StarCraft® II

New GPU.

Hey, I wounder what GPU would be nice to run Starcraft 2 and Battlefield 3 at max (By saying max I mean 1024x1024 or close to that resolution and max settings).
I have a:
AMD X4 840
8Gb RAM
300 W power supply
1T hard drive
and the bad video card 9400GT
Edit: Now I have a new power supply 650W
Edited by UruguayoLoCo on 5/27/2011 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
ATI 5770 lets me run sc2 at Extreme settings with 60+fps in 4s normally
Reply Quote
but a radeon 5770 is unlikely to play nice with a 300W power supply. considering the card you've got; you might want to upgrade your power supply too or you won't really be able to buy a much better card.
Reply Quote
ya forgot about taht
Reply Quote
First of all I suggest getting a new power supply. A 500 watt PSU would be sufficient. Second, Nvidia just released their newest graphics card, the GTX 560. I would consider it the best valued card out right now. It's under $200 and you can easily play a 1920x1200 resolution in 3D at a steady 63 FPS.
Reply Quote
Yeah, I just update my power supply to 650 W. I was thinking on a 6850 Radeon is it worthed?
Reply Quote
HD 6850 is pretty good for SC2. You will run Enthusiast settings well. If you are slashing cost then get the HD5770. Both performs almost equally (6850 slightly better)

6850 possesses 256-bit while 5770 is 128-bit. The advantage can only be felt if your monitor's native resolution is pretty high.
Reply Quote
What makes the 256-Bits and 128-Bit perform better ? What is the difference ?
And any one have any idea about Battlefield 3 performance (I know it is not out yet but we could try)
Reply Quote
What about the 5830 it is almost the same as the 6850? They both have 256-bits.
Reply Quote
05/24/2011 06:08 PMPosted by UruguayoLoCo
What about the 5830 it is almost the same as the 6850? They both have 256-bits.

To put it simply, the bit is like a highway. The bigger it is, the wider the highway will be. So much more data could pass through it. If your monitor is big like 23 inches, then more data is needed to make the graphics crisp and realistic. If you have a 19 inches or less then 128-bit (HD5770) will be great.

5830 vs 6850
Do not be deceived by the numbers. 5830 is more powerful. Just check the specs for info. The price is high too. You wont really be able to feel the difference.
Reply Quote
And any one have any idea about Battlefield 3 performance (I know it is not out yet but we could try)

No specs for the battlefield 3 yet. But I am betting your current specs with a HD5770 will run it in best graphics mode. Just dont upgrade your monitor size. Im having 1440 x 900.
Reply Quote
Ok so I'm going for a 256-bits because my monitor is bigger than 23 inches and probably wait until Battlefield 3 comes out. Thanks you for all this help !
Reply Quote
XXX number of bits indicates the bandwidth of the graphics card. the more the bits the higher the transfer rate, and higher the performance
Reply Quote
i have a 5770 with 128bits for a 27" monitor and i have no issues
is the difference really notable?
Reply Quote
i have a 5770 with 128bits for a 27" monitor and i have no issues
is the difference really notable?

Another question to that.
What resolution are you playing on?
Does the resolution matter?
Reply Quote
im at 1920*1080
Reply Quote

No specs for the battlefield 3 yet. But I am betting your current specs with a HD5770 will run it in best graphics mode. Just dont upgrade your monitor size. Im having 1440 x 900.

http://enterbf3.com/battlefield-3-minimum-requirements.php
I found some info about it but is it official?
Edit: Not official
Edited by UruguayoLoCo on 5/26/2011 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If you look at BF3, you'll need atleast a 560 or 6950 tbh. Its not a game for a 5770.
Reply Quote
05/18/2011 05:08 PMPosted by Gumby
First of all I suggest getting a new power supply. A 500 watt PSU would be sufficient. Second, Nvidia just released their newest graphics card, the GTX 560. I would consider it the best valued card out right now. It's under $200 and you can easily play a 1920x1200 resolution in 3D at a steady 63 FPS.

The 560TI is the best bang for the bunk as far as GPU's as he said above.
Thats what I almost got in my new computer that I just built, but then I randomly decided to splurge and bought a 580 for some reason lol =p, like double the price for like 20% more power....

------------------------------------------------
Poptarts Taste Like...
Reply Quote

The 560TI is the best bang for the bunk as far as GPU's as he said above.
Thats what I almost got in my new computer that I just built, but then I randomly decided to splurge and bought a 580 for some reason lol =p, like double the price for like 20% more power....

------------------------------------------------
Poptarts Taste Like...

I am going to agree again with the 560. I just got one a few weeks back and it is quite amazing. Just get a bigger power supply or that 560 will eat your system.

Edit: Also, I plan to SLI 560s together in the future... I believe it will outperform a 590 when SLI'd. :D
Edited by Vath on 5/27/2011 1:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]