StarCraft® II

Mini-Campaign?

From what I'm hearing, the Mini-Campaign for HotS is kinda up in the air, with Blizz not entirely sure how to fit it in in a way that makes sense. Anyone have ideas out there.

I've a couple.

I figure it would be a Terran Campaign. I'm thinking that in order to integrate, it's going to involve someone who is in Kerrigan's power. One of two options come to mind:

A Pawn: Either someone who is infested yet can pass for normal or who is simply psychically dominated (a la Raszagal) is on the inside of the Terran Dominion doing Kerrigan's will to help pave the way to Mengsk and maybe find out what his involvement with the Hybrids is. Warfield is a good candidate, possibly. Nova might work as well.

A Prisoner: Someone who is captured by Kerrigan, she gets into his or her head to find out their adventures. Stukov might be a good candidate.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I had a few ideas, and I've posted them below.
Edited by Maddog on 6/2/2011 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was thinking about this earlier. It makes sense, but it would more likely be TvT or TvP. I mean, Kerrigan won't send her minions to fight her minions. Unless Blizzard makes her as badass as she was in SC:BW.
In any case, I would think they would do that for the Protoss instead, since there's already a Terran campaign and Protoss players need a reason to play the HotS campaign. Or give you a choice to play as T and/or P via mind control.
Edited by topsecret on 5/31/2011 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I was thinking about this earlier. It makes sense, but it would more likely be TvT or TvP to make sense. I mean, Kerrigan won't send her minions to fight her minions. Unless Blizzard makes her as badass as she was in SC:BW.
In any case, I would think they would do that for the Protoss instead, since there's already a Terran campaign and Protoss players need a reason to play the HotS campaign. Or give you a choice to play as T and/or P via mind control.

I agree that it would be TvT or TvP. Zeratul's mini-campaign did not feature him fighting Terrans after all. This would be a chance to see the story outside of Kerrigan's perspective, so it makes sense to have forces other than the Zerg involved.
Reply Quote
I've had some ideas as to potential Terran mini-campaigns. Here are the details:

1. One way or another, Kerrigan captures Stukov. She starts tapping into his memories and relives his adventures after disinfestation. This would consist of rallying any UED survivors he could and trying to figure out what was going on with Duran, and learns about the Hybrids.

2. Kerrigan develops a mind link with Raynor. As such, she can experience his post WoL adventures. These could consist of him trying to figure out more about Mengsk and the Hybrids, trying to maintain the independence of colonies like Bountiful and Haven (this could be a situation where they could have a look at our saved game to decide how our choices continue to affect things), or reuniting with his Ghost son (assuming little Johnny is indeed a live and the whole "shuttle accident" thing was a coverup).

3. Kerrigan takes control over Warfiled's mind, and starts using him as her inside man as an attempt to help cripple the Dominion from within and pave her path to Arcturus. The adventures could consist of helping set up a civil war between Valerian and Arcturus, fining out about Mengsk's involvement with Hybrids, and/or weakening the Dominions defenses.

4. Kerrigan faces down Nova, removes the Ghost conditioning from her, and sets her on a path to free Ghosts from their enslavement to the Dominion, thus helping pave Kerrigan's wayt to Mengsk. Kerrigan keeps tabs on Nova from time to time, and their minds become linked, with Nova becoming a more human aspect to Kerrigan.
Reply Quote

I've had some ideas as to potential Terran mini-campaigns. Here are the details:

1. One way or another, Kerrigan captures Stukov. She starts tapping into his memories and relives his adventures after disinfestation. This would consist of rallying any UED survivors he could and trying to figure out what was going on with Duran, and learns about the Hybrids.

2. Kerrigan develops a mind link with Raynor. As such, she can experience his post WoL adventures. These could consist of him trying to figure out more about Mengsk and the Hybrids, trying to maintain the independence of colonies like Bountiful and Haven (this could be a situation where they could have a look at our saved game to decide how our choices continue to affect things), or reuniting with his Ghost son (assuming little Johnny is indeed a live and the whole "shuttle accident" thing was a coverup).

3. Kerrigan takes control over Warfiled's mind, and starts using him as her inside man as an attempt to help cripple the Dominion from within and pave her path to Arcturus. The adventures could consist of helping set up a civil war between Valerian and Arcturus, fining out about Mengsk's involvement with Hybrids, and/or weakening the Dominions defenses.

4. Kerrigan faces down Nova, removes the Ghost conditioning from her, and sets her on a path to free Ghosts from their enslavement to the Dominion, thus helping pave Kerrigan's wayt to Mengsk. Kerrigan keeps tabs on Nova from time to time, and their minds become linked, with Nova becoming a more human aspect to Kerrigan.

