StarCraft® II

Need help to find a new series!

So I'm a fantasy reader and I have read many and many different series. Wheel of time (still ongoing), The sword of truth, percy jackson when i was a kid, Locke Lamore (ongoing), etc, etc. But recently I havnt been able to find any series/books that keep me interested. Tell me all of your guys' favorite series/books so I can keep up my fantasy reading! I really want to find some good series.
Reply Quote
I've recently been reading a lot of Brandon Sanderson's books since he is finishing the Wheel of Time. Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn trilogy.
Reply Quote
You could try out some of the novels/series produced by the Black Library focus in the Warhammer Fantasy/WH40K universe. Although I'm more keen into the grimdark future of humanity I had some genuine reads from Heldenhammer by Graham McNeill (also a StarCraft author, now NYT fellow), and a Blackheart novel by Nathan Long. There the acclaimed Gotrek & Felix "slayer series" about 12 books in so far on a journey of various hunts for the dwarf's sought out ultimate death.

If one doesn't keep your interest there dozens of others left from years back and BL releases 3-5 new novels monthy.

But there always Warcraft, the lovable clown-up version of WHF...

And plus there the great shared universe of Dragonlance.
Reply Quote
The Chronicles of the Black Company. 11 book series that is my favorite that I've read. Read a couple reviews though and see if it sounds like something you'd like, Glenn Cook has a different writing style then most.
Reply Quote
A Song of Ice and Fire Series if you like WoT you'll like that too. Jordan and Martin erven had a friendly rivaly going as so many people liked both series. In the new print editions of the books Jordon writes a testimonial to how good they are. You will not be disapointed, if you want a taste of the series I suggest watching Game of Thrones from HBO its vary faithful to the books so far.
Reply Quote
You absolutely need to read "The View from the Mirror" by Ian Irvine. It's brilliantly original, but it still stays true to everything that makes fantasy great. It's action-packed, has amazing characters, and features an incredibly detailed universe. Irvine may not be well known, but he's one of the best writers I've ever encountered--maybe one of the greatest writers of our time, IMO. Seriously, give it a try. You'll love it.

The Shannara series might be another option. It's a little more generic and a little hit and miss at times, but if you're a fan of traditional high fantasy, it's a solid read. Start with "The Sword of Shannara" or "The Genesis of Shannara: Armageddon's Children." The former is the first book of the series, but the latter is a prequel and doesn't really require any prior knowledge of the universe.

If you want something more intellectual, I'd recommend "The Obsidian Chronicles" by Lawrence Watt-Evens. It's a little dry, but a very fascinating morality play if you're into that kind of thing.

Then of course there would be the obvious ones like Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter, but if you're a fantasy fan, you've probably already read those.

And hey, why not check out the Starcraft books? "Liberty's Crusade" and "The Dark Templar Saga" are amazing.

Yeah, I read too much.

05/25/2011 10:44 PMPosted by ParaDoc
The Chronicles of the Black Company. 11 book series that is my favorite that I've read. Read a couple reviews though and see if it sounds like something you'd like, Glenn Cook has a different writing style then most.

That's a good series, but unless you're up to something both very bizarre and very dark, I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It's funny and entertaining and utterly unique, but it's not for everyone.
Edited by Centauri on 5/30/2011 6:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The Inheritance (Eragon) series
Reply Quote
Above anything else, read The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It's the best fantasy novel I've read in about 15 years. It's intended to be a trilogy, with book 3 coming out in March 2013. The second book - The Wise Man's Fear, is also excellent.

While I'm waiting for book 3, I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, and it's shaping up to be pretty awesome.
Reply Quote
01/19/2012 08:16 AMPosted by MrFrench
While I'm waiting for book 3, I'm currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, and it's shaping up to be pretty awesome.

I agree, I found Brandon from the Wheel of Time I've also met him several times now there is no better person or community based author out there.
Reply Quote
Well, of course there is the classic Lord of the Rings, and the Hobbit.

though might I suggest looking at tvtropes?

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HighFantasy

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LowFantasy

Reply Quote
i enjoyed Ted Dekker's Circle Cycle and the Paradise Novels those series both go hand-in-hand being based off the same idea/plot just in 2 different times i guess
Reply Quote
I like the Alchemyst series by Michael Scott (Last book coming out sometime soon)
And for some just good books in Fantasy and Sci-Fi genres I think Orson Scott Card is amazing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]