StarCraft® II

Intel Introduces new tri gate technology.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/04/intel-will-mass-produce-22nm-3d-transistors-for-all-future-cpus/

Looks like 3D isn't just a fad, folks, so long as we're talking about silicon -- Intel just announced that it has invented a 3D "Tri-Gate" transistor that will allow the company to keep shrinking chips, Moore's Law naysayers be darned. Intel says the transistors will use 50 percent less power, conduct more current and provide 37 percent more speed than their 2D counterparts thanks to vertical fins of silicon substrate that stick up through the other layers, and that those fancy fins could make for cheaper chips too -- currently, though, the tri-gate tech adds an estimated 2 to 3 percent cost to existing silicon wafers. Intel says we'll see the new technology first in its 22nm Ivy Bridge CPUs, going into mass production in the second half of the year, and it's planning 14nm chips in 2013 and 10nm chips in 2015. Also, 3D transistors won't be limited to the cutting edge -- Intel reps told journalists that they "will extend across the entire range of our product line," including mobile devices. Three videos and a press release await you after the break.
Reply Quote
cant wait till i get another comp woot
moar powah

mah comps gonna be obsolete by 2015
Edited by CptHavoc on 5/7/2011 8:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Interesting... <.<

edit: HAHA long walk...

And the video makes it seem like it was just a simple change in idea, but we all know that idea was probably around before 2000, and it still took them 10 years of manpower to get it working properly.
Edited by Klatar on 5/7/2011 8:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i'll get 3D when dont have use glasses.
Reply Quote
Read this a little while ago. Just when I thought about upgrading to Sandy Bridge! Looks like I'll be waiting for Ivy Bridge. Interesting stuff. I'm excited to see what this can do for portable devices and handheld gaming.
Reply Quote
if you wait for ivy bridge intel will have something newer and better like i want to wait for the 10nm chip which is about when my comp will need to be replaced since by then it will be 6yrs old but by then desktops may be obsolete and laptops will be the future since this new 3d tech allows moar powah out of the cpu thus making laptops more like desktops
Reply Quote
05/08/2011 01:22 AMPosted by frostburn

I hope that's a joke.

Reply Quote
05/09/2011 07:35 PMPosted by ZeoColloid

I hope that's a joke.

Don't feed the trolls....

@OP
I was feeling all fancy with my 45nm and 32nm Processors....
Reply Quote
Cool thing about that processor is they can probably keep adding new "ridges" to better the technology. They have opened a new door. It's awesome.
Reply Quote
what happens after 10nm? on wikipedia after the 10nm they had nanotechnology instead of something like 5nm
Reply Quote
05/09/2011 07:35 PMPosted by ZeoColloid

I hope that's a joke.
Sony and Samsung making a 3D tv dont require glasses. i know alot people want 3D but dont wanna wear glasses. Nintendo DS 3D dont require glass. just have take that tech put into TV some how.
Reply Quote
This is kinda cool, but I'm a little more excited for optical computing.
Reply Quote
id be more interested in playing sc2 on something like in the movie Ironman where he designs his stuff you know the holographic screen

except for sc2 i would want something like a table top kinda like a game board in full color not that blue you always see in movies like star wars and ironman
Reply Quote
Intel will probably start with low clockrate CPUs even though they can make higher-clockrate CPUs for business reasons. So I'm going to stick with my i7 for a few more years.
Reply Quote
ya i prolly wont upgrade till 2015 so as to get full life outa my i7
Reply Quote
Nanotechnology, 3d nano structures is what backs the moores law.

Of course they will keep increasing in efficiency and power.
Reply Quote
moores law?
Reply Quote
i like this law lol

EDIT: i was reading an article in American Scientist about memristors can anyone explain these and what their purpose would be i dont recall teh article overly well =(
Edited by CptHavoc on 5/15/2011 9:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]