A perfect explanation of SC2 story

06/06/2011 05:14 PMPosted by Brathearon
fair enough with the bar thing, but its probably one of raynor's supporters or something. Could be owned by someone currently on board the hyperion, or an abandoned bar anyway.

Huh... Like it says, it belongs to some guy named Joeyray:

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Joeyray_%28Wings_of_Liberty%29

While I doubt he remained on Mar Sara with all the Zerg roaming around, he's never seen in the flesh aboard the Hyperion. I initially assumed he was the cantina's barman, but according to the wiki, this one's name is actually Cooper.

Raynor doesnt assume he will be the one killing her, zeratul said her fate will be in your hands, and it was.

Raynor does make that assumption after seeing the Overmind's vision:

RAYNOR
In this timeline she was dead. Killed by...us. That's what Zeratul's been trying to tell us all along. She has to live or we're all doomed.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 6/6/2011 5:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
umm... forgive me if this sounds naive... But I wouldn't mind if they made HotS very similar to broodwar. Why? Because I haven't played broodwar. So gameplay wise, it'd all be new and exciting to me. And it isn't neccisarily the very old gamers they are trying to hook with this expansion...

Second, why do you care if voice actors are changed? Sure it sounds weird at first but you get used to it.

Third, maybe it's just the fact I haven't played starcraft one or broodwar, but while the new starcraft 2 plot with one big bad is done quite a lot, I really don't care. To me it's just a fun story that can only lead to one logical conclusion: Once they vanquish the big bad, they all return to being enemies, but all at a even higher power to make the battles even more awesome.

Fourth... I love a good xanatos gambit, so the overmind's plan just sounds cool to me.

So all these points combine to reach... Just because you don't like it, that doesn't mean I can't. Nor does it mean blizzard will care. At the end of the day they will still get our money, because it's a f**kin' game, not a history textbook.
Reply Quote
Raynor does make that assumption after seeing the Overmind's vision:

RAYNOR
In this timeline she was dead. Killed by...us. That's what Zeratul's been trying to tell us all along. She has to live or we're all doomed.

Zeratul himself did say that kerrigan's fate will be in your hands.

i dont have the exact quote with me ill look for it.
Edited by Brathearon on 6/6/2011 5:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Look, there is really no point arguing about this.

Yes, I remember what Zeratul said; it's just that, while debriefing Matt about what he saw through the Ihan crystal, Raynor makes the assumption that they ("us") would have ended up killing Kerrigan.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 6/6/2011 5:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How is that an assumption? He is restating what zeratul told him.
Reply Quote
Raynor doesn't know how Kerrigan died in the apocalyptic timeline. He just took a wild guess and assumed he and the Raiders would be the ones responsible.
Reply Quote
In this timeline she was dead. Killed by...us.

Clarifying that kerrigan was dead in the timeline, from what zeratul said, its not an assumption. Its like if someone said its gonna rain tomorrow and you tell someone else, thats not an assumption.

That's what Zeratul's been trying to tell us all along. She has to live or we're all doomed.

this statement stands alone.
Reply Quote
Nevermind. I see what you mean now.

I initially interpreted the line You will hold her fate in your hands as "Watch over her" instead of "You will have an opportunity to kill her soon; do not take it".

Still, Zeratul's statement is ambiguous enough to make both our interpretations valid.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 6/6/2011 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
well, he had a choice between trusting kerrigan again (which cost him pheonix the last time) or kill tichus.
Reply Quote
06/06/2011 03:51 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf
Right. There's a green-skinned, evil-looking Infested Kerrigan on the freaking game box, there is some creepy black goo oozing from her mouth, and she's giving the player a death stare, SHODAN style

Thats simply what she looks like...but I can see where you're coming from.

06/06/2011 05:31 PMPosted by Brathearon
Now, i HIGHLY doubt that all of you knew that tichus's mission was to kill kerrigan and leave raynor alone till the end.

But hey, that alone certainly doesn't give away any major plot twist. However, seeing Tychus striking an unknown deal with Arcturus Mengsk, now that totally ruined the twist, and the plot at the same time!

