StarCraft® II

Building a PC for ULTRA sc 2? (+ recording)?

I'm an ex call of duty commentator, and I've been playing sc a lot more, and have been wanting to get into the casting scene a bit.

I'm wondering what type of specs you'd need to run sc2 on ultra, while being able to record with fraps at a constant 26-30 FPS.

I'm not too big of a computer guy, so if anyone could help me out (like what's the most specific things to get to maintain quality + frames) that'd be amazing help! :D

Reply Quote
what resolution do you run at? if its 1920x1080 youll probably want a gtx560 or better
Reply Quote
I think I'd wanna run it at the highest quality I could, is that the graphics card? is that usually the most important part?

I'm such a computer nib hahaha.
Reply Quote
I'm an ex call of duty commentator, and I've been playing sc a lot more, and have been wanting to get into the casting scene a bit.

I'm wondering what type of specs you'd need to run sc2 on ultra, while being able to record with fraps at a constant 26-30 FPS.

I'm not too big of a computer guy, so if anyone could help me out (like what's the most specific things to get to maintain quality + frames) that'd be amazing help! :D

I'm currently running an XFX 6870 BE (Radeon HD 6870 Factory Overclocked). That things humms along on ultra with 80+ frames, and my processor sucks. They're available for about $130 on rebate nowadays.
Edited by bedtime on 5/29/2011 12:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Look to spend around 5-800 dollars depending on if you need a monitor, case, and other peripherals.

I would use Newegg. They are good for computer parts, and have excellent customer service.

I would start with the CPU. I would recommend Intel ATM. An i7 would ideal, but just get a CPU that is a workhorse. Don't skimp on the CPU. Look to spend 2-300 dollars.

After you find the CPU, look for a compatible motherboard. You can use the intel site or AMD if you chose that. The Motherboard is important as well, and you want a high quality one for high performance. Also the MOBO can handle a bunch of different set ups, for example SLI. Look to spend 1-200 dollars here.

Next, I would look at RAM. I would go for 4-8 GIGS now-a-days. New MOBO's should be able to handle this, as well as having windows 7 of course. The MOBO will tell you what kind of RAM it handles. Be sure to get compatible parts. You can spend around 1-150 here.

Video Card. Depends on how bad ass you want the graphics to be. The good thing is that you don't need to buy the best available. I have a gtx 260 that runs SC2 on ultra. You can buy a 1-150 dollar card that will run it on ultra, opposed to the 2-300 cards. The newer cards will allow better performance in other games though. Get 1 GIG at least of video memory for ultra, if you are cheap 512 will work but performance will vary. Spend around 150. Could go as low as 100.

Basically, don't skimp on CPU, MOBO, RAM, and VIDEO. Those 4 will give you the performance.

PSU will be around 5-800 watts I would say for newer parts. You can skimp here, but if you get cheap PSU's they tend to break kind of fast. Wuality parts will last longer and give better performance.

Hard drive size is for you to chose, as well as the disk drive.

GL!

ps dont overlook cooling. Cooling will keep performance up and make sure you parts don't degrade due to overheating. CPU cooler needs to be decent. The case needs to have cooling fans, or even a water cooling setup if you so chose.

All I can say is that you need to get compatible parts. It is annoying to order thigns and find out you got the wrong PSU that doesn't have the right connectors. Do the research and it will save you time and money in the end.

GLGLGLGLGL HF
Edited by justBODIES on 5/29/2011 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
an i7 is a waste of processor. sc2 only takes about 2.5-3 cores. i have a phenom 2 955 and gtx460 under linux and can run it almost on ultra at 1920x1080. as for ram get at lest 4 gigs. if you are going for budge get a phenom2 955 with a ati 6870 and 4 gigs of ram and a 120mm fan hfs. also dont get an off brand psu its just asking for trouble
Reply Quote
if you are going to game, and i5 should be enough
Reply Quote

First, whats your budget?
Second, are you wanting a prebuilt system or thinking of building one yourself?

Budget is really important as it affects what parts you can afford for a full build or to order.

Building your own is the best way to go (price/performance), but if your not inclined to do so there are a variety of prebuilt systems out there (i.e. Dell, HP, Sony, etc.)

You got a burst of info here but no one asked what your budget and system preferance was. If your just hoping for random specs, I'd say: Intel i5-2400 or higher, 4 gigs ram, AMD 6850 for higher or nVidia x60 or higher, and a 7200 rpm or SSD (solid state drive) hard drive.

There are some really good tech sites that could help with choosing all the parts you would need. Here is my favorite: http://www.tomshardware.com/
Edited by Morg on 5/29/2011 11:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]