StarCraft® II

How To Load Custom Map?

Can someone please tell me how you load/install a custom map (SC2Map)? What directory do you put the map on your local computer? Or do you load it to your battle.net profile somehow.

I cannot find any information on this anywhere...:(

Thanks for your help
Edited by Pashonic on 8/1/2010 12:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i have the same problemmmmm !!!!!!

on the FAQ it says on " my documents/ starcraft II/ Maps "
but it dosnt work. First the Maps folder wasnt there and i made it manually and now that i have the maps there they dont apper on " Single player / Vs AI " part of the game.

HELP !..

Iwas able to play my custom maps but only by publishing the map on private. and i dont want to have to publish every time i want to play a map i make =S. HELP HELP !
Reply Quote
You can play maps by right clicking .SC2MAP file, open with SC2.exe program.
Same thing can be done from SC2 Editor when you select Test Document.

Only multiplayer maps need to be published on bnet to play them with others.
I believe these are the only types of maps that can be played in offline mode.
Edited by RedConfusion on 8/1/2010 4:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
seems kind of a game-flaw the fact that you gotta open a map like that to play it doesn't it ?

Anyway thx ! .. hope blizzard make this a lot more easier/intuitive later on. Wtb Skirmish mode !
Reply Quote
yes, there's no interiorly built option to open maps, unless you publish one. And even then, you can't play vs ai's offline...

This game was not ready for release...it feels like beta with a few more maps and the campaign, that's it.
Reply Quote
yes it does feels kind of beta ... hope we get a patch soon with the addition to open maps freely.
Reply Quote
Actually, I think there is a way to load maps up within the editor, at least for testing.

In the editor, hit F12, which brings up the Overview Manager. Then hit the last button labled "SC". This launches your current map with StarCraft II.

However, I haven't tried playing custom made multiplayer maps on battle.net yet.

Khade
Edited by Khade on 8/1/2010 6:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yah i knew that.. but you cant choose variations or game options like that.. youd had to manually set everything.
Reply Quote
ok this is getting anoying .. i published the version 0.5 of the map im making to have it a go and see if it was working. And now its not showing up on single player mode.. only on multiplayer.

Whats wrong with this thing? ...

EDIT - ok nvm fixed it.. still had a script changed on the map ....
Edited by oTo on 8/1/2010 7:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
HELP =( still !!!!!!!!!

im having EXTREEEME problems trying to play a map i made on single player .. i have it published and it has all melee requirements and still its not showing up on " VS AI " while 3 of my other maps that i dont even have published do show up in single player ... What the hell ...
Please someone help ><

in resume -> i have 1 melee map ( map A) published and 3 melee maps (maps B) that are not published. AND ! Map A is nowhere to be seen on " VS AI " while maps B are.... WHY !!!!!!!???
Reply Quote
Right now, the only way to play a custom map you made or download from the web is:

1. publish it yourself from the starcraft 2 editor
2. Open it on the starcraft 2 editor and go to File > Test document
3. Pray it is on the popular list and play it.

Blizzard dosen't allow you to keep the maps for yourself. They want to keep full control over the user created maps. That's the ONLY way to play a custom map. Playing it from the popular list on battle.net.

That way blizzard ensures that maps that get popular like DotA are still provided by Blizzard and that way they keep all the money for themselves. The problem is that A map creator may only publish 5 maps and those maps may not be greater than 20mb. So, great campaigns like Legacy of the confederation or Fallen angel (Great user created campaigns for starcraft 1) are impossible to create.

I'm afraid that all of those problems are not flaws. The inhability for us to download a map from a fan site and play it locally on our computer without internet connection is on purpose. They are trying to combat piracy with the world of warcraft like system. They provide all the content via internet, and only LEGIT copies of the game with active accounts may play it. And I'm afraid that will not change at all.

Looks like we either get used to it, play melee games or the ones on the top 50 popular list.
Reply Quote
How can you steal something that's free ?
and how come 3 of my maps that i have NOT published are showing up in the "Versis AI" while the map I DID published is not. this is obviously some kind of flaw and if its not then this #*#* isnt working for blizzard.

I mean if we cant even play the stuff we make .... do i need to pay for a map i made ? LOL !!!

Plz BLUE let us know if blizzard is planning on fixing this somehow.
Reply Quote
@oTo How did you get your maps to show up in VS. AI? I can't.
Reply Quote
i have no clue ... the first 3 maps i published did showed up.. but its no longer working for me T_T. at some point even a map i played on battle.net showed up too.

but nothing is working now =\

I still cant believe i cant even play the maps i make ...............
Edited by oTo on 8/4/2010 9:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
We're beta testing Battle.net in the finished SCII product.

It was pretty much expected by everyone that Battle.net wasn't gonna be ready for release,or be cheered by anyone.
Reply Quote
True.
Reply Quote
Right now, the only way to play a custom map you made or download from the web is:

1. publish it yourself from the starcraft 2 editor
2. Open it on the starcraft 2 editor and go to File > Test document
3. Pray it is on the popular list and play it.

Blizzard dosen't allow you to keep the maps for yourself. They want to keep full control over the user created maps. That's the ONLY way to play a custom map. Playing it from the popular list on battle.net.

That way blizzard ensures that maps that get popular like DotA are still provided by Blizzard and that way they keep all the money for themselves. The problem is that A map creator may only publish 5 maps and those maps may not be greater than 20mb. So, great campaigns like Legacy of the confederation or Fallen angel (Great user created campaigns for starcraft 1) are impossible to create.

I'm afraid that all of those problems are not flaws. The inhability for us to download a map from a fan site and play it locally on our computer without internet connection is on purpose. They are trying to combat piracy with the world of warcraft like system. They provide all the content via internet, and only LEGIT copies of the game with active accounts may play it. And I'm afraid that will not change at all.

Looks like we either get used to it, play melee games or the ones on the top 50 popular list.

I am going to use your quote here in another thread I am going to start hoping to get the right attention.
Reply Quote
Ars Technica knows what's up:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/08/starcraft-2-the-latest-game-to-control-user-created-content.ars
Reply Quote
Drag the map file onto your sc2 app or shortcut, or right click and say Run with SC2.exe
Reply Quote
This totally wreaks!!

A buddy was recently grumbling about the cost of the game and I asked how many games he had ever played for more than a year, let alone a decade? Sold!

The reason we have played for over a decade is that we could keep making the game new with maps. We routinely have meet over the last 12 yrs to play with our own maps, tailored to our group. Most of us never had Battle.net accounts till SC2 forced us to, because we really could care less about ladders and tournaments. It was the perfect excuse to get together with our buddies, some pizza, and relax with our wives support; because they were glad to have geek husbands that would much rather play video games and drink Mountain Dew than got to bars and strip clubs!

While I still don't see any of us turning to the clubs for entertainment, Blizzard has killed that for us with its iron fist control. We were very excited to see the number of players in a game increase beyond 8! and with the Blizcon teasers of the editor, we were going crazy waiting to see wait we could do with the game. Of course now we realize, we can't do jack.

Without the ability to play custom maps, coupled with the other disappointments of the game, I have to wonder - Will the excitement hold on for over another year while we wait for the add ons??

Please wake up Blizzard and realize what has made the games great, isn't the profits!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]