StarCraft® II

SC story verry close to Halo?

(Please excuse any spelling mistakes I didnt have time to make this on word)

I just noticed some of the simalarities between two of my faveorite games SC2 and Halo. This odviously does not mean game play consitering Halo is an FPS (and they have a really bad RTS) and SC is ONLY RTS. They both are great games and when I took a look at the story as I usually do I saw the insane simalarities between them.

Think what are the races in both games?
SC2: Terran (hickish humans), Zerg (evil mutation things), toss (techy space guys), and (other guys that are usually mercinaries)
Halo:UNSC (humans [lil bit o' hick in some of um]), Flood (evil mutation things), for-runners (techy space guys), and Covanent (Before Master Chief and Arbitor took them down they were religious freaks who thaught they had to kill the human race because the prophit of truth said so)

Now other then the covy and merc dont those three sound extremely similar? Im fairly sure that the SC1 releace date was March 31 1998, and halo combat evolved releace date was November 15, 2001... Blizz you inspired the single best FPS game for XBox ever... Gratz!!!
Reply Quote
Epic win
Reply Quote
Dont u have some of the roles mixed up?

It seems to me a more logical analogy would be

Terrans=>Humans
Zerg=>Flood
Protoss=>Covenant
Xel'Naga=>Forerunners

I personaly much prefer the SC races, because the terrans have real and terrible flaws that we can see in actual humans today, and those flaws play big parts in the story and make the characters very interesting. The humans in the UNSC show much less depth than the ones in SC imo.
Also, the Zerg are much more terrifying than the flood, because they are capable of warp space travel and can therefore invade the entire universe unhindered; the Flood, however, can only infest other race's ships to travel in space, so all you have to do is stop feeding them ships.
As for the Protoss, they are superior to the Covenant because they are governed by a much better logic. Whereas the Covenant have crazy goals like firing the Halo weapon and eradicating all human life for supposedly religious reasons, the Protoss are posed, calculative, honor-bound and righteous; their greatest flaw is their fanaticism and zealotry, which the heroes overcome during the SC1 campaign (Zeratul, Tassadar, Artanis, Fenix and of course the player, Executor).

Finally, the Forerunners and the Xel'Naga are so mysterious it would be difficult to compare them. They are indeed similar, with the greatest difference I think being that the Forerunners left robotic remnants of their civilisation behind (Sentinels and the little floating dude whose name I can't remember), whereas the Xel'Naga are the creators of two powerful and very different races.
Reply Quote
You've explained the races, now where is the story similarity, OP?
Reply Quote
Ever thought who inspired Blizzard? because if i remember correctly theres a game that came back in early 2000's but before that was a tabletop board game in at least the 1983 called Warhammer, Which later known as Warhammer 40000K (Dawn of War). Which whatever way you see it can be similar to all big time space future heavy space marine type games.

*I also put in Mass Effect similarities to tell you games are still getting inspired.*

Races\Units:

(Humans)
(Warhammer 40k, Starcraft, Halo, Mass effect)
Imperial Guard -> Dominion -> UNSC -> Alliance
Space Marine -> Ghost/Spectres -> Spartan -> Biotic

(Ugly Massive Rushers)
Orc's -> Zerg -> Flood -> Geth

(Technological Advance Space Empire Aliens)
Eldar -> Protoss -> Covenant -> Collectors

And another thing is all future human races all have in common is they all still use projectile firearms.
Reply Quote

(Ugly Massive Rushers)
Tyranids -> Zerg -> Flood -> Geth

Fix'd.
Reply Quote
actually it's more like
(Humans)
(40k, SC, Halo) (I can't verify Mass Effect as i don't play it)
Imperial Guard, Space marines, Sisters of battle -> Terrans -> UNSC

(Ugly Planet eating things)
Tyranid -> Zerg -> Eating

(Advanced Tech Aliens)
Eldar, Tau -> Protoss -> Covenant

Actually Imperial Guard mostly use Las-based weapons but they still use projectile firearms yes
Reply Quote
Don't you have it mixed up?

I mean, Starcraft DID come before Halo by what... 5+ years?
Reply Quote
How about the movie alien, predator, and alien vs predator?

The humans are the humans,
the aliens are the zerg,
and the predators are the protoss.
Reply Quote
The race phenomenon is the same in SO many science fiction stories. There are always the humans, who are usually more advanced than we are now, but still using ballistic weapons; there's always some sort of insect-like alien race that devours everything; and then there is always some advanced alien civilization that has all the gadgets that should destroy everyone.

