StarCraft® II

A perfect explanation of SC2 story

we dont really need to resolve whether slaves had free will or not.

We just have to know what interpretation the overmind had of it, or maybe the interpretation tassadar had of it.

We can choose an interpretation that doesnt fit with the story, or one that does. Which one should we choose?
Reply Quote
nobody speaks of "free action" everyone always talks in terms of free will, its even mentioned int he definition of slave. And asking around, even with andrew's way i still had people tell me slaves had no free will.

People tend not to speak of "free action" becasue typically we say "freedom" to mean "free action," unfortunately "freedom" can also carry political implications so it is not always used or free action is used to explicitly contrast with free will.

The fact that, when asking a different set of questions, people switched their opinions should be revealing to you. I would imagine everyone would say slaves lacked freedom (in both the political and philosophical senses!) The problem is that you seem to be inclined to believe that free action = free will (which = freedom) that all three terms mean the same thing, which means you make no distinction between the mental ability to choose and the physical ability to carry out a choice, and I think if you asked people "is the ability to mentally make a choice AND the physical ability to actually carry out the choice different?" I would imagine most would say yes. That mental/physical distinction is what some are trying to make: our mental ability to choose is not the same as our physical ability to execute the choice. Additionally, the mental abilities are prior to the physical. So even if I was in a wheelchair (but my brain was normal) I could mentally choose to move my legs, even if I could not physically carry that action out (my free will would be open, but my free action/freedom would be restricted). Your argument seems to be that a person in a wheelchair does not have freewill because they physically cannot move their legs.
Edited by Andrew on 6/26/2011 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
OP's ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to his newsletter.
Reply Quote
06/26/2011 05:44 PMPosted by Andrew
Your argument seems to be that a person in a wheelchair does not have freewill because they physically cannot move their legs.

the argument is when you are forced or pressured, your free will is being taken away. Also refer to post #441 =)

06/26/2011 05:44 PMPosted by Andrew
The problem is that you seem to be inclined to believe that free action = free will (which = freedom) that all three terms mean the same thing

there are similarities, and in some situations may be synonyms.
Edited by Brathearon on 6/26/2011 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@ OP I'm glad this thread is still going strong draw attention to how bad the plot is. While the guy in the videos is somewhat irritating and expresses everything very crassly, he certainly does "hit the nail on the head".

I for one, was pissed when I finished the WoL campaign. I couldn't believe how they butcher the characters (and didn't even keep the original voice actors, who did in fact offer to continue their role for SC2), and transform our darkly beautiful dystopian sci-fi universe into some space-cowboy save-the-princess fantasy with visions and prophecies and "everyone unite vs random bad guys!"
Edited by Pelorn on 6/26/2011 11:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]