StarCraft® II

UED

is there any possibility of the united earth directorate making a comeback in the expansions? i know that in brood war that force was just to explore what happened to their prison ships... and it took over the entire sector, could you imagine if the entire fleet came?
Reply Quote
They were by far the most competent Terran faction in the game. I would like to see a return. However, I'd expect their hardware to be unique and not just a different color of Terran. (Although, in SC1, white Terran was the most badass of colors.)
Reply Quote
...Valkeries...? <3
Reply Quote
05/16/2011 08:49 AMPosted by GhostUnit
They were by far the most competent Terran faction in the game. I would like to see a return. However, I'd expect their hardware to be unique and not just a different color of Terran. (Although, in SC1, white Terran was the most badass of colors.)

Competent?! Are you serious lol.
Where do I start? Hiring Duran? Failed to kill Mengsk? Killing Stukov? Failing to captalize when they captured the Zerg? Oh yea very competent. It's no wonder none of the UED forces that were send to Koprulu sector survived....
Reply Quote
Earth never discovered the annihilation of the Expedition, save Helena and the kids. All of the fleet was destroyed after the head-start given by Kerrigan to be hunted down and destroyed. Only one splinter faction (so far seen), Spartan Company, were the survivors of the Brood War.
Reply Quote
Only reason I don't really care to see them make a return is because they will be at the same technological level as the current Terran of the Koprulu Sector (which is dumb because they had an established technological industry and didn't spend years upon years in travel + time spent rebuilding a tech industry and social infrastructure). Realistically, unless they nuked themselves so badly that they also had to completely rebuild, they would be hundreds of years technologically ahead of the Terrans of Koprulu Sector, possibly matching the Protoss tech.

Earth never discovered the annihilation of the Expedition, save Helena and the kids. All of the fleet was destroyed after the head-start given by Kerrigan to be hunted down and destroyed. Only one splinter faction (so far seen), Spartan Company, were the survivors of the Brood War.

That's another thing I don't understand. The UED supposedly headed towards earth, presumably at speeds of FTL. Even if the zerg happened to choose the same exact path as the expeditionary fleet and caught up (lol), how on earth can they catch something that they couldn't even see because it was moving faster than light? Then again, I guess that's why I don't play Starcraft for the story.

Edit: They were traveling at 2,142.86 times the speed of light at a minimum.
Edited by Haruhi on 5/19/2011 2:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/19/2011 02:13 AMPosted by Haruhi
possibly matching the Protoss tech.

They wouldn't be matching Toss tech. Not by a long shot.
Reply Quote
05/19/2011 04:32 PMPosted by ShadowLord

Oh yes they would. The only things that the Protoss have over the current Terrans, aside from fully developed psionic powers, is their shield technology. Presumably they use electromagnetic fields, which we could do now if we could generate the energy required + sustain it.

The Protoss also appear to be severely behind in terms of computer technology and processing power, which we know from the Starcraft books and their use of the khala crystals to store information + manually retrieve articles of information from. It is very possible that the technology they possess is not fully utilized to its fullest because they don't necessarily understand it, they just use whatever the Xel'naga left behind.
Reply Quote
Oh yes they would. The only things that the Protoss have over the current Terrans, aside from fully developed psionic powers, is their shield technology. Presumably they use electromagnetic fields, which we could do now if we could generate the energy required + sustain it.

The Protoss also appear to be severely behind in terms of computer technology and processing power, which we know from the Starcraft books and their use of the khala crystals to store information + manually retrieve articles of information from. It is very possible that the technology they possess is not fully utilized to its fullest because they don't necessarily understand it, they just use whatever the Xel'naga left behind.

I think you are forgetting that they can teleport anything a large as the biggest building or a massive capital ship from planet to planet in seconds. everything they do has teleportation, they even teleport zealots about to die back to base to re-transplant parts of their bidies into stalkers and immortals. They can cloak with no technology. They can store memory. They seem to be able to exist as purely energy beings. They can warp time and space to make a vortex or speed up time in local areas. They use crystals that can organically grow and have a limited ai of their own. They can transmit power wirelessly. The list goes on man....
Reply Quote

I think you are forgetting that they can teleport anything a large as the biggest building or a massive capital ship from planet to planet in seconds. everything they do has teleportation, they even teleport zealots about to die back to base to re-transplant parts of their bidies into stalkers and immortals. They can cloak with no technology. They can store memory. They seem to be able to exist as purely energy beings. They can warp time and space to make a vortex or speed up time in local areas. They use crystals that can organically grow and have a limited ai of their own. They can transmit power wirelessly. The list goes on man....

