StarCraft® II

zerg are about map control. Period.

so with all the posts crying about the zerg I would like to posit the general strategy of the zerg:

As a zerg player, you have the fastest units in the game.
On most maps, this means if you can use those units to deny your opponent any expansions, as you expand at will, eventually you'll win.

If SC2 is like high speed chess, controlling the center of the board is what wins games. zergs speed is what allows that.

Reply Quote
I would generally agree, map control is vitally important to any race but its pivotal for Zerg. I find that the T1 and even T2 units aren't as beefy as their Terran and Protoss counterparts, so I would add that the ability to generate units quickly is another major priority for Zerg strategy. The only units that seem to measure up pound for pound as far as ability to take a hit is Roaches, which lack the speed advantage. I've won a few games using roaches with some lings early on, but I almost always had an expansion out fairly quickly and used lings to watch for my opponent(s) expansions.
Reply Quote
I'm sort of addicted to watching replays, and from what I can tell, this is essentially correct. The chess analogy is particularly apt.

Basically, there is nothing really special about the zerg army, unit for unit, they are nothing to rave about; their advantages are all macro related.
Reply Quote
Spread creep, speeling snipes... and you're golden. Speedlings are still very useful late in the game.

And ALWAYS spread creep.
Reply Quote
I'm sort of addicted to watching replays, and from what I can tell, this is essentially correct. The chess analogy is particularly apt.

Basically, there is nothing really special about the zerg army, unit for unit, they are nothing to rave about; their advantages are all macro related.

...and speed related.

and thanks!
Reply Quote
I really like getting early expansions and spreading creep tumors as far as i can, but lately a majority of games ive played have been early rush fests. What can you do from the get-go to ensure later game map control?
Reply Quote
ALWAYS spread creep.

I couldn't agree more. It's a must for any zerg player. I like to get a second queen fast even without having a second base so I can spam some creep tumors and to fight some early air harrass when necessary.

Reply Quote
unless they go mass voids then ur kinda screwed cuz u spent most of ur money in the beginng getting minerals................
Reply Quote
Um. You only have the fastest units in the game if you're on creep. If otherwise, you have probably some of the slowest.
Reply Quote
Um. You only have the fastest units in the game if you're on creep. If otherwise, you have probably some of the slowest.

He is referring to speed lings and mutas. Both are plenty fast w/o the creep. Its ez enough to spread creep around w/ creep tumors. I typically will park my OLs over expansion points and have them drop creep to slow my opponents ability to expand.
Edited by Nehpets on 8/3/2010 3:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You should look at this...even though it's a bit old the speeds haven't really changed that much.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=t5GkNmF7rIQbeeh2Cichmvg&output=html

Note that 2.25 is the base speed for most land units, and includes the Zealot, Immortal, and Colossus for Protoss, the Marine, Marauder, Ghost, Siege Tank, and walking Vikings for Terran, and the Hydralisk and non-upgraded Roach for Zerg (the ultralisk has had it's speed upgrade rolled into it's base speed since this list was made). So yeah, the hydralisks feel really slow, but in truth they are the same speed as marines, marauders, tanks, zealots, and immortals off creep. They just feel slow because all of the other zerg units are so fast.

Speedlings are the fastest unit in the game, followed by phoenix and hellions. Mutalisks are the fastest air-to-ground unit, while infestors are technically the fastest casters (non-burrowed). They are all even faster on creep, but without creep the zerg are still the fastest race in general.
Reply Quote
Yup yup. Especially if you use the spread creep of your overlords well, you can be zooming your army anywhere in a flash.
Reply Quote
Speedlings are great for taking out expansions. Usually terran players like to put a bunch of missle turrets around them, which are no match for lings. I like to just go in, take em all out, and get out. Then if he re-expands there with his main army, I either go for his main base or attack another one.
Reply Quote
mass voids are easy with scouting and two queens. EXCEPT FOR DESERT OASIS. That map just screws me all over
Reply Quote
so with all the posts crying about the zerg I would like to posit the general strategy of the zerg:

On most maps, this means if you can use those units to deny your opponent any expansions, as you expand at will, eventually you'll win.

If SC2 is like high speed chess, controlling the center of the board is what wins games. zergs speed is what allows that.

this post is so unbelievably stupid...i can say the same stupid thing about all the races.
Reply Quote
got a question, i been following the expand and deny expansion strat and with T its going well, but P i just end up getting killed by mass zealots and stalker. It seems like +1 more base than enemy is a good guideline but is there a timing to expand or just try to get to +1 base ASAP?
Reply Quote

Most of the @@!#%ing is about one base terran. One base terran don't give a rats ass if you have map control. Even if Terran pick up their natural, they still don't give a rats ass if you have map control... they are going to roll right through you.
Edited by Draemos on 8/3/2010 6:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]