StarCraft® II

A discussion about Corruptors.

Hello, friends.

So, I try to be the very last person to QQ about underpowered or overpowered, as I tend to believe that 90% of the equation lies in the skill of both players. However, there is one thing I've noticed about the Zerg that irks me a bit.

Every Zerg units, in my opinion, has a pretty useful role. Zerglings are...well, Zerglings. Roaches are good tanks, Hydralisks do a ridiculous amount of damage to ground AND air units, Mutalisks are great for harassing, Banelings can be used to bust a front door or vaporize a group of infantry...so on, and so forth. The only unit in the Zerg arsenal that I never find myself using is the Corruptor.

It's an anti-air unit exclusively - essentially the Zerg equivalent (in terms of application and capability) to the Phoenix and Viking. However, the Phoenix and Viking both have a way to attack ground units as well, though both are a bit cumbersome. Corruptors can't, and I find that they aren't really THAT good at attacking air units, either. For example - if I'm fighting a 1/1/1 army, we'll say my opponent has Vikings and Banshees in the air. I could bring some Corruptors to deal with them - but then again, why do that when I could just make two times as many Hydralisks which do more damage (I think) anyways? The only utility that Corruptors present, it seems, is the ability to morph into Brood Lords. While this is definitely important, I wouldn't even call this a utility. I would say that Corruptors are a prerequisite to Brood Lords - nothing wrong with that, Brood Lords are very powerful in the right hands, and the hefty price (the Corruptor plus the cost of morphing it) is well worth it. Usually. But that's beside the point.

The point is, I think something should be done to change Corruptors a bit. Perhaps they are actually a very powerful unit in certain situations, and I just haven't discovered that yet. All I'm saying is that to me, they seem relatively weak at what they do. Note that I am NOT suggesting that Corruptors be given the ability to attack ground units - we definitely don't need any help in that department. It is, however, pretty well know that Zerg anti-air can be pretty "meh" - this is most noticeable during the early game, but I do think it carries over to an extent.

I just wanted to create a thread to start an open discussion with ideas as to what could be done, or if anything should be done at all, to Corruptors.

DISCLAIMER - This is NOT a QQ post. I do not think in any way, shape, or form, that the Corruptor's ability (or lack thereof) is significantly hampering my likelihood to win games. After all, I hardly ever use them, and I win enough. If you're just coming here to flame or be elitist, please make a new thread and do it there.

Thanks, guys!

Edit - I had totally forgotten about the Corruption ability in this post, as I don't think I've ever used it before. This is probably a mistake, as it seems like it can be pretty useful in taking down the heavy hitters for Protoss and Terran. However, even with that added utility, I still think that Corruptors are underutilized. Once again, I could be wrong and this post could be utterly pointless - if it is, please, let me know.
Edited by Nicholas on 8/2/2010 8:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Corruptors main purpose is to counter large armored units. Battlecruisers, carriers, motherships and colossi. They fill a much needed gap that other zerg units do not have.

They are not a "core" army unit.

Much of the protoss and terran armys consist of more units, who serve different purposes, where core units in the zerg army are a little bit more multi-functional.

Banelings are another example of a utility unit, that is not multi-functional, and serves a unique purpose.
Reply Quote
corrupters !@#@@ slap voids. and can beat vikings if u micro there ability, and the teran is not a micro master
Reply Quote
I find curruptors to be all-stars in team play, where matches can often go to high tier units such as battlecruisers, colosus, and mass voids. The curruption ability is just killer when it comes to tackling a horde of such powerful units. Even in 1v1 they serve a vital role of allowing you to contest the air game if needed, then morph to broodlords endgame to absolutly decimate ground armys/bases.

these guys are kings of overlord harrasment too. finding your opponets overlord "ball" in the corner of the map somewhere is super super annoying as anyone who has had it happen to them can tell you (me).

while it will probably stay the most under-utilized unit in our arsonal, but they fill the role devourers had in sc1 which was a very narrow but important role lategame.

Reply Quote
I always thought it was weird that they could attack a Colossus but not a Thor.
Reply Quote
Thor's are armored. Colossi are massive. That's why Corruptor's can attack Colossi and not Thor's.
Reply Quote
I think they are more effective than hydras or mutas for carriers, and battlecruisers, or mother ships.
Reply Quote
Thor's are armored. Colossi are massive. That's why Corruptor's can attack Colossi and not Thor's.

