StarCraft® II

Does zerg need another unit?

I for one feel that Zerg need another unit. I think the units we currently have are great. However due to the lack of +Light and +Armored damage, and the only two units that are 1 supply being Zergling and Baneling, I think the Zerg should be far more versatile than they are now.

As I said, I don't have a problem with our current units, they are great. Even so, I feel Zerg is somehow a little underpowered. I think a way to fix this is give Zerg another useful unit. I don't particularly have a detailed idea for one.

I would like to see another unit that utilizes the ranged upgrade, able to attack both ground and air. As for where in the tech tree I'm not sure. Adding a T3 unit that could attack both ground and air would be nice, much more reason for me to tech to hive. A T1.5 1 supply unit would be nice for early air defense, without having to overload on queens.

An area attack unit would also be a great addition. As it is now we have two. The Baneling, witch dies when it attacks as well as having pretty low HP. The Ultralisk, Large and clumsy it doesn't mix well with other ground units and is really only useful in wide open areas. If you count the mutalisk's 3 hit attack we have three (Unless I'm missing one). I would say bring back the Lurker (I mean how bad could the area attack be compared to the colossus?) but blizzard seems pretty sure they don't want it back in the game.

Again I don't really have any detailed ideas as far as additional units go, but what are your thoughts? Do you think Zerg could use another unit, or do you think Zerg are fine as is and not underpowered at all? Some ideas on units, if you think we need another, are welcome as well.
Edited by Benanator on 8/2/2010 6:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I believe zerg are slightly underpowered. Just in the air defense department.

Funky, new units are probably coming with the expansion.
Reply Quote
I think ultra's height should be able to swing at air, and while hydras are more powerful now, I think they ought to still be t1 - even if they keep the cost. That aside, I think things would be a lot better.
Reply Quote
An immortal type unit would be cool

Zergling/baneling morph to scourge would be interesting
Edited by useful on 8/2/2010 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah i think another air presence would be beneficial maybe a tier 2 unit that like the viking can be air or ground but doesn't do a ton of damage in either form. This would give us earlier air with more versatility but not a game changing unit.
Reply Quote
Units that utilize ground ranged upgrade - roach, hydras, infested terrans

I think its worth it.

I don't know if zerg are underpowered, if they are it doesn't show too much at my level of game play. I mean, I make many macro mistakes and still get wins. I forget to spawn larva, I am constantly behind in making overlords, I am not consistently spreading spawn... but I still manage to win likely because of equally bad or worse opponents.
Reply Quote
Something just doesn't seem right with the zerg to me.

Perhaps they should let roaches evolve into lurkers or something.

But meh, I'm not much for zerg anyway. They require far too much effort to be successful, compared to the other races.
Edited by Zerdo on 8/2/2010 6:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Something just doesn't seem right with the zerg to me.

But meh, I'm not much for zerg anyway. They require far too much effort to be successful, compared to the other races.

I'd say thats part of the problem, aren't we supposed to be able to train a large force fast?
Reply Quote
...They require far too much effort to be successful, compared to the other races.

Every time I see someone say this I feel I should have worked on my Terran game rather than Zerg. Ha ha.

I like the Idea of Roaches evolving into Lurkers instead of Hydralisk, seeing as they are the units with the ability that complements burrow. Now I don't think lurkers (If by some magic brought back into the game) should keep the Roaches ability to move while burrowed. It just makes sense to me that the unit with a burrow ability would evolve to a unit that focuses on the burrow ability.
Reply Quote

And on that note I have to ask; what happened to Scourges? I know they exist, I have seen them in-game during the single player campaign, but why can't Zerg players build them in multiplayer? Can the Terrans and Protoss just not counter flying explosive Zerglings like they did in SC1 without ruining the balance between this game's new units?
Reply Quote

And on that note I have to ask; what happened to Scourges? I know they exist, I have seen them in-game during the single player campaign, but why can't Zerg players build them in multiplayer? Can the Terrans and Protoss just not counter flying explosive Zerglings like they did in SC1 without ruining the balance between this game's new units?

A good question. I am not sure why they got taken out of multiplayer, I never thought to look for the reason. Scourge with a high damage (and higher damager + Armored) Would be a great anti-air for Zerg. If they were made available with a baneling nest it would add great anti-air for Zerg early game. That however might be too early seeing as ZvZ would probably be trying to scourge each other's overlords before they can get the speed upgrade. If it was with the spire It would avoid that problem, but still leave Zerg a little low in Anti-air early game.

