StarCraft® II

D!@# Nature you Scary!(HotSUnit Suggestions)

If Nature has it, Zerg should have it, because D!@# Nature, you scary! This is yet another “Unit Suggestions for Heart of the Swarm” thread, but specifically I'd like to focus on what does Nature have that the Zerg could use?

Summary for the TL:DR people: Zerg have a lot in common with Nature. Here are some examples in the current game. Here are some ideas of future units that have attributes in common with creatures in Nature. Your ideas?

It seems that when Blizzard designed the Zerg, they took a look at Nature for inspiration, particularly from the creepy crawly side of insects and arachnids. You can see that many of the units and abilities the Zerg utilize have counterparts with Nature, and as such they have a terrifying familiarity about them, some of which I will mention a little later on.

For example, here are some things that Nature has which the Zerg also have:

Burrow: This attribute is shared by many creatures alike, but the one that most reminds me most of the Zerg is the Wolf Spider. This creature digs a burrow where it can hide undetected by more powerful enemies, and launch a surprise attack on weaker creatures for food.

Queen: Several types of insects have queens, but the one that reminds me mostly of the Zerg Queen is the Honey bee. The queen Honey bee stays in one portion of the hive for her entire life, and consistently lays eggs and keeps the colony expanding. Her workers tend to her and will throw down their lives instantly to protect her.

Regeneration: Nematodes are some of the most interesting creatures when it comes to regeneration. Like the Roach, if they become extremely damaged, they will regenerate their tissue to recover completely. However, what is amazing about nematodes is that if they are cut in half, the two pieces will regenerate into two new creatures. Scary. If only our Roaches could do that...

Spines: The tarantula grows stiff hairs on its abdomen. When it is attacked or threatened by a larger animal, it will pluck these hairs off with its back legs and fling them in the opponents eye. The Hydralisk is a little more lethal manifestation of this.

Power in Numbers: Army ants demonstrate the true ability of a swarm. Endless numbers of tiny workers can overpower and skeletonize a larger creature in mere minutes. Zerglings, especially with their speed upgrades, show this ability in the game as well.

Metamophosis: Every insect starts as an egg, grows to a larva, enters a pupal stage, and then becomes an adult. Some of the most dramatic changes can be seen in butterflies and moths, as they metamorph from catterpillars to coccoons to adults. Every zerg follows this same pattern: larva->egg->Zerg unit.
Reply Quote
Super-organism: The Zerg Hive is not really a base, but it is an organism. The Hatchery/Lair/Hive is like the brain and heart of said organism, producing nerves and blood (creep) for the rest of the organs (buildings). Many insects follow this same structure, and many biologists now refer to such colonies as super-organisms, as no one of them can live without the hive. Bees, ants, and termites are some of these creatures.

Things Nature Has that Zerg doesn’t have:

Camouflage: What really sucks when you are Zerg is you have no way to hide your air units. They lack the technology to cloak, and they can’t burrow because they are up in the air. One ability that the Zerg should have to enable flying units the ability to hide is camouflage. Millions of insects use camouflage to blend into their environment. I think it would be a wonderful passive ability to a flying caster unit, much like the old queen in SCI, as it would allow for some very efficient harassment.

Poison: Fungal growth comes close, but it is not quite what I am thinking here. Many spiders are able to inject a lethal amount of poison into their pray, and then hide while they wait for them to die. It would be beautiful if Hydralisks or other Zerg units could have poisoned spines, which would allow for increased damage over time, which rate would increase the more they were hit. It would naturally only affect biological units.

Parasites: One ability I miss from SCI was the ability to parasite enemies, giving you constant sight. When this was placed on a powerful unit, either you got free vision of everything they were doing, they moved that unit to the far corner of the map, or they killed it to prevent your advantage. Nature shows this in countless ways: remoras on sharks, barnacles on ships, etc.

Enslavement: If you ever want to know a very scary thing about Nature, google “Voodoo Wasp”. This wasp lays its eggs inside of a host caterpillar, and when they hatch they feed off it’s fluids. When they crawl out of the caterpillar to pupate, the caterpillar doesn’t die, but rather exists in a sort of ‘zombie’ state, defending the pupae until they emerge as adults. This fits the Zerg mentality greatly. Imagine a patrolling marine getting abducted by some flying caster unit and filled with eggs, which as they hatch and mature are defended by the marine until they are strong enough and eat him. This would sure give the swarm an ability to grow exponentially.

Well, those are some of my ideas. What other ideas do you have that the Zerg could take from Nature so that they too can be scary.
Reply Quote

Enslavement: If you ever want to know a very scary thing about Nature, google “Voodoo Wasp”. This wasp lays its eggs inside of a host caterpillar, and when they hatch they feed off it’s fluids. When they crawl out of the caterpillar to pupate, the caterpillar doesn’t die, but rather exists in a sort of ‘zombie’ state, defending the pupae until they emerge as adults. This fits the Zerg mentality greatly. Imagine a patrolling marine getting abducted by some flying caster unit and filled with eggs, which as they hatch and mature are defended by the marine until they are strong enough and eat him. This would sure give the swarm an ability to grow exponentially.