Those all sound like pretty cool possibilities! I'd prefer #2 myself, but then maybe I just find Raynor more interesting then Warfield or this Stukov guy (only got halfway through Brood War). As for Nova, I just can't see her working with Kerrigan for an extended time frame.
Reply Quote
I have an idea, just bring back Duran.

He could show up and apologize for being missing for the last 4 to 5 years, and to make it up lead some Terrans on a few missions (like 4) to help out Kerrigan, But is secretly helping out the Hybrid behind Kerrigan's back.
Reply Quote
I have an idea, just bring back Duran.

He could show up and apologize for being missing for the last 4 to 5 years, and to make it up lead some Terrans on a few missions (like 4) to help out Kerrigan, But is secretly helping out the Hybrid behind Kerrigan's back.

I could see something like that, but I'd rather see her capture Duran and pry the memories out of his skull to relive them, seeing what he may have been doing for the last 4 years (maybe even get a chance to control Hybrids). I don't see why she'd trust him at all. Then again, her memories of her reign are a bit spotty, so she might not remember him very well. Izsha probably would though, and as such I doubt he'd be welcome in any swarm of Kerrigan's.
06/02/2011 04:58 PMPosted by Daggoth
i highly doubt there will be a mini-campaign

What, pray tell, makes you say that?
Reply Quote
Actually... could be great to see that it ain't that stupid reason that the UED won't come back because ''they didn't received transmissions'' or ''they don't wish to go see what happened'' but that Kerrigan infested a survivor from the UED to... maybe... just... return to Earth and tell them of how they failed... like... or... maybe... infested someone to go infest the UED! :D
Reply Quote
06/03/2011 09:50 AMPosted by Neggath
Actually... could be great to see that it ain't that stupid reason that the UED won't come back because ''they didn't received transmissions'' or ''they don't wish to go see what happened'' but that Kerrigan infested a survivor from the UED to... maybe... just... return to Earth and tell them of how they failed... like... or... maybe... infested someone to go infest the UED! :D

Sounds great, although they'e said they aren't ready to go to Earth yet. Still, maybe they should. This would work. Tie it into the HotS campaign by having whatever agent she sent come back to report on what happened.
Edited by Maddog on 6/3/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Protoss Mission:
Bonus Epilogue mission for HOTS

When the game ends, you can have a protoss mission that will act as a segway to tie in Legacy of the Void. You could even tie it to unlocking an achievement like beating the final mission on Brutal.

i like the idea, but i dont think we should HAVE to beat it on brutal, it would be fairer to ppl that cant beat the mission on that difficulty to have it unlocked for getting a certain amount of the hard achievements, or getting all the achievements for one area. otherwise, the ppl that cant beat the mission miss out on a important part of the plot (if there is one of course)
Reply Quote
My ideas:

#Terran Mini campaign.

As Kerrigan is too busy reuniting the whole Swarm, she needs a way to deal with Nova and whatever Mengsk is sending at her. Raynor, while still confused about what Kerrigan truly is, but at the same time knows that she has to live, and get to know her importance against the Hybrid invasion, so he will plan more atacks agaisnt arcturus, while still keeping an eye on Kerrigan.

Hence, we will play as an Ally of Raynor: Gabriel Tosh.

Gabriel Tosh knows as well as James Raynor the prophecy, and probably fears the Hybrid more than Raynor himself. (If you sided with Tosh and talked to him after protoss missions you'd know what I mean, he readed raynor's mind and they talked about it). Also, Tosh is in debt to Raynor, knows Kerrigan importance, and most importantly is a strong enemy of Arcturus, and Nova :).

So Gabriel will be the perfect character for this mini campaign, Raynor would be the nexus between him and kerrigan's point of view.

Just as the Protoss missions did, of course this mission can't be pure action, lots of critical information should be in these missions; this could be threats that even Kerrigan is not aware of, and a much deeper development of Arcturus involvement with the Hybrids.
Edited by Vlaed on 6/3/2011 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
One of the things that was sorely lacking in WoL was any sort of zerg mission. HOTS and LotV should at the very least give each race a mission of their own. This will also give players an opportunity to test out a different race and their new features for the expansion.

Terran Mission:
Prologue to HOTS

The game starts out with Kerrigan still with Raynor. She could be controllable or possibly in some sort of stasis pod. Raynor has to fight his way through the chaotic and uncontrolled swarm all the while Mengsk's forces are trying to kill Kerrigan.

As the missions progresses Kerrigan could begin to unconsciously control a few zerg units here and there. This will lead into her awakening and the full blown zerg missions. It will also act as a lead in for WoL players who may only be familiar with Terran units.

