StarCraft® II

Best race for beginners?

I've always been more single than multiplayer with SC1. Now with SC2's great matchmaking system, I want to start. I've seen threads on best races, but not one for beginners. Is there a better race to get started on when you're first learning. I'd like to play zerg, but was told by someone else that terran or protoss are the best ones to start with. Any suggestions or words of advice from you advanced players?
Reply Quote
I would say Terran as well. The units are pretty simple to understand and yet the experienced users are rewarded with Technical knowledge also.

As far as simplicity goes (in my 10 year of SC knowledge opinion) Terran>Zerg>Protoss
Edited by Ragana on 8/5/2010 7:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would say Terran as well. The units are pretty simple to understand and yet the experienced users are rewarded with Technical knowledge also.

As far as simplicity goes (in my 10 year of SC knowledge opinion) Terran>Zerg>Protoss

I don't follow you, in how knowledge of SC1 applies to knowledge of SC2.
Reply Quote
I would agree with Ragana that Terran is probably easiest to associate with, however they come with a lot of building upgrade options which could slow you down when you have a lot going on. I would argue that Protoss is probably the easiest to grasp.
Reply Quote
it kinda depends on your skill set, if you are really good at macroing (getting a good economy and army all the while maintaining your micromanagement) zerg would be a good choice (i dont recommend zerg it is a hard race to learn and has a huge learning curve) if you like to focus on your army more with a little less macro terran is a good choice, and if you really like to micro then toss is a good choice because of the expensiveness of each unit and the need to keep them alive as long as possible. I would recomend starting with terran because its kinda in the middle with micro and macro, and if you wish to switch you already have the basics.

EDIT: in the beta i started with terran to get a feel for the game and then when i felt comfortable i switched to toss and i was able to get into high diamond (not right now, i cant log in for some reason and i have a very active division) so i think terran would be a very good starter as well
Edited by Arcanous on 8/5/2010 7:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would agree with Ragana that Terran is probably easiest to associate with, however they come with a lot of building upgrade options which could slow you down when you have a lot going on. I would argue that Protoss is probably the easiest to grasp.

i would agre toss is easy at first but to be truly good you have to take a lot of time
Reply Quote
I am diamond random and I can tell you the easiest beginner race is definitely terran. Zerg while fundamentally easy since all units are made from larva is difficult due to the amount of micromanaging queens injecting larva in base because if you slack on it your economny will suffer in the beginning by having stored resources and towards late game you will not have the larva to pump out units fast enough.

Toss are slightly easier I think it takes some time getting used to using chrono boost and chrono boosting at the right time, but is far more forgiving than zerg queen's larva injection. Also, using warp gates takes some time to get used to but not overly demanding.

Terran are by far the easiest I think the biggest thing you need to worry about is building supply depots at the right time and not getting supply blocked. You need to use the orbital command from time to time to either scan or use to call down a mule, but fairly easy in comparison to what toss or zerg have to do.
Reply Quote
A good read on picking the right race for you:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/106670678
Reply Quote
Play 2 Vs AI games as each race against a Normal opponent. Normal should give you enough time to play around with each race a little, and make some mistakes. This will give you the general "feel" of each race. Then hit the forum for the one you chose, and see what in general people say about the race- usually people have good tips about how to play each race.

Terran are usually quoted as the easiest, as they require less micro and have more units that are good in any situation, and as such the army is easy to build.

Protoss are expensive, so require a constant eye on Macro, but live or die based on their micro. They also have very specialized units, so suffer when they build an army that their opponent counters. This makes them tricky to play well.

Zerg require much more base management than the other races, and as such are usually listed as the hardest to learn. They benefit from extreme flexibility- while not quite as all-purpose in units as terran, switching your overall gameplan is much more simple than with other races.
Reply Quote

I honestly hope that you are not implying that SC1 experience is irrelevant to SC2
Reply Quote
I'd say terran because they are the most defensive minded of the races, are a good start to not get destroyed while you're learning.

But really the playstyle is whats important, you want a race you like and fits or has a fun style to you.

A few games a Terran can't hurt you learning the basics of the game, or you could just watch some replays of each race.
Reply Quote
Anyone but Zerg, heh.
Reply Quote
If you played the campaign, you know a bit about playing terran from there, so I recommend starting there. It's a pretty easy jump to protoss, but zerg playstyle is significantly different, so save them for last.
Reply Quote

In my opinion,

in SC1: (from easy to hard)
Protoss > Zerg > Terran

SC2:
Terran > Protoss > Zerg
Edited by baek on 8/5/2010 10:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
(disagree with me if you want)

Terran / Protoss

Terran is easy to learn, hard to master. Balanced throughout the entire game through structures and units.

Protoss has strong early game, some le-way with the shielding so that will give you some buffer time to micro/macro. They are not very good during late game compared to Terran though.

All of this can change depending on your playstyle.
Reply Quote
In my opinion, when you're still in the beginner level, all races are fair game in terms of what to start out with. Yes, each race is different in terms of their play style but they're all fundamentally the same. Remember that people will rank each race differently in terms of easy to hard based on their own preference.

If you start off with Terran or Protoss, then you'll get better at Terran or Protoss and still remain a "beginner" with Zerg because you haven't been playing it.

So I think if you want to play Zerg, play as Zerg. The more you play it, the better you'll become. Celebrate your wins and don't get discouraged from losses; take them as opportunities to learn from mistakes and refine your strategy.
Reply Quote
Terran or Protoss. Zerg is really the only beginner-unfriendly race.
Reply Quote
Easiest race is Protoss, although Zerg has the least base management, you are forced to expand a lot, to macro well, which is hard for beginners. Protoss on the other hand can one base very well, or two base. With solid early to mid to late game that is easy. 1-4 gates into robotics or any other choice. Once you've built buildings for protoss there is no more base management besides pylons.

Terran is definately not the easiest, there is a lot of base management that goes on while you are attacking or harassing. Unless you just play turtle, in which case you won't get far anyways.
There is constant switching of tech labs and reactors, supply depot building, scv managing, mule dropping. Unlike how protoss buildings are warped in.

When building your army early too you have to manage barracks with tech labs and reactors differently if they are hot keyed. where as Protoss warp gates, you just press W, and it highlights all of them.

You can also 1-A really well with Protoss armies, also very strong army unit for unit.

5 out 5 of my new friends chose to play Protoss.
Reply Quote

I honestly hope that you are not implying that SC1 experience is irrelevant to SC2

+1

Even though the last time i played StarCraft 1 was more than 5 years ago, the skills learned over the course of playing it have transferred nicely over to SC2. For one thing, as I am doing the campaign on Hard difficulty.. i am not having any difficulties, and do not foresee being all too burdened on Brutal.

The main thing to learn about StarCraft 2 is the updated armor/attack mechanics (no more explosive/concussive damage vs small, medium and large units), so the math in your head changes; and the simple fact that quite a few units (particularly for zerg and protoss) have abilities that change the game play rather drastically. But it will come.

Having said that, i find the balance perfect at the moment, a brief look over all the forums, you will see that each race is complaining about the other races in a more or less equal manner.

:)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]