Thor is Armored-Mechanical-Massive, just like the colossus. The reason corruptors can hit colossi is because they are flagged as attackable by air to air, and thors are not. It's the colossus' trade off for being able to see and walk up cliffs.
Reply Quote
Do corruptors not have the ability to take over units anymore or am I just doing it wrong?
Reply Quote
You must be thinking of Infestors, who have the Neural Parasite ability. Corrupters are the Zerg air-to-air unit.
Reply Quote
I find myself using corruptors quite a bit, actually. If I'm going air I tend to make a mixed force of mutas and corruptors if I know my opponent is going air as well (extra minerals go to speedlings for harass, and surrounds amidst the air confusion, SC1 style). Corruptors have a reasonable debuff, they do great damage to the heavier targets, and it gives you the flexibility to convert some of them into brood lords later, since you have them around, and don't have to spawn any for the purpose. They're also pretty tough, all things considered, and can soak some fire from marines anyways.

I like this unit a hell of a lot more than devourers, that's for sure.
Reply Quote
Corruptors are for massive air units like Battlecruisers...because you see just so freaking many of them in league play...oh wait.

They do have their uses though...they do okay when mixed with mutalisks against voidrays...which you also never see in league play....so uhh...they're okay against....well okay...they're for morphing into broodlords, which are insanely expensive for what you get, but bad ass en masse on a map where they can be used effectively
Reply Quote
personally i think corrupters are my favorite zerg unit, i find myself in random games, and saying "hey, i'm going corrupters, if you make ground, and cover me, ill cover you air. this normally turns out to be a pretty successful tactic. Their use of only air gimps them to only that, but otherwise the current 1st of the skies. totally upgraded, with about 5 corrupters i've taken out a mothership. if you can get up to about 25 corrupters as teammates cover ground, then theres no airborn attack you cannot handle. you just need to make sure you micro manage and make sure that ALL of your corrupters are attacking the same target, allowing you to destroy nearly anything, while moving in and out of range of their attack (or every few kills or so) and coming back and picking off a few more. their fast speed, and attack is very useful.

good luck and happy human hunting ;-P

*this is also a better tactic vs. people with slower computers, allowing you to make wiser decisions (without lag) and catching them at their weakest.
Reply Quote
Honestly, the only time I've really used corruptors is for the very specific purpose of taking down collossi. Except mutas can fill this role well if the army lacks sentries. If you beat the push you can even use mutas to go immediately harass!

A hydra ball can stop BCs, Carriers, and Void Rays just as effectively if not more quickly than corruptors. . . but I'm sure these flying spaghetti monsters are totally unstoppable en mass against massive air units.

The one other reason I make them is as stepping stone into broodlords, and keep 1/3 - 1/2 of them as anti air support for the lords.

I think they're lacking. . . something. I'm not sure what it is, but I'm guessing corrupters will find a lot more viability in Heart of the Swarm.
Reply Quote
Personally I have used them successfully against protoss air assaults. I have been faced too often with a almost strictly air protoss assault and can't do anything about it. Sure I could pump out hydralisks and I could also use mutalisks but there are problems.

1. Hydralisks don't have the mobility necessary to prevent a enemy air force to attack your harvestors. They cant protect against harassment.

2. Mutalisks get destroyed in air battles

3. Their ability destroys void rays.

I actually primarily use them against void rays because they can crack them quickly. I did not know that they could attack the colossi though which will improve my strat a bit.
Reply Quote
When I'm in a mass-hydra vs protoss ground army standoff, I'll build a couple when I tech-switch to mutas to help deal with the inevitable colossus push. 4 corrupters will blow away a handful of colossi pretty darn quick, and they're really hard to focus down.
Reply Quote
I've always found that they go down fairly quickly against Void Rays moreso than Carriers or Colossi. They're possibly a bit better against Massive units than Devourers were in Brood War. I've been experimenting with them quite a bit and I just find they get wiped out too quickly by Void Rays.
Reply Quote
The problem is that they dont do the damage they should and their ability (corruption) is only mildly good and is a single unit target. Against light they're only ok because of large HP and 2 armor. Against massive they are again only ok because they get a good bonus but they still fire slow as sin. Even with corruption they just dont FEEL that strong.

Now if they had their old corruption (passive) that turned any air units they killed into floating death platforms i would use them a little more often. That and if corruption was an AOE skill with a radius of 2. Then id always have one flying around with my army so i could cast that before a big fight.
Reply Quote
The problem is that they dont do the damage they should and their ability (corruption) is only mildly good and is a single unit target. Against light they're only ok because of large HP and 2 armor. Against massive they are again only ok because they get a good bonus but they still fire slow as sin. Even with corruption they just dont FEEL that strong.

Now if they had their old corruption (passive) that turned any air units they killed into floating death platforms i would use them a little more often. That and if corruption was an AOE skill with a radius of 2. Then id always have one flying around with my army so i could cast that before a big fight.

The ability is easy to cast, and after the corruptors have taken out their necessary target, their ability is good for focus firing key enemy ground-forces. If you're not not useing their ability or think it's not worth it, you're bad.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]