StarCraft® II

a question about the theory of relatively

05/17/2011 12:27 AMPosted by Kavusto
any questions? :D

Yes. What does this have to do with starcraft?
Reply Quote
05/17/2011 07:13 AMPosted by BigO

Yes. What does this have to do with starcraft?

It's sci-fi. Sci stands for science. Most people forget that...
Reply Quote
05/17/2011 07:22 AMPosted by MaxPower
It's sci-fi. Sci stands for science. Most people forget that...

Which is why it should go here:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/2721893/
Reply Quote
no one can answer this and trying is just an exercise in futility. by the way i doubt anyone is going to sit here and geometrically derive the special theory of relativity for you much less the general theory of relativity (doubt anyone can derive it anyway without copying wikipedia).
Reply Quote
Homura-chan can time travel.
Reply Quote
i have been watching a bit of Dr. Who and SG-1 lately and became fascinated with the concept of time. now, i am just a high school student, and have no idea what i am talking about, but i felt i needed to ask this question because i want to know the answer -if there is an answer.
this is how my logic worked:
- energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed- and therefore the total amount remains constant
- when people travel through time - weather forwards or backwards, they take mass with them because they are of course, made of mass

knowing this i am asking: what happens to the mass that disappears? if the amount of mass/energy remains constant and someone travels through time taking mass with them what would happen? the amount of matter in that point of time has increased and the amount of matter taken from the original point of time would have decreased. And according to the first law of thermodynamics this is impossible.

i had a second question but i forgot it, if i remember i will post it.

Time is space, therein you are neither destroying or creating energy throughout "space" you are merely re-arranging it. However, what you would have to do to actually produce something which would allow you to travel through time would kill you or "destroy" you. Reason, you would essentially be talking about creating, and traveling through, a blackhole. Because this is the type of force required to bend space to create a "time travel bend". Therein you would not be able to pass through your hole in time.

You can kind of think of time travel as the distortion affect in photo editing software. You aren't adding anything to the picture but you are moving pigment and colors around to different places forming a slightly different one. This is kinda what time travel is in Einsteins' theory. (in this analogy gravity is the distortion affect and you are the pigment, or the energy and mass, being moved by distortion.)

If you bring up an Einstein Rosen bridge (wormhole) once again you run into problems as this is essentially positing a black hole on top of a white hole (essentially a massive self sustaining explosion). Anybody that understands "waves" would understand the problem with the conept here, two contrary waves cancel each other out, it would cancel itself out. Therein an Einstein Rosen bridge either could not be created, two contrary items running into each other, or it would pinch itself off from reality as soon as it was created due to the interaction of the graviton "particles" and the anti graviton "particles" *(these particles are all theoretical however as we still really don't understand gravity, but maybe the LHC will discover the higgs boson and we will start to understand it :)).
Edited by flare on 5/17/2011 8:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think in the simplest terms as a response to the OP's question, no mass would be lost as the energy created to move that time-traveler backwards/forwards in time would take place of his/her mass and be disipated into the universe, thus conserving everything as it should.
Reply Quote
Time is a measurement of change, and not a "thing" you can "move through". There is no actual "past", there are just memories occurring now. There is no "future", just imagination happening now.
Reply Quote
Everything is speculation until it is done for real.
Reply Quote
05/17/2011 06:16 AMPosted by SolidArtifex
E=MCsquared in layman's terms To send a 180 pound person back in time requires a #!@%load of energy.

Actually it's impossible because you'd need to be traveling faster than the speed of light or have infinite mass to achieve that.

Going back to the subject, if you really are interested in this subject, may I suggest reading "A brief history of time", its a very good book by none other than Stephen Hawking. You may not understand most of it, but the stuff that you do understand is really quite amazing... I've read it like 4 times now, twice in highschool and twice in college, and each time I read it, I learn something new. :)

Also, there was a documentary made by Stephen Hawking that talks about time travel called "Into the Universe with Stephen Hawking: Time Travel" Loved watching it =)
Edited by qtrScorp on 5/17/2011 10:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I learned the basics of special relativity in high schhol physics.

Based on what I learned:

Time travel into the PAST is IMPOSSIBLE.

Time travel into the future is relative to the observer and the frame of refference.

For instance say there is a person A in a rocket ship traveling at 99% the speed of light
And there is a person B standing still

An Observer person C would see person A's clock ticking 7.089 times slower (the lorentz factor for 0.99c) than person B's.

So if person A was to emerge from the spaceship after 100 years of "his time" he would see a world where 708.9 years has passed in person B and C's reference frame.

This is totally ignoring the effects of GENERAL RELATIVITY however, which takes into consideration the effect of acceleration on time dilation. Acceleration is absolute, unlike velocity, which is relative.

Reply Quote
You've answer your own question. Time travel is impossible.
Reply Quote
Time is a plaything for madmen and fools.

And this:

2. People aren't wearing enough hats
Edited by BanesidheVex on 5/17/2011 10:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i have been watching a bit of Dr. Who and SG-1 lately and became fascinated with the concept of time. now, i am just a high school student, and have no idea what i am talking about, but i felt i needed to ask this question because i want to know the answer -if there is an answer.
this is how my logic worked:
- energy and matter cannot be created or destroyed- and therefore the total amount remains constant
- when people travel through time - weather forwards or backwards, they take mass with them because they are of course, made of mass

knowing this i am asking: what happens to the mass that disappears? if the amount of mass/energy remains constant and someone travels through time taking mass with them what would happen? the amount of matter in that point of time has increased and the amount of matter taken from the original point of time would have decreased. And according to the first law of thermodynamics this is impossible.

i had a second question but i forgot it, if i remember i will post it.

The total mass/energy in the universe remains the same. All time travel is doing moving this around. Think of it like a house, you can move objects from one room to another without having to destroy or create this objects.

Now, strictly speaking time travel as seen in SG1/Doctor Who is impossible by our current understanding of the universe. We can do things with time dilation and there are theories that could allow time travel backwards through time given the right set of conditions, but nothing that we know of could allow for a TARDIS like entity to exist.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]