Likely, they are using wormholes to move things through it. If they were to directly transmit themselves and buildings as energy as you claim, then they would not be able to move faster than the speed of light and would in fact move far slower than the Terrans. It isn't a far stretch to say that the humans of the UED are able to utilize wormholes.

I should point out that in the lore and books, they do indeed travel instantly between worlds using the Xel'Naga devices, presumably similar to what is seen and used in the Stargate Universe. They do not, however, get transformed into energy and get reorganized into structured organic matter as seen in Star Trek once they reach their destination.
Edited by Haruhi on 5/20/2011 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Likely, they are using wormholes to move things through it. If they were to directly transmit themselves and buildings as energy as you claim, then they would not be able to move faster than the speed of light and would in fact move far slower than the Terrans. It isn't a far stretch to say that the humans of the UED are able to utilize wormholes.

I should point out that in the lore and books, they do indeed travel instantly between worlds using the Xel'Naga devices, presumably similar to what is seen and used in the Stargate Universe. They do not, however, get transformed into energy and get reorganized into structured organic matter as seen in Star Trek once they reach their destination.
I think you're forgetting something relatively basic... the Protoss never took the Terrans seriously in the beginning. Not only that, but all their most powerfull weaponry is sealed and locked away(the colossi arent the only ones). The Protoss outclass Terrans in technology big time. But thats not to say that the protoss should win out right because they're more advanced. back in the 1800s, The U.S. forces against the Native Americans, the soldiers had much advanced equipment throughout the majority of all the fight, but were still getting the tar kicked out of em. It was numbers that won the fight, not technology.

As to the wormholes, nope. It wasnt wormhole tech. It was warp and teleportation tech. Read the lore a little bit.
Reply Quote
05/19/2011 04:32 PMPosted by ShadowLord

I could see it, imagine tech from 200 years ago, they couldn't even imagine the stuff we have to day, and it'd be no different than if we were to try and think of what we'd have in 200 years from now.
Reply Quote

I think you're forgetting something relatively basic... the Protoss never took the Terrans seriously in the beginning. Not only that, but all their most powerfull weaponry is sealed and locked away(the colossi arent the only ones). The Protoss outclass Terrans in technology big time. But thats not to say that the protoss should win out right because they're more advanced. back in the 1800s, The U.S. forces against the Native Americans, the soldiers had much advanced equipment throughout the majority of all the fight, but were still getting the tar kicked out of em. It was numbers that won the fight, not technology.

As to the wormholes, nope. It wasnt wormhole tech. It was warp and teleportation tech. Read the lore a little bit.

The Protoss never took the Terran seriously, and they obviously didn't take the zerg seriously enough either. If the Terrans are currently able to hold their own, mostly, against the zerg, what's to say that the UED won't completely blow them out of the water, let alone the Protoss? Sure, the Protoss may have some advanced weapons, but honestly the idea behind something like the colossus really isn't that advanced--concentrated high-energy beam weapons, it's something that is within the realm of possibility for the near future for us currently.

Your Native American verse colonial soldier analogy is horrible. In all conflicts following the establishment of the country, Americans utterly slaughtered the natives; they were completely lopsided victories and took whatever land they chose. Sure, they may have killed an American, but a hugely disproportionate amount of Native Americans died as a result.

I really want you to also define "warp and teleportation" as well, because without some type of wormhole, they absolutely cannot move faster than the speed of light. "warping and teleportation" are also not travel methods, it is a way to describe a phenomenon or travel type in layman's terms.

I also did read the lore, the Protoss primarily used space ships to travel long distances except for when on a planet with what you would call a teleporter, and I gave the example of the Stargate Universe devices, which were effectively wormholes.
Edited by Haruhi on 5/21/2011 12:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote

The Protoss never took the Terran seriously, and they obviously didn't take the zerg seriously enough either. If the Terrans are currently able to hold their own, mostly, against the zerg, what's to say that the UED won't completely blow them out of the water, let alone the Protoss? Sure, the Protoss may have some advanced weapons, but honestly the idea behind something like the colossus really isn't that advanced--concentrated high-energy beam weapons, it's something that is within the realm of possibility for the near future for us currently.

