StarCraft® II

Just what was Findlay's plan anyways?

THIS POST CONTAINS CAMPAIGN STORY LINE SPOILERS! IF YOU DIDN'T SEE THIS COMING... YOU PROBABLY CAN'T READ WHAT I'M TYPING ANYWAYS.

I want to start with a simple statement. I kinda liked the story in the campaign. Sure, cliche, unimagined, but it had a few interesting branching points, the characters had distinct enough personalities, it was a coherent storyline...

But one thing's been nagging at me. What the HELL was Findlay planning on doing?

Go with me on this. Lets assume he's either somehow gotten reports to Minsk the entire time, or this whole thing was a set up by him to take Karrigen down. Ok, fine. And he's doing it because if he doesn't, Minsk kills him via a kill switch. Fair enough... I could question how he does that when Findlay would be in an unknown location in deep space, but maybe the ship is just full of spies... who just suck at stopping you from actually bringing down the Emperor.

Those plot holes aside... What was he going to do on Char? Shoot Jimmy in front of the other marines there in the cave? Everyone seemed pretty loyal to him, even the borrowed troops, though I can't imagine why he'd not take his own to find his lady love... Did Findlay just think he could then take all of them? Or was he figuring Raynor wouldn't drop him to save her? If he was being stupid because he wanted to die so as not to have to kill his friend (A bit of a stretch since the character wasn't that noble), why not just tell him what's happening and try to get help?

In fact, when Raynor finds out about the kill switch in the armor, which he does in the campaign, why doesn't he try, I don't know, to get him out of the armor? Even if he's worried Minsk is listening in through some hidden device on it so he can't discuss it (Which would open up SO many plot holes), why not just knock his ass out and then have your, you know, FULLY DEVELOPED SCIENCE AND MANUFACTURING DEPARTMENTS WITH EXPERT CREWMEN IN THEM try to get him out.

He's friends with Protoss, have them TELEPORT him out of the damned armor.

This just really bugs me, because its so incredibly stupid. If this was the Emperors plan all along, it makes no sense. "First, I will let Raynor do something that permanently removes the Queen of Blades as a threat, then, I will have a random assassin kill her, thus saving the human race! Also I will not use this assassin at any point to stop Raynor from basically destroying my Empire!"

I can... somewhat... understand not taking Raynor out if he needed him to take down Kerrigan, this is assuming he knew his sons plan from the start, and believed it would work. But why not shoot Raynor at that point? Or both? If he arranged for the troops to be there, why even have the assassin in the cave, and not in say, a tank a few hundred meters away. I'm pretty sure a cut scene tank blast would have killed everyone in the cave.

And why is Findlay not trying to get out of this? Does he hate Raynor that much for just, not getting arrested?
Reply Quote
Just add it to the list of things that were done badly/dont make sense.
Argh I hate with they did with sc2's story.

They should have just made findlay a double agent or something. we already know he will do anything for money/artifacts, so why not just have mengsk pay him or promise him a high position in his ranks if he gets rid of kerrigan? That way you wouldnt have this problem and stupid kill switch idea.
Everybody has a price.
Reply Quote
by a large margarin

What a delicious freudian slip!
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 5/29/2011 1:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OP has a point, sending just Tychus after Kerrigan and not deploying a killing squad in Valerian's army at the last hour to increase the chance of success is not like what Arcturus would do.

and also Tychus not attempting to call for help to get out of that suit is strange.
Reply Quote
Well I saw the Tychus thing as a way for Mengsk to put a mole right next to Jim. Originally his plan wasn't to kill the queen of blades but to use his past with Raynor to get close and sabotage things later. Only the QoB thing came up and Mengsk took the chance to get rid of her. I mean if Mengsk wanted Raynor dead he would just send in Nova to do it. I think Tosh and Raynor had a conversation about this with him saying that Mengsk needed to kill Raynor's rep instead of making him a martyr.
Edit: As for what his plan was I'm guessing he was hoping to take her out before Raynor could do something about it. Sure he would be pissed but I don't think he thought he would kill him afterwards kinda like an old saying I learned in the military "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission".
Edited by RTL on 5/30/2011 8:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
tl;dr

During one of the conversations with Tosh in the Cantina, he talks about Tychus and how he's "Struggling with something he doesn't want to do."

And before Raynor shoots him, he says "I made a deal with the Devil Jimmy".

So in all likelihood, he was just forced into bad situation and by the end, it was either him or Kerrigan. People are reading too much into this.
Reply Quote
tl;dr

During one of the conversations with Tosh in the Cantina, he talks about Tychus and how he's "Struggling with something he doesn't want to do."

And before Raynor shoots him, he says "I made a deal with the Devil Jimmy".

So in all likelihood, he was just forced into bad situation and by the end, it was either him or Kerrigan. People are reading too much into this.

Emphasis on the bolded.

And remember folks, when you make a deal with the devil, you lose.

~And if you lose, the devil gets your soul!~

*goes off playing his golden fiddle and bow*

Edit:
And even if he did succeed, you think Jim would just let that lie? And even if he did get away, the Dark Voice would have whacked him easy.
Edited by Iliya on 5/30/2011 3:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Something I'm wondering...

Couldn't Tosh have read Tychus's mind and told Raynor? You know, the dude's a telepath and all?
Reply Quote
Once Tychus realized it was a death sentence either way (he must have known that killing Kerrigan would wind up getting him killed) and that he was having second thoughts about it (he decided to have a nice chat before pulling the trigger) he should have tried to get some help. What's the point of trying to follow through with something that you don't want to do when you know you'll die either way?

Something I'm wondering...

Couldn't Tosh have read Tychus's mind and told Raynor? You know, the dude's a telepath and all?

Yea this is another rather odd thing.
Reply Quote
Tychus was the best. End story.
He shouldve died fighting the swarm in the Thor or not at all.
Hopefully he can be cloned and memories restored until he is stuck in the suit.
Reply Quote
Thats true but what if Mengsk didnt care for tychus at all? i mean hes just another prisoner. Mengsks got a bucnh of those and therfore a bunch of troops. One man dead wouldnt matter as long as kerrigan died as well

Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]