StarCraft® II

Insider says HotS is 1.5-2 years away

Based on experience playing early builds of Wings of Liberty, HotS should be released in 1.5 to 2 years. The expansion appears to presently be at the same development stage WoL was 3 years prior to release. A shorter timeframe is expected for HotS because, unlike its predecessor, the game isn’t being built from the ground up.

Could this be true? That's a long wait... But considering Blizz hasn't even announced when the beta would start, I guess it's not that hard to believe...

Source:

http://www.gamefront.com/starcraft-2-heart-of-the-swarm-insider-insights-on-release-dates-new-units-mmo/
Reply Quote
Speculation is speculation.

Our guess is as good as theirs...and vise verse.
Reply Quote
SC1 Release: 31 March 1998
BW Release: 30 November 1999

War3 Release: 3 July 2002
War3 TFT Release: 1 July 2003

SC2 Release: 27 July 2010
HotS: ????

Dates from wikipedia, shout out any errors I made.

Ok, this is an attempt to look at the trends, so it is also speculation, but not as much a "wild guess" as some other estimates.

SC1 to BW was about 1.5 years and War3 to TFT 1 year. 1.5 years would be about this holiday season, but I doubt it-they would've given us teasers and such way, way sooner. Consider the extra detail going into the physics and such, maybe Q2 2012? I dunno. That's my hunch at the time being.
Reply Quote

Ok, this is an attempt to look at the trends, so it is also speculation, but not as much a "wild guess" as some other estimates.

SC1 to BW was about 1.5 years and War3 to TFT 1 year. 1.5 years would be about this holiday season, but I doubt it-they would've given us teasers and such way, way sooner. Consider the extra detail going into the physics and such, maybe Q2 2012? I dunno. That's my hunch at the time being.

Wikipedia made a mistake. BW was released in 98 just months after SC. I think they got the month and day right though.
Reply Quote
the last thing i've heard about the subject "if not 1 this year, then 2 next year" (referring to diablo 3 and HotS)
Reply Quote
there were probably a lot of changes to the engine and coding as well for wol. 1.5-2 years is not realistic as now they have all the foundation laid out to make new units/abilities/maps easily. don't worry.
Reply Quote
Their source also claims there will be a Starcraft MMO, which is about as likely to happen as a black hole suddenly consuming the earth tomorrow.
Reply Quote
^ You never know son, for all we know the sun could suddenly explode if some %@#*ed up particles entered it for some %@#*ed up reason. Exotic Particles are called that for a reason.
Reply Quote
they will most likely work on diablo 3 first cuz sc2 came out, i dont know if WoW is over, but they havent opened a diablo game in a while so they are probably trying to please those fans next
Reply Quote
I'm going to guess sometime in the summer of 2012.

Edit: Fall 2012 wouldn't surprise me. I would be surprised if it went later, though, it IS Blizzard we're talking about. I would be shocked if it were earlier, but, pleasantly so.
Edited by Chamenas on 6/19/2011 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/07/2011 05:45 PMPosted by Daggoth
there "source" also claims blizz is making a SC2 MMO wich is compelte *@*! no way its coming out, why would they make 3 MMOs? (WoW, "titan" and the SC2 one)

im not sure SC2 pheonix is going to be an mmo.

Also, yeah i think its going to be this winter.
Reply Quote

A simple linear progression places HOTS to this winter. However I'm doubting it will come out this winter. I enjoy Blizzard games but they simply take too long. Has anyone ever heard of diminishing returns?

All they have to do for an expansion is....

Add in New Units/Upgrades/Buildings
Balance test the new additions.
Create campaign scenarios.
Add in voice overs for campaign.
Create Cutscenes.
Create Campaign plot (probably already done).

The bulk of any game is the engine and guess what, that's done. Ask any game developer (who makes their own engine) and they will tell you that the engine is between 70 - 90% of the work.

Regardless, it will be fun when it comes out.
Reply Quote
Don't forget they're also building new terrain types (SNOW!! @*@* YEAH!!) Which still takes time.

A game might take longer to make, but a rushed game is crappy forever.

-(paraphrased) Shigeru Myamoto.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]