Your Native American verse colonial soldier analogy is horrible. In all conflicts following the establishment of the country, Americans utterly slaughtered the natives; they were completely lopsided victories and took whatever land they chose. Sure, they may have killed an American, but a hugely disproportionate amount of Native Americans died as a result.

I really want you to also define "warp and teleportation" as well, because without some type of wormhole, they absolutely cannot move faster than the speed of light. "warping and teleportation" are also not travel methods, it is a way to describe a phenomenon or travel type in layman's terms.

I also did read the lore, the Protoss primarily used space ships to travel long distances except for when on a planet with what you would call a teleporter, and I gave the example of the Stargate Universe devices, which were effectively wormholes.
You're kidding right? In all those lopsided battles, guess who struck first? Guess who attacked straight up whole villages and slaughtered men women and children? Guess who almost always outnumbered the other force 3+ to 1 in almost every single recorded battle? Just guess. No seriously.

Alright, Warp: The alteration of the rules of spacetime to allow for faster than light travel, or just the alteration of space time. That is generally the accepted definition of warp.

Teleportation. The seeming instantaneous travel from point a to point be through use of some device. In Startrek, it was the deconstruction of matter into energy, the transmition of said energy, then the reconstruction of energy into matter. There are many different methods of teleportation from one science fiction story to another, but none of them involve the use of wormholes. Some use subspace, but wormholes dont use subspace, they bipass it all together.

Wormholes are, for lack of a more scientific explanation, a hole through space, connecting point a to point b. Its an entirely different principle to warp and teleportation.

And the reason they used spaceships to travel long distances is because a beacon is needed to guide the warping structure in. Just maybe the Gateway or the Starport make use of wormholes, as they could be considered anchor points, but lore wise they use the same tech thats used to bring the structures in.
Edited by Mehiven on 5/21/2011 7:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
[quote] You're kidding right? In all those lopsided battles, guess who struck first? Guess who attacked straight up whole villages and slaughtered men women and children? Guess who almost always outnumbered the other force 3+ to 1 in almost every single recorded battle? Just guess. No seriously.

Alright, Warp: The alteration of the rules of spacetime to allow for faster than light travel, or just the alteration of space time. That is generally the accepted definition of warp.

Teleportation. The seeming instantaneous travel from point a to point be through use of some device. In Startrek, it was the deconstruction of matter into energy, the transmition of said energy, then the reconstruction of energy into matter. There are many different methods of teleportation from one science fiction story to another, but none of them involve the use of wormholes. Some use subspace, but wormholes dont use subspace, they bipass it all together.

Wormholes are, for lack of a more scientific explanation, a hole through space, connecting point a to point b. Its an entirely different principle to warp and teleportation.

And the reason they used spaceships to travel long distances is because a beacon is needed to guide the warping structure in. Just maybe the Gateway or the Starport make use of wormholes, as they could be considered anchor points, but lore wise they use the same tech thats used to bring the structures in.

In every scenario with the Native Americans, they were wholly slaughtered and the remnants were relocated, and technology did play a huge role in the majority of conflicts. By wholly slaughtered, I mean that if they didn't relocate as the US government said, they were utterly destroyed. I don't know where you are getting this "kick the tar" crap from that, which wasn't the case for the majority of the US vs Native American wars. A related example could be the Spanish conquest of the Native South Americans, in which very few Spaniards killed thousands and thousands of the natives.

Sure, the idea of warp and teleportation (lol) might exist in within the science fiction of the Starcraft universe, but it isn't ahead of the Terrans in any way. What you call warp is achievable by the Terrans. How else are they able to travel 2100x the speed of light--when they first were exiled from Earth? If they are exiles and rebuilt their tech industry to be able to travel FTL and such, the UED certainly is going to be far, far ahead of them technologically, and probably ahead of the Protoss because they actually understand the tech that they are building while also being on par technologically, at least.

