Prototyping Scifi Gear: Need Input

Good morning everyone. I am currently prototyping a futuristic wrist computer(1) via iPhone and UDK(2) and intend to develop my own hardware if this prototype succeeds. It is intended to have both consumer and pseudo-military(3) applications.

Now I'm sure you'll laugh, but my influences come from spy films with some futuristic themes and anime such as Ghost in the Shell and Evangelion.

And this is where YOU come in. Feel free to call me crazy, troll me, and all that fun stuff; but, please do consider providing your input and suggestions regarding what features I should add to this futuristic iPhone app. Thanks!

Budget: I'd prefer not to spend more thank $100,000 on this iPhone prototype.

1. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d0/Wrist_Computer.png AND http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wearable_computer

2. http://www.udk.com/

3. Pseudo-military = Military enthusiasts imitating military grade technology via legal means
Reply Quote
Just googled Pip Boy....interesting.

Obvious features would include:
  • augmented reality maps

• voice commands/recognition

• encrypted data transfer (won't be foolproof using iPhone prototype because jailbreaking is bad ^^)

• foreign language translation

• Need more ideas...especially for civilian use.
    Reply Quote
    different levels of encryption for military and civilian like give options or whatever
    Reply Quote
    I would suggest a general health monitor.

Heart rate, blood pressure, etc.. Maybe a pedometer ( for the health conscious ).

Actually that would be really good for military too, as they could monitor health conditions for those in the field.

also, might try a text-to-talk feature for the mute. Wouldn't happen to have anything that can change the skin so brail users could use it?

maybe a few pins behind a flexible display, that push up in certain areas for each letter / word.
    Reply Quote
    um, just on a hardware standpoint, touch-screens are rather fragile. Some thing that big on your wrist is inevitably gonna get bumped, especially if your talking psudo-millitary applications, whatever that means. In such a monolithic form, it's also going to slide around on the wrist/forearm unless you strap it down so tightly it cuts off circulation.

if your set on having it on a wrist like that, you should eventually have it molded around the wrist like a gauntlet. think Lela's little wrist doohicky from futurama.

Civilian applications are easy. GPS, Phone, Data. Voice commands are a must for future tech obviously. Augmented reality is going rather slowly. The most promising stuff I've seen just casually prancing around the internet is from Google. Same for translation actually, although its far from perfect. Even so, the speech to text stuff is alot better, as is the text to speech.
    I'm not really sure what else civilians need that isn't already packed into smart phones.

Military is a bit different, but I realized I just spent a half hour trying to come up with ideas that haven't already been said, and failed.

And here comes your troll.

MAKE IT SHOOT LAZERS!
    Reply Quote
    05/18/2011 06:55 AMPosted by InvictusTT
    Feel free to call me crazy, troll me, and all that fun stuff

Here goes: Make it detect power levels.
    Reply Quote
    06/10/2011 11:17 PMPosted by Ginkner
    MAKE IT SHOOT LAZERS!

Yeyeah!

Serious input, though...

How 'bout Infrared camera? I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to add?
    Also, maybe a parabolic dish of sorts to help one listen in from across a moderate distance as long as they're in line of sight?
    Reply Quote
    06/20/2011 10:08 AMPosted by Phinix
    Also, maybe a parabolic dish

Is there a reason I can't find anything on portable/compact parabolic mics? Does the dish require perfect rigidity to be effective?... I had sort of an aperture-like fold out dish in mind, but am wondering if that just doesn't work?
    Reply Quote
    I think that you should look into flexible electronics to make this device. This would overcome the problem someone else mentioned about the frailty of touchscreens. There is actually already technology out there which lets you create dynamic "buttons" with tactile response on a flexible screen as well.
    Reply Quote
    It is not impossible to have an iphone touch screen, however you would have to have something to protect the touch screen while it is not in use, such as a plastic shell or even a shudder. The problem I would forsee with voice commands, is that in a large area the noise could bog it down, so you would need either a button, some microphone, or an option to turn it off. Next, obviously GPS is nice, with the GPS you could also have a calender that alerts you at certain times, and if you want to say, buy a book, then it alerts you when you are near the bookstore. Internet use is nice if that is possible. since it is voice commanded, a babblefish esque feature on it would be superb. Possibly if you have a medical condition, if it begins to act up (this is attached to your wrist so it should be able to pick something like this up) it could alert the nearest hospital to your location, similarly, if it is stolen or you are in distress, you could type some combo on it and have it do two things, alert the police, and send them GPS data.
    Reply Quote
    um, just on a hardware standpoint, touch-screens are rather fragile. Some thing that big on your wrist is inevitably gonna get bumped, especially if your talking psudo-millitary applications, whatever that means. In such a monolithic form, it's also going to slide around on the wrist/forearm unless you strap it down so tightly it cuts off circulation.

if your set on having it on a wrist like that, you should eventually have it molded around the wrist like a gauntlet. think Lela's little wrist doohicky from futurama.

http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/25633/

Problem solved? :D

Don't forget, all the coolest real life gear has roots in fiction.
    Reply Quote
    11/08/2011 09:58 PMPosted by Burger
    Don't forget, all the coolest real life gear has roots in fiction.

And all fiction has roots in reality :D
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]