StarCraft® II

Your favorite RPG? (formerly CT>FF VI>FF VII)

I'm switching this topic up a bit so that peeps who haven't played these games can contribute their own personal favorites!

Original post: Chrono Trigger > Final Fantasy VI > FF VII :All who have played these great games know this to be true!

Or maybe some of you disagree?

Perhaps the "nostalgia factor" of playing one of these gems at a certain time in your gaming life pushes your bias towards that game.

I'm sure the more PC oriented crowd would put the Bauldur's Gate games above even these?
Edited by DrSillypants on 5/11/2011 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm gonna get shanked for this, but I never really enjoyed FF7. I played FF8 first, and I still think that that's my favorite Final Fantasy. I thought the story was more intriguing than 7, the gameplay was better, and the characters more interesting.

9 was fun, though the story a bit cliche and predictable. Still a good game. I thouroughly enjoyed 10 as well, though it gets a lot of crap for some reason. Haven't played 11 and beyond.

I actually just played Chrono Trigger when it was rereleased for the DS (never had a SNES). It was pretty fun! I liked the different battle system and the story wasn't what I was expecting, though I thought they could have done more with the characters. I'm one of those people that likes my stories character driven rather than plot driven, so I probably didn't enjoy it as much as most people, but it was good.
Reply Quote
Did not play FF6 or Chrono Trigger, so no input from me on those 2.

FF7 is my favorite so far. Though I am enjoying FFXIII currently.

However, my favorite Classic RPG would be Phantasy Star IV.
Reply Quote
If you've never played any of these before and play them now, the graphics will make you prefer FFXII, gameplay won't matter at that point >:).
Reply Quote
I heard there was a sequel to Chrono Trigger (one of the greatest game ever, BTW). Anybody care to expand on this?
Reply Quote
05/06/2011 02:13 AMPosted by Requizen
I never really enjoyed FF7

*shank*
Blasphemer!

Edit: FFVIII > *

That's right, bizzles! :-D
Edited by Phinix on 5/6/2011 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm one of those people that likes my stories character driven rather than plot driven

Yeah, I like to have both. And a great soundtrack on top of that can make a good game phenomenal. CT's character development doesn't rival some modern RPGs, but I still liked the characters' back stories a lot (except Robo and Ayla hah). The whole "We're fighting this evil scary mage dude" only to find out he's from a completely different era, and actually seeing his and Schala's story progress from then worked on me. And it helps I've played Chrono Cross to see how the story ends.

However, my favorite Classic RPG would be Phantasy Star IV.

I played that one on an emulator and loved it, but I think it loses something when played that way. Did you ever play Phantasy Star Online or Skies of Arcadia? Both Sega masterpieces.

I heard there was a sequel to Chrono Trigger

Yeah, Chrono Cross on the PS 1. I think it was a phenomenal sequel, but most CT fans don't like it as much (too many characters with no backstory; I think there are like 40). It deals with the ramifications of messing with the space/time continuum. You find out what happens to your friends from CT, and it isn't too happy (especially with Schala).

Reply Quote
I've only played a few of the FF series (with FFVII being one of them) so I can't comment on the others. I am trying to play Chrono Trigger (on the DS) but my L button is broken so I'm stuck near the beginning (the L button is needed at the start of the first future section) >< but it seems pretty good so far.
Reply Quote
05/06/2011 04:41 AMPosted by boxturtle
If you've never played any of these before and play them now, the graphics will make you prefer FFXII, gameplay won't matter at that point >:).

yeah no. EARLY 3d games look like garbage now. they dont hold up. play a good 16-bit game, like FF6. that game still looks beautiful. i know the 3d was revolutionary AT THE TIME but it doesnt hold up.
Reply Quote
05/06/2011 11:21 AMPosted by DrSillypants
I played that one on an emulator and loved it, but I think it loses something when played that way. Did you ever play Phantasy Star Online or Skies of Arcadia? Both Sega masterpieces.

I did play Phantasy Star Online, as that was one of my early Dreamcast purchases.

I however, never did play Skies of Arcadia.

