StarCraft® II

Heart of the Swarm Information Thread!!

- StarCraft
Been having to delete parts to make room for more links - I'll definitely have to split it in to 2 posts. =( Wish I had reserved a post or to at the start, now.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Attending Gamescom: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2510611710?page=5#85Update: The same portion of the campaign that was available to play at the press conference was also available to those attending Gamescom. Not much new information was revealed, except that they hope to launch the map market place with HotS and release Blizzard Allstars (DotA) about the same time.

I'm not sure that I like that part. Kerrigen could die in the first game, and NOW she's NOT a zerg. So why do it now? This game isn't DOTA, it's Starcraft. In WoL you'd have to prepare your forces acordinally to prevent the dreaded Game Over, and here it will be like "ahh kerrigern died, meh". making HotS a DotA like game would suck.
I Certainly hope that Blizz will change that.
Reply Quote
- StarCraft
09/25/2011 01:32 AMPosted by Ragnarok
Blizzard Attending Gamescom: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2510611710?page=5#85Update: The same portion of the campaign that was available to play at the press conference was also available to those attending Gamescom. Not much new information was revealed, except that they hope to launch the map market place with HotS and release Blizzard Allstars (DotA) about the same time.

I'm not sure that I like that part. Kerrigen could die in the first game, and NOW she's NOT a zerg. So why do it now? This game isn't DOTA, it's Starcraft. In WoL you'd have to prepare your forces acordinally to prevent the dreaded Game Over, and here it will be like "ahh kerrigern died, meh". making HotS a DotA like game would suck.
I Certainly hope that Blizz will change that.

Hmm, what? Heart of the Swarm isn't going to be like DotA, not even close. They just happen to be releasing the Blizzard Dota mod at roughly the same time.

However, it is true that Kerrigan can "Revive" - though I think she just "burrows away". However, from what I've seen, there is no other resemblance to DotA. (The way she gains new abilities very different sort of system)

Anyways, they're trying hard to make sure it still feels like Starcraft, not Warcraft or DotA. They just want it to feel like Kerrigan actually has power, unlike in the original Starcraft where heroes were often so fragile you protected them, not used them to spearhead your attack.
Reply Quote
so, when is the heart of swarm expected to be released?
Reply Quote
- StarCraft
10/06/2011 03:17 PMPosted by Morfox
so, when is the heart of swarm expected to be released?

Mid - Early 2012, but its not an exact date. We can hope!
Edited by TheSkunk on 10/6/2011 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- StarCraft
Can't live with the Character Limit anymore with Blizzcon comming up, so I made an official split into two parts.

• Part One: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2510611710?page=1#1

• Part Two: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2510611710?page=1#10
  • Reply Quote
    - StarCraft
    Sorry guys; extremely busy right now. Updated posts but still incomplete coverage. Will add more later

Blizzcon Articles (Will be updated as I find more)

Sc2 Mapster Coverage: Sc2 Mapster Coverage: http://www.sc2mapster.com/forums/general/general-chat/27320-blizzcon-2011-all-around-coverage/
    http://www.sc2mapster.com/announcements/blizz-con-2011/
    Team Liquid Coverage: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=277868
    Screddit Coverage: http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/lkmi0/full_breakdown_of_the_sc2_multiplayer_panel/
    Sc Legacy: http://sclegacy.com/news/23-sc2/1090-blizzcon-2011-starcraft-ii-multiplayer-panel
    Edited by TheSkunk on 10/23/2011 6:19 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    will you be able to use your portraits from WoL on HotS?
    Reply Quote
    we better man...
    Reply Quote
    great information. Thanks.
    Reply Quote
    i was looking at the videos of the new units and im thinking WTF zerg just got shorthchanged in this its not that we only get two new units its that they arnt that good..... like okay so terrans get the radiation one that can kill bio units so fast....well toss has 4 bio units, terrans have 4, and zerg have all bio units and buildings.....then i look at the toss they have a unit (so do the terrans) that are now designed to counter zerg mutas.......then the toss get this new unit that can destroy us super early in the game....like WTF i have to surround my base with 50 spore crawlers now! then the zerg units are terrible like the mobile swarm one is amazing but it takes too long to spawn another set of them.......im glad to hear that banes can move while burrowed and ultras have a burrow charge but besides that we have been screwed by blizzard..... I will admit its kinda early to just infer this so im gonna wait till the game comes out then if it is this post it again or email blizz about it to see if they can fix it cuz this first look looks like zerg got screwed soooooo bad
    Edited by Prodox on 11/14/2011 4:08 PM PST
    Reply Quote
    - StarCraft
    this its not that we only get two new units its that they arnt that good.....