This is a problem in itself. Blizzard themselves don't really seem to know what the deal was considering last blizzcons story panel. According to one of their writers the deal wasn't to kill Kerrigan; it was simply to be a mole and later on the opportunity to kill Kerrigan presented itself. This just brings up other questions and holes, such as:

Was there always a connection between Tychus and Mengsk? If so then why wasn't it detected by Raynors crew? If not then why wouldn't Tychus try to get help?

When did Tychus get the order? He acts like he knew those were his orders earlier, as people have often cited his reluctance to continue to push the Zerg as character develoment in that he is getting regret about what he must do.
Reply Quote
06/06/2011 06:40 PMPosted by LovelyMines
According to one of their writers the deal wasn't to kill Kerrigan; it was simply to be a mole and later on the opportunity to kill Kerrigan presented itself. This just brings up other questions and holes, such as:

It could have been an added twist to make sure you dont know the story.

How is this a big problem though? I mean people really are getting upset about something said outside the game, that gives little consequence to the game itself.

Its the equivalent of complaining that raynor doesnt use a green suit in SC2.
Reply Quote
It could be interpreted either way i guess, but im sure raynor would have taken the shot, remember he lost phoenix last time he thought kerrigan was free from the zerg.

But of course, the rest of the protoss might not be so willing, let alone the terran, so yeah there will be more danger.
Reply Quote
06/06/2011 06:47 PMPosted by Brathearon
It could have been an added twist to make sure you dont know the story

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What is the added twist?

How is this a big problem though? I mean people really are getting upset about something said outside the game, that gives little consequence to the game itself.

The problem is that to enjoy the game you essentially have to shut off your brain, because if you think about it, Tychus' deal with Mengsk just doesn't make much sense.. If the original mission was indeed to kill Kerrigan, then why in the world would Mengsk have any reason to believe that Tychus would be able to get close to Kerrigan by being close to Raynor? (remember that they have had no word from Kerrigan or the Zerg for 4 years) If the mission was simply to be a mole then nothing about Media Blitz makes sense:

1) If he has a connection to Tychus and is monitoring him, then why didn't he know that the Odin was taken?
2) Why would he allow Tychus to go nuts on his capital world and allow Tychus to broadcast something that puts his entire rule in jeopardy?

The remarks made during blizzcon was in response to a question that revealed a problem. One of the writers said that it was a massive plot hole while the other pulled the whole Tychus was just a mole things, which just brings up other problems.

And I don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about regarding your comment regarding Raynor and a green suit????
Edited by LovelyMines on 6/6/2011 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/06/2011 07:03 PMPosted by LovelyMines
And I don't have the faintest clue what you are talking about regarding your comment regarding Raynor and a green suit????

in part 1 raynor was a green marine, not a black one.

If he has a connection to Tychus and is monitoring him

Does he? It looked like a phone type link to me. He can talk when they pick up and stuff. They were communicating a lot more when they were closing in on their goal.

To me the biggest problem is that people are too focused on blizzcon. I didnt go to blizzcon and im fine with the story, a lot better than BW ever did.

The problem is that to enjoy the game you essentially have to shut off your brain

Honestly, i feel that way about BW.
Reply Quote

10 minutes ago

Because it's funny to pretend that WoL is even on par with BW.
Reply Quote

10 minutes ago

Because it's funny to pretend that WoL is even on par with BW.

yeah, WoL is too much better its an insult to to WoL to compare it to BW. It gives BW too much credit.

EDIT: btw im gonna tear apart the 4th vid in a sec
Edited by Brathearon on 6/6/2011 7:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
To be honest I thought the Zeratul Missions completely ruined WoL.

I finished the campaign having done only the first Zeratul mission. It wasn't too bad, even though the ending was a bit hokey for my tastes (And no cinematic explosion killing all the zerg, only a in-game cutscene version? Way to cheap out...)

But I went back and played the Zeratul missions and... oh my. Ruined all my views of WoL, destroyed my brain and all the logic that went with it. No longer was Raynor trying to save Kerrigan because she means something to him, his motivation is now.. prophecy? The overmind is painted as some sort of good guy? It all makes no sense to me. I can't even enjoy the ending. Kerrigan wasn't spared because he loved her, she was spared due to necessity. It's so mixed and convoluted.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]