05/06/2011 12:46 PMPosted by VGMAN
know the 3d was revolutionary AT THE TIME but it doesnt hold up

Well, if they every do the FF7 remake... you can pretty much bet the graphics will hold up much better this time around.
Reply Quote
I played Final Fantasy 7-13 including X2, and Crono Cross. Never really had a chance for Trigger.

I would say that hands down 8 had the best story out of the Final Fantasy's I have played. However, the truly ridiculous mechanic of monster leveling with you made the game no fun. It basically punished you for power leveling and doing side quests.

I enjoyed 7 the most, mainly due to the materia mechanic. It really rewarded side questing and power leveling; while still allowing, not side questing and power leveling to still defeat difficult enemies.

I truly truly hate FF13. It constantly gave me the feeling of hit X and move straight to win. The story, for what I saw of it, looked interesting. The game mechanics though, made me not want to play at all. In addition to this, the game basically required massive power leveling to beat the game, from my experience. Something in my option, should never be required.

FF12 had auto leveling making enemy fights boring with only exception being, for me, Esper fights. The story line was hard for me to follow and I still have no idea what Vash was even doing in the story line.

I had fun with FF9 and really enjoyed the music in it. It was fairly average all around as far as mechanics and story goes but still enjoyable.

FF10-2 was okay don't really remember much about it other than the annoying %complete thing.

FF11 was an MMO so....yeah. I had fun with it but the fun came from playing with other people and exploring unknown places not really the game it self. MMOs suck and will continue to suck for a while. Mainly because the size requirements to make a good MMO is just too vast to make it. The size of the worlds need to be truly huge and maintenance alone just does not allow for a good MMO to be made.

I had tons of fun with Crono Cross. I loved the story and the battle system was vastly different from anything I had played before it. This add a lot of fun for me. This was also the first game I played that had multiple possible endings. I really like the ending where you freed the little girl with the special music using the elements.

As for FF10, Blitzball is the best mini game ever....that is all
Reply Quote
I had tons of fun with Crono Cross. I loved the story and the battle system was vastly different from anything I had played before it. This add a lot of fun for me. This was also the first game I played that had multiple possible endings. I really like the ending where you freed the little girl with the special music using the elements.

You really should play the original! The story isn't nearly as complex, but it is still epic and you get to travel through time and see the consequences of your actions in the different eras. It's out on DS now, or you could always use an emulator (DS is better).

Unless you want to go all old school and play it on the SNES ;)
Reply Quote
I've yet to play chrono trigger but I WILL AT SOME POINT. Final Fantasy VI is my favourite FF though, followed by FFIV. XIII was just dissappointing; it had amazing graphics but the gameplay was extremely weak and the plotline (at least for the first half or more) was soooooooo cheeeesy.

I think my favourite JRPG of all time though is Legend of Dragoon. Anyone played that?
Reply Quote
FFVII > FFVI for me...
Chrono trigger however beats both.

However in my honest opening...FFV > Chrono Trigger...

Reply Quote
World of Warcraft was my favorite before Burning Crusade. I would do anything to go back to those days.

Other RPGs I enjoyed and recommend are Diablo 2, Assassin's Creed (2 and Brotherhood), Final Fantasy 13 (Only FF I played), and God of War 3.
Reply Quote
I never really cared for the stereotypical JRPG (you know, turn based) and I've never played Chrono Cross, so I can't comment on that.

However! My favourite would probably be Baldur's Gate 2, followed up by Oblivion and The Witcher.
Reply Quote
The lack of EarthBound in this thread depresses me.

To contribute, from most favorite to least-but-still-favored:

SNES:
Chrono Trigger
FF4
EarthBound
FF6

PS1:
FF Tactics
FF8
FF7
Koudelka

PS2:
Shadow Hearts 2
Shadow Hearts 1
FFX

Yeah that's about it. I can't think of the other games I own at the moment.
Reply Quote
Okage: The Shadow King PS2
Resonance of Fate PS3
Classic WoW PC
Pokemon Red GBC
FF 10 2 PS2

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]