The aliens always symbolize the same thing too - the two sides (for lack of a better word) of human nature. There is the veral and primitive part of human nature that makes us competitors and survivors, and then there is the rational and intelligent side of us that sets us apart from the rest of the animals on the planet. The humans always win because they have both attributes, whereas the aliens tend to have only one of these traits. It's a story of symbiosis (probably abused that word here, but I don't care).

I will GUARANTEE you that 100 years from now, the same stuff will be going on. It's just good storytelling.
Edited by Gio on 6/12/2011 5:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Awesome.

Let it be known that the protoss have glassed planets too
Reply Quote
The race phenomenon is the same in SO many science fiction stories. There are always the humans, who are usually more advanced than we are now, but still using ballistic weapons; there's always some sort of insect-like alien race that devours everything; and then there is always some advanced alien civilization that has all the gadgets that should destroy everyone.

The aliens always symbolize the same thing too - the two sides (for lack of a better word) of human nature. There is the veral and primitive part of human nature that makes us competitors and survivors, and then there is the rational and intelligent side of us that sets us apart from the rest of the animals on the planet. The humans always win because they have both attributes, whereas the aliens tend to have only one of these traits. It's a story of symbiosis (probably abused that word here, but I don't care).

I will GUARANTEE you that 100 years from now, the same stuff will be going on. It's just good storytelling.

Yeah that's about right.
Reply Quote
SC came first, but warhammer came before that, and then star wars, and then star trek....

humans vs giant space bugs vs hi-tech aliens (telepathy for sure)

what i like is the specifics of starcraft.

the terrans that u play as, before BW, were ALL criminals (well, their descendants) that were SHOT INTO DEEP SPACE when the earth got overpopulated. the protoss were the FIRST experiment by tha "ancients" (generic any sci-fi story, STARGATE!), but the catch is they were "granted purity of form". they failed, after they were discovered by they protoss, and fled.

then they made the zerg... "purity of FUNCTION" like wut? they used this goofy little larva (i think its the same larva) and made that little weak thing be able to super adapt to its condition. the xel'naga were actually overrun. the overmind was like, able to hide its mind or strength or sumthin. the zerg learned EVERYTHING. practically...

warhammer however has THE MOST EPIC setting, original story, creatures, characters. hell warhammer was where green-skinned orKs came from.

but they could never make a computer game to beat starcraft. unless it was some kind of MMORTS. but blizz has come close to that w/ this bnet setup. DOW2 is only the second best, but if there were no starcraft, it would undoubtedly be the best.

but yea actually it's the story of mankind... always... the bible, moses, koran, jason and the argonauts (not just a great movie), the whole krishna/shiva thing, and yes, star wars and the matrix and terminator and probly alien movies as well (ripley's story). alien/predator obvious. warhammer still the BEST story, SC best game, but they both trail each other closely, where they are not top...
Edited by Fenix on 6/13/2011 12:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/13/2011 12:33 PMPosted by Fenix
warhammer still the BEST story, SC best game, but they both trail each other closely, where they are not top...

Yep I've played all the Dawn of war games(cept for DOW2 and it's expantion) and the actual tabletop game I even have 2 of it's books about the space marines and I've never KNOWN another game that's that indepth and they are almost better than starcraft but SC2...freaking owns still
Edited by Galvian on 6/13/2011 5:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
halo sucks, and it has alot of content based on alien and predator movies. halo was made after sc so dont blame blizzard, blame the halo guys
Reply Quote
I think another big inspiration for Starcraft is the book Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein. Simply reading the first chapter, I could already see the similarities. The Mobile Infantry used power suits (akin to SC Marines) and they even had marauder suits. The Bugs, like the zerg, were insectoid creatures waging war on mankind (the movie really doesn't do them justice. In the book, they are depicted as super intelligent hive-mind insects wielding firearms, while the movie portrays rabid insects biting people). I suppose the dead giveaway was the fact that they even called themselves the Terran Federation (which, as one can see from the movies, had a distint similarity to the UED).
Reply Quote
06/14/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Discux
they even called themselves the Terran Federation

!!! They did?????
Reply Quote
By this logic you could compare every game with starcraft.
Reply Quote
06/14/2011 05:30 PMPosted by Galvian
they even called themselves the Terran Federation

!!! They did?????

The word ''Terran'' means a creature of the earth or planet Earth in this case. Terran federation means the federation of the earth blah blah blah and seeing how both game / movies have a human fraction i wouldnt be surprised if they were the Terran .......... if it took place in deep space with other species
Reply Quote
I agree with micro. Terra is an alternate name used for Earth, so therefroe, we are both "Earthlings" and "Terrans" techinically. So essentially, every game that involves humans (which is nearly every contemporary game) technically has a "Terran" faction. So yes, in agreement with Vlaed, almost every game is comparable to Starcraft through the logic that all humans are Terrans and that almost all games have humans.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]