Well, Zerg only had the overseer removed, whereas for Protoss both the Carrier and the Mothership have been removed.

As for there power, thats a matter of opinion. I feel myself that Protoss got the worse end of the stick. Have you tried the HotS Custom map that replicates these changes yet?

like okay so terrans get the radiation one that can kill bio units so fast....

I was not aware the Shredder did bonus to Bio, but I guess that would make some sense.

Either way, its a defense unit and takes time to be deployed; it should only kill your units when you walk into it. Shredder drops could be real tough, but they're aware of that concern.

look at the toss they have a unit (so do the terrans) that are now designed to counter zerg mutas.......

Yeah, Blizzard really seems have something out for mutas =P

I will admit its kinda early to just infer this

Yeah, of all things to complain about pre-release, balance is the least of them. WoL still had ridiculous imbalances in the Beta, but they were ironed out. If you think a unit has a fundamental flaw, though, thats the kind of feedback they look out for.
    Reply Quote
    11/14/2011 04:06 PMPosted by Prodox
    i was looking at the videos of the new units and im thinking WTF zerg just got shorthchanged in this its not that we only get two new units its that they arnt that good..... like okay so terrans get the radiation one that can kill bio units so fast....well toss has 4 bio units, terrans have 4, and zerg have all bio units and buildings.....then i look at the toss they have a unit (so do the terrans) that are now designed to counter zerg mutas.......then the toss get this new unit that can destroy us super early in the game....like WTF i have to surround my base with 50 spore crawlers now! then the zerg units are terrible like the mobile swarm one is amazing but it takes too long to spawn another set of them.......im glad to hear that banes can move while burrowed and ultras have a burrow charge but besides that we have been screwed by blizzard..... I will admit its kinda early to just infer this so im gonna wait till the game comes out then if it is this post it again or email blizz about it to see if they can fix it cuz this first look looks like zerg got screwed soooooo bad

Yes, except the zerg can rapidly heal all units and buildings with the queen's transfusion ability. Keep enough queens by your side [even carried into the fight within overlords], popping them out for quick healing, and back on the warpath and you'll roll your opposition over.
    Reply Quote
    - StarCraft
    11/26/2011 09:30 PMPosted by SeksyMufnMan
    i feel stupid for asking this but im new to starcraft, is this going to be a patch like in WoW? or a full expansion

SC2 is patched regularly like WoW, but in the case of Heart of the Swarm it is a full expansion.
    Reply Quote
    - StarCraft
    I would guess 40$ as well, but right now thats all we can do - guess - because no official price has been announced and probably won't be until shortly before release.
    Reply Quote
    :( Every day I keep logging in hoping that I hear some more news about HotS. Please o please blizzard drop the bomb!
    Reply Quote
    I don't understand how SCII was deep in development when they realized the game was too massive and split it in 3 seperate games, yet with the majority of the ground work already done, still takes over a year for the expansion/continuation. I know Blizzard likes to take their time but this is ridiculous. Was the SCII team broken up? Moved to the DOTA project instead? Why the enormous gap between game and expansions?
    Edited by Athux on 12/10/2011 6:15 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    MVP - StarCraft
    I don't understand how SCII was deep in development when they realized the game was too massive and split it in 3 seperate games, yet with the majority of the ground work already done, still takes over a year for the expansion/continuation.

Planning and doing the actual work are two different things - and while the groundwork of the engine is complete, they still have to make significant alterations to Battle.net and the game engine, as well make an entire campaign from scratch using new art and unique levels. This is not including the multiplayer (which, while easier with the foundations in place, must still be approached with extreme caution as an eSport) achievements, editor improvements, new services, or anything else which the plan to add.

Perhaps its not so much that they are taking too long, so much as they're adding more new content to the expansion then you imagine. Either way (From Wikipedia) Starcraft II's development started in 2003 (was delayed by a year in 2005) and was released 2010. Considering that (approximate) 6-year development time, is the development time of this feature-packed expansion really that much of a surprise?

Don't get me wrong, though . . I'm just like you and picKLes. I want it to come out NAOW! >:O

It is more important to me, though, that it includes the many features I want it to have (Mainly Battle.net improvements :P) and that the balance is fine-tuned to be amazing to watch the pros play and still fun to play myself.

Guide to the Forums: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3053677676
    Heart of the Swarm Information Thread: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2510611710?page=1
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]