Your favorite RPG? (formerly CT>FF VI>FF VII)

To the fine gentleman who mentioned Shadow Hearts and FF Tactics, you deserve a cookie. High five!

As far as best RPG's go, I think Nethack wins. Sorry, had to go there.

I'd also like to toss the Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile series in here. Not sure if it qualifies, but I'm a huge fan of Dark Cloud (Chronicle) and the Castlevania action/platformer/rpgs (SotN, CotM, OoE, AoS, ect ect) games. Can't think of any more off the top of my head, but there's probably a ton I'm forgetting.

Pokemon %@@!d half my childhood so I refuse to acknowledge it and the only good thing about FFX-2 was the job system, imho. As much as I love having a continuation to the FFX universe that's pretty much when square enix started this "cinematic experience" bs (ie. no gameplay). Not to mention the completion system for the game was so awful I still shudder remembering it whenever I see a progress rate on a save file.

I'd also like to draw attention to FFXII - Revenant wings. It's like an rts game without the strategy... or the game! It's one of the few games I've stopped playing halfway through (yes, I literally finished half the story line) and told myself "I don't care. I'm done." If it says anything I'm pretty sure Farmville was more engaging...
Edited by Crow on 5/21/2011 12:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's a tough call but at the end of the day, I think xenogears suits my distinct tastes better than any other rpg I have ever played. Sci Fi, mysterious, dark, good battle system, doesn't feel like you're drowning in the character development system, you can just chug along and not worry about missing something important as long as you check your gear shops as you find them, boss fights actually require strategy during the fight unlike most rpgs where 99% of winning a boss fight takes place before you begin the fight, and just a solid epic clenching story. And some of the best music I have ever heard in my life.
Reply Quote
Neverwinter Nights 1
Diablo 1, 2
Does zelda count?
Dragon age origins
The witcher
Fable series

Never really got into the whole final fantasy thing. Too idealistic. I like death to be pretty prevalent. The older I've grown the more mature I like my rpgs to be, right now I'm playing through the witcher 2 and really enjoying it. Also, becuase I'm a dragon age fanboi I actually enjoyed dragonage 2. Maybe not worth a replay, but I enjoyed it to the end.
Edited by revolution on 5/22/2011 5:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/21/2011 12:37 PMPosted by Crow
Nethack

I think I got that on Steam a whiiiile ago but sorta got stuck and dropped that game.
Reply Quote
hmm, well if you consider it an RPG, Ocarina of Time (some people think it is) is my favorite game ever although I would classify it as action/adventure.

If not OOT, then Diablo II, Mass Effect 2, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 are some of my favorites off the top of my head.
Reply Quote
1. Pokémon White
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Diablo II

I almost completely forgot WoW, though I loved and hated it, whereas these three I loved to death.
Reply Quote
Ultima

the one with the Lesisure suit larry interface and the diablo 1 looking world

yea that one, i was a kid when i played that i'm 27 now :p
Reply Quote
1. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
2. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of The Betrayer
3. KOTOR 1/2
4. The rest of shin megami tensei

I don't really hate any RPG series.

My list 1-5

1. Metal gear solid series
2. FFX
3. FFX2
4. Resident evil series
5. Assassins creed serie
s

Those are RPGs?
Reply Quote
fallout 3 =D
Reply Quote
Morrowind
Diablo 2
Kingdom Hearts 1 (don't hate)
Final Fantasy X
Knights of the Old Republic 1

(No particular order)

I've played a majority of the Final Fantasies (FF6+), but I always ended up dropping them at some point.. need to get back around to them I guess.
Edited by iAmHollywood on 5/31/2011 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
In my opinion, the best FF game is FFX. I understand why people like 7, however FFX's story is one suited for the movies, and truly is a work unrivaled in the RPG industry, in my opinion.

That stated, my favorite RPG of all time is Banjo Tooie, as it was incredibly fun to play. A big part of that enjoyment came from the amazing humor that was in the game. That being said, Banjo Kazooie is also an amazing game, however not as deep or good as Banjo Tooie.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]