Protoss Mission:

When the game ends, you can have a protoss mission that will act as a segway to tie in Legacy of the Void. You could even tie it to unlocking an achievement like beating the final mission on Brutal.

I like this, since this campaign will be shorter i'd want to get more zerg missions. In case you didn't see in the FAQs

What features can we expect from the single-player campaign of Heart of the Swarm?

Heart of the Swarm’s campaign will include approximately 20 new missions.

Reply Quote
You would think that fitting in a mini-campaign would be the easiest thing in the world when your main character is a telepath. You need one line of dialog to justify it:

"If I focus my thoughts on [Insert name of literally any character] I can see what they're up to."

See Raynor/Mengsk/Warfield/Zeratul doing something that is likely to involve hybrids.

"Well that was interesting. I'll have to check back on them later to see how they are doing."

Done.
Reply Quote
Isn't Stukov dead? Didn't Duran kill him?
Reply Quote
You would think that fitting in a mini-campaign would be the easiest thing in the world when your main character is a telepath. You need one line of dialog to justify it:

"If I focus my thoughts on [Insert name of literally any character] I can see what they're up to."

See Raynor/Mengsk/Warfield/Zeratul doing something that is likely to involve hybrids.

"Well that was interesting. I'll have to check back on them later to see how they are doing."

Done.

True.

06/03/2011 11:31 PMPosted by Taloola
Isn't Stukov dead? Didn't Duran kill him?

The Zerg brought him back not long after the Brood War, and the Protoss and Terrans dis-infested him. It's called Resurrection IV.

My ideas:

#Terran Mini campaign.

As Kerrigan is too busy reuniting the whole Swarm, she needs a way to deal with Nova and whatever Mengsk is sending at her. Raynor, while still confused about what Kerrigan truly is, but at the same time knows that she has to live, and get to know her importance against the Hybrid invasion, so he will plan more atacks agaisnt arcturus, while still keeping an eye on Kerrigan.

Hence, we will play as an Ally of Raynor: Gabriel Tosh.

Gabriel Tosh knows as well as James Raynor the prophecy, and probably fears the Hybrid more than Raynor himself. (If you sided with Tosh and talked to him after protoss missions you'd know what I mean, he readed raynor's mind and they talked about it). Also, Tosh is in debt to Raynor, knows Kerrigan importance, and most importantly is a strong enemy of Arcturus, and Nova :).

So Gabriel will be the perfect character for this mini campaign, Raynor would be the nexus between him and kerrigan's point of view.

Just as the Protoss missions did, of course this mission can't be pure action, lots of critical information should be in these missions; this could be threats that even Kerrigan is not aware of, and a much deeper development of Arcturus involvement with the Hybrids.

This could actually be cool, although it would have to be Gabriel Tosh or Nova. Kindregan said that if they could, they'd want to bring our choices from WoL forward. Your idea seems like the perfect way to do it. Well done.

One of the things that was sorely lacking in WoL was any sort of zerg mission. HOTS and LotV should at the very least give each race a mission of their own. This will also give players an opportunity to test out a different race and their new features for the expansion.

Terran Mission:
Prologue to HOTS

The game starts out with Kerrigan still with Raynor. She could be controllable or possibly in some sort of stasis pod. Raynor has to fight his way through the chaotic and uncontrolled swarm all the while Mengsk's forces are trying to kill Kerrigan.

As the missions progresses Kerrigan could begin to unconsciously control a few zerg units here and there. This will lead into her awakening and the full blown zerg missions. It will also act as a lead in for WoL players who may only be familiar with Terran units.

Protoss Mission:

I like this, since this campaign will be shorter i'd want to get more zerg missions. In case you didn't see in the FAQs

What features can we expect from the single-player campaign of Heart of the Swarm?

Heart of the Swarm’s campaign will include approximately 20 new missions.

That can easily change to 24. At this time they're not sure if they're doing a minicampaign. It's probably only 20 missions they have planned now. If they do decide to do a mini-campaign, the number will probably bump up.
Reply Quote
I want Tosh for Mini-Campaign Missions.
Reply Quote
I JUST WANT THE UED BACK! cry*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMOTrIjVao

Sweet, sweet nostalgia

Also, Stukov needs to stay dead. He's my favorite character, but one of the things that made BW great was that it made you like him so much, then broke your little heart by having to kill him.
Reply Quote
I JUST WANT THE UED BACK! cry*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GMOTrIjVao

Sweet, sweet nostalgia

Also, Stukov needs to stay dead. He's my favorite character, but one of the things that made BW great was that it made you like him so much, then broke your little heart by having to kill him.

They already brought him back.

They could kill him again though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]