into something better than what it was, but also having to fight and convince the rest of the Terran and Protoss races that she's reformed; that she's no longer the 'Queen of Blades'.

And while this may just be a flightful fancy, there's probably 2 reasons why Kerrigan is important. First off I don't believe the Xel'Naga made the Terrans, the Terrans came from a different source, thus they can actually be the wedge in the plan of the Xel'Naga's. Also I believe Kerrigan needs to be able to take control of the swarm to prevent the Hybrids from taking control over it. I also don't believe she can do it as she is. She needs to become something more than she was, something even greater than the QoB. I honestly think she'll probably become part Protoss in addition to being part Terran and part Zerg. That'd give her a significant edge over the Hybrids.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts, I think I'm probably pretty close to whats actually going to happen, but I doubt exactly. Oddly enough one of my predictions for SC2 before it even came out was that Jim Raynor would find some sort of Xel'Naga artifact and use it to cleanse Kerrigan of her infestation. Not saying that makes me think I'm any more right in this case, but I just found that interesting myself.
Edited by Arthain on 8/1/2010 10:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Prediction: Metzen will follow his beaten path of uniting all of the races against a common evil.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]