Doesn't the infestor mind control sorta count?
Reply Quote

Yeah, kinda. But mind control is temporary, while this would kill the unit after it was controlled and produce more units for you. Which makes me wonder...why doesn't the Infestor make the Collosus it parasites just hit the 'Self Destruct' button once it's done? FOR ZA SWARM!?! *Kaboom!*
Reply Quote
I would like to see a unit that appears to be larger when threatened, sort of like a cat stiffing up and making it appear larger and harder to kill and eat, you know? this unit could be mixed in with an army to absorb damage as it's target priority was passively increased. I think this could change up the gameplay somewhat. Just an idea. Blizzard or someone else can fiddle around with it and see how it works.
Reply Quote
I like this thread! I think they should have a unit that's modeled after the komodo dragon...their bite can REALLY mess a guy up...
Reply Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fTrSOFyfxs

Wouldn't mind if the mutalisk was replaced with something designed around this. They only have 3 range anyway, so we're not missing out. Maybe make the new unit cheaper and one supply in exchange for being a bit weaker and based off a hornet. It would be cool if they had a short-ranged attack while flying, and melee when landed and crawling on its legs.
Edited by MooseKnuckle on 5/11/2011 11:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/10/2011 10:59 PMPosted by Xase
I would like to see a unit that appears to be larger when threatened, sort of like a cat stiffing up and making it appear larger and harder to kill and eat, you know?

I really like this idea. I can imagine a support unit mixed in with the regular Zerg army that can swell up with bright distracting colors to ward off enemies, kind of like how moths use eye spots to scare away predators.

05/11/2011 10:09 AMPosted by Darkdiety
A unit that excels at defense that's similar to termite soldiers might be cool.

I watched this video and it definately merits a "D!@# Nature! You scary!" award. It would be nice if there could be a unit that even when killed, it would still continue to fight back with its dismembered head (flame attacks would nullify this of course).

Wouldn't mind if the mutalisk was replaced with something designed around this. They only have 3 range anyway, so we're not missing out. Maybe make the new unit cheaper and one supply in exchange for being a bit weaker and based off a hornet. It would be cool if they had a short-ranged attack while flying, and melee when landed and crawling on its legs.

I like this a lot, but I kinda am thinking something more than a weak cheap unit. This has the potential to become what I believe the Zerg really need: a creature the enemy sees and cries. I'd like the idea of an armored wasp which can fly slowly, only to drop into enemy infantry and tear them apart with vicious pinchers and stingers. This would allow Zerg to be able to bypass cliffs easier and wreak havoc upon all who opose the Swarm!

Great ideas! Keep em coming!
Reply Quote
i like the hornet idea, but i think it should be ground attack only so we can destroy ground armies from the air! but so theyre not invincable

also one day i saw a bee land n a bench, and its movements looked just like the infestor's idle animation

how about that bug that burrows undergound, then lets ants come into its pit to eat them. now im not trying to make it sound like the lurker, but something that attacks while burrowed for a short range but has a really high attack. should probably give it a slow burrow move so that it can kinda chase after the first strike.

spiders are cool, they use webs to tell when somethings near its trap, so maybe something with a large burrowed sight range thats designed for ambushes (ya im not that imagineitive)
Reply Quote
In SC1 Zerg had a couple of your suggestions, but I'm not sure why they got removed.

Queen (it was a flying unit then) had Ensnare (like a web, it either slowed or stopped units.. I don't remember.. it's only been about 12 years or so since I've played it) and Parasite which gave you the sight of whatever unit you used it on.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2456450705?page=1
Check it out.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2456450705?page=1
Check it out.

I checked this out and it is really cool. I recommend everyone else looks at it too.

Also, looking at cool insects I found this bad boy; the Bombardier Beetle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-wVFLucTks

This puppy actually mixes chemicals in its abdomen and expels a compound which ignites in air. Terran have Hellions, Protoss have Collosi, it's time for Zerg to have something that can fry groups of light units with fire (without blowing themselves up in the process).
Reply Quote

Yeah, kinda. But mind control is temporary, while this would kill the unit after it was controlled and produce more units for you. Which makes me wonder...why doesn't the Infestor make the Collosus it parasites just hit the 'Self Destruct' button once it's done? FOR ZA SWARM!?! *Kaboom!*

Sorry but that will be extremely OP. T.T

True, maybe it could be something for the campaign only...Or never...still would be cool though ^_^
Reply Quote
Parasite on Overseers would be awesome.

Hydralisk biological only DoT would be awesome.

Lurkers were sort of like camouflage, probably won't come back but they could be awesome with some changes like making it 4 food and longer range, no +damage to armored so they can be better at killing other things.

Those 3 things and Zerg would be just sexy.
Reply Quote
05/11/2011 09:08 PMPosted by Bruumyn
Those 3 things and Zerg would be just sexy.

Tell me about it ^_^

The reason I like the camouflage idea is because the Zerg have no way to hide air units. Toss have Observers and indirectly the Mother Ship. Terran have the flying DT (Banshees). Zerg have nothing that can chill in the air without being seen, which is why I think camouflage would be decent. Heck, I'd take it if it was only a passive ability while the unit wasn't moving. It would definately be great for the Overseer...
Reply Quote
I read this thread and promptly watched about 20 videos about insects and fighting and stuff. It was awesome.

Which got me thinking:

Isn't a Carrier-esque unit perfectly-suited for Zerg? Something that is a single entity that "swarms" the enemy?

Sigh.
Reply Quote
I read this thread and promptly watched about 20 videos about insects and fighting and stuff. It was awesome.

Which got me thinking:

Isn't a Carrier-esque unit perfectly-suited for Zerg? Something that is a single entity that "swarms" the enemy?

Sigh.

Brood Lords are sort of like that.
Reply Quote
Aye-aye
100M/150G
100 health / 200 energy - Biological

New unit born from the infestation of monkeys.

Aye-aye habilities:

- Evil Eye: Focus the mind power of the Aye-aye on the target, stunning it on fear for 5 seconds and causing 100 damage over 8 seconds. 6 range, 3 seconds cooldown. No energy cost.

- Apocalypse: Unleashes the real power of the Aye-aye, destroying all units (friendly or enemy) in a radius of 10. 200 energy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]