You also aren't really answering anything I said about teleportation. I completely understand how it works in Star Trek, and I think I've said in an earlier post that the method of being transmitted as energy is limited to the speed of light, which is pretty slow if not traveling on the same planet. Your beacons that you keep talking about are probably the Xel'naga devices already found on worlds that the Protoss use, which, are probably devices able to create a wormhole at specific coordinates. The Protoss cannot choose to go wherever they want, they are limited by what the Xel'naga left behind and where it was left.
Edited by Haruhi on 5/21/2011 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I think the UED fleet returning may just be too random and break the pace of the story (which apparently they are building up from bits of this one, like the artifact and its purpose). However, I'm kind of surprised nobody's mentioned the fact Stukov's still alive (thanks to Blizzard's idiotic attempt to make Starcraft a console game, but it's canon nontheless), and with the conflict with Duran I'd expect the final showdown to be between the only faction Duran has ever directly intervened to eliminate and himself.

But I leave it to Blizzard.
Reply Quote
05/21/2011 12:00 PMPosted by Haruhi
You also aren't really answering anything I said about teleportation. I completely understand how it works in Star Trek, and I think I've said in an earlier post that the method of being transmitted as energy is limited to the speed of light, which is pretty slow if not traveling on the same planet. Your beacons that you keep talking about are probably the Xel'naga devices already found on worlds that the Protoss use, which, are probably devices able to create a wormhole at specific coordinates. The Protoss cannot choose to go wherever they want, they are limited by what the Xel'naga left behind and where it was left.
Where are you getting that the Protoss are imitative rather than innovative? Yes the Xel'Naga tought them science and technology, but to say that in the 100s of thousands of years since, that they didnt develope the technology even further, is a bit stupid. UED more advanced than the Protoss? How? How is it even more advanced than the Dominion? It took a relatively short amount of time for the Terrans in the Ksector to reinvent everything through reverse engineering, and even then the two are still identicle when compairing them. Valkeries? Thats just a difference in who was doing what, not an example of superior technology.

I'll say it again, the Protoss have had thousands of years of spacetravel since the Aeon of strife. To say that the UED are more advanced than the Protoss, is to say the Humans from the Stargate universe are more advanced than the Asgard.

05/21/2011 12:00 PMPosted by Haruhi
Sure, the idea of warp and teleportation (lol) might exist in within the science fiction of the Starcraft universe, but it isn't ahead of the Terrans in any way. What you call warp is achievable by the Terrans. How else are they able to travel 2100x the speed of light--when they first were exiled from Earth? If they are exiles and rebuilt their tech industry to be able to travel FTL and such, the UED certainly is going to be far, far ahead of them technologically, and probably ahead of the Protoss because they actually understand the tech that they are building while also being on par technologically, at least.
I fully understand that warp is achievable by Terrans. Im not blind, and im not denying that the Terrans have some advanced technology at their disposal. Im meerly denying that the UED is MORE advanced than the Protoss, which is an idiotic proposal at best. The Protoss were TAUGHT science. They fully understand the things they build and use. The Terrans are not on par technologically, regardless. Give then 500 years, while the protoss remain at a standstill, and maybe they will be, but to say that humans advance so fast, that not only do their current technology trump those who traveled space for billions of years, and then developed even further by the Protoss is again, just idiotic.
Reply Quote
Yes, but the advancement in technology is way different. The terran in the Koprulus sector have been pitted against the most powerful forces in the universe, the protoss and zerg. They had to adapt to fighting these extraordinary forces while the UED has been snug and cozy far away from the chaos, not needed to battle at teh moment. Sure, they might be developing some technology, but they will never get the chance to test it intill it's to late.
Reply Quote
05/24/2011 11:41 PMPosted by Ragnarok
Yes, but the advancement in technology is way different. The terran in the Koprulus sector have been pitted against the most powerful forces in the universe, the protoss and zerg. They had to adapt to fighting these extraordinary forces while the UED has been snug and cozy far away from the chaos, not needed to battle at teh moment. Sure, they might be developing some technology, but they will never get the chance to test it intill it's to late.

The Terrans in the K-sector only met the Protoss and Zerg at the start of SC1. The UED met them in combat at the start of BW. There is not much of a time gap there; maybe 2 years at most?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]