In the end I think Scourge available at baneling nest would be awesome sauce and help Zerg defend things like Banshee and Void Ray rushes.
Reply Quote
Could just make the scourge available at baneling nest after lair, perhaps the nest upgrades into a greater nest or something. It's late enough to not ruin zvz but earlier then mutas. Idk.
Reply Quote

I've thought that for a long time, both are armored and would make it T2.5 or so, it would give a huge benefit to the zerg arsenal, without making zerg OP, and its already in the game! i've played around with it in the editor, and working on making it playable, but still learning. The animation and such is really good on it too. there's always the hope it gets added, or some other kind of fix. Lurker seems like a popular solution
Reply Quote
They are not going to be added to multiplayer. Baneling and Roach both fill the roles that Lurker did.
Reply Quote
Roaches need to get their balls sewn back on. The gap left by their current weakness leaves us painfully open to mid-game pushes by Toss/Terran before we have a chance to break into T3.
Reply Quote
And so Hydra's, Muta's, Infestor's are nothing I suppose....
Reply Quote
They are not going to be added to multiplayer. Baneling and Roach both fill the roles that Lurker did.

Yes thats what blizzard says. I disagree strongly. The lurker was a Burrowed Area attack unit that did additional damage to armored units, and could attack more than once. The baneling is a one shot bomb with +light damage, and it can only use burrow like any other unit, no attacking while burrowed or even moving while burrowed. And as "One shot bomb" says, they can only attack once. Fail or succeed in attacking your money is gone. Seeing as the Lurker was +armored damage thats two different roles right there. Counter to Mech or Colossus? Yes please. Banelings would still be the counter to bioball.

The Roach uses burrow for two things. "Cloaked" movement and rapid regeneration. The Lurker used burrow for neither of these things ... It used Burrow to attack, and had to move above ground. Don't get me wrong Roaches regen while burrowed is great. But I don't see how you can compare it to what the Lurker did.

Just my opinion on that matter.
Reply Quote
Benanator summed it up nicely +1
Edited by Wegwen on 8/2/2010 7:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Lurkers were far too powerful of a defense for zerg in sc1. Without siege tanks or air units (given the lurkers werent around AA and they usually were) you couldnt get thru a ball of 8 or so without losing half your army.
However if lurkers were a silent, single-target attacker that would be different. No audible sound other than your guys dying or your alarm going WE ARE UNDER ATTACK! and a slight spiking graphic.

As for the air issue. GIVE US OUR DAMN SCOURGE BACK! Theyre in the campaign, GIVE THEM TO US! Even if it removes Corruptors fine by me i hate those things. Scourge were required in SC1 because they could take out just about any air in big enough numbers or with proper timing.

EDIT: And it would be nice if Banelines did no bonus damage to anything, just a large chunk to whatever the heck they hit. I mean cmon its a big acidic kaboom. Even the mighty Thor would have some of the acid hit some pretty important gears.
Take that back, keep the bonus to buildings lol we need that.
Edited by Vineheart on 8/2/2010 8:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Benanator summed it up nicely +1

I hate to say this but If you agree with my comment on Baneling and Roaches not filling the roles of the Lurker give it a thumbs up. If the post gets enough thumbs up maybe Blizzard will notice it. Ha ha, a desperate cry for a chance of getting lurkers back.

As for the Lurkers being too strong in SC1 ... I disagree. I actually watch pro games on satellite (ongamenet's channel) and the only thing that made Lurkers viable was Dark swarm That allowed them to get in range without being destroyed instantly. As for defense, Science vessels took care of them rather well. The raven would be just as effective with its high damage missile. It would make the other two races work more at beating Zerg, that much is true! I don't think it would be OP though ... Could be wrong. Don't think it can be any worse than Siege tanks and Colossus though. Especially now that Zerg no longer have Dark Swarm.

EDIT:
And it would be nice if Banelines did no bonus damage to anything, just a large chunk to whatever the heck they hit. I mean cmon its a big acidic kaboom. Even the mighty Thor would have some of the acid hit some pretty important gears.
Take that back, keep the bonus to buildings lol we need that.

Agree completely I think banelings should do a large chunk of damage to everything. It would make them much more worth the investment in my opinion.
Edited by Benanator on 8/2/2010 8:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]