StarCraft® II

Physics question to contemplate

Fun fact: There's actually a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny amount of friction that occurs in space.

Saw it on Bill Nye the Science Guy.
Reply Quote
I like friction when I accelerate. (At least, thats what she said).
Reply Quote
Terminal velocity is when the force of friction perfectly balances the force of acceleration on the object, canceling each other out. On Earth, the atmosphere limits a falling persons to about 120 miles per hour. This is the terminal velocity on an accelerating(from gravity) object(human body) due to friction.

In space, even a tiny acceleration has a ridiculously high terminal velocity. On earth, gravity accelerates you at 9.8 meters per second squared. In space, if you accelerated at 9.8 meters per day squared, you would still need to be traveling at a significant percent of the speed of light to hit terminal velocity.

As for actual frictionless acceleration, look to particle accelerators. While they do not create a perfect vacuum, the particles being accelerated are so tiny they do not hit anything during the acceleration and this result is true frictionless acceleration until they are intentionally smashed into something.
Reply Quote
Also, if you look up, "Its a Frappe" (google images), some coffee shop somewhere has a picture of their daily chalkboard. It has a perfectly drawn Admiral Ackbar and it says.

LOLOLOL

that went on facebook
Reply Quote
06/03/2011 01:48 PMPosted by RaiderLD
I'm no scientist but I wonder if the future of travel will have anything to do with manipulating magnetic fields or somethin

More than likely it will be manipulating the fabric of space-time itself (Warp Drive ftw!)
Reply Quote
06/03/2011 01:51 PMPosted by NakedSpider
Saw it on Bill Nye the Science Guy.

the best source of information in the world!
Reply Quote
06/03/2011 01:48 PMPosted by RaiderLD
I'm no scientist but I wonder if the future of travel will have anything to do with manipulating magnetic fields or somethin

Its already done on MonoRails and similar tech.
Reply Quote
Friction is caused by tiny particles exerting a reverse force on a moving body. Remove all those particles, you have no friction.

Unless, however, the very fabric of space can impede your progress. Once we get more intelegent and make Zero-Point Modules, that shouldn't be a problem. ZPMs suck energy out of a vacuum, remember all those tiny virtual particles. Those virtual particles, although weird exert SOME friction. Using a ZPM, we can suck energy out of space itself, preventing the formation of these particles.

Honestly, i think it is impossible to produce a PERFECT frictionless environment, just like we cannot achieve absolute zero, But that does not stop us from trying. You'll be amazed at just how close a group of scientists will get!
Reply Quote
why haven't hyzologist and and ponera commented? its weird because this type of thing is their thing . . . anyway long answer possible, if . . . short answer impossible, but . . . i hope you have found my simpsons reference helpful.
Reply Quote
Friction is caused by tiny particles exerting a reverse force on a moving body. Remove all those particles, you have no friction.

Unless, however, the very fabric of space can impede your progress. Once we get more intelegent and make Zero-Point Modules, that shouldn't be a problem. ZPMs suck energy out of a vacuum, remember all those tiny virtual particles. Those virtual particles, although weird exert SOME friction. Using a ZPM, we can suck energy out of space itself, preventing the formation of these particles.

Honestly, i think it is impossible to produce a PERFECT frictionless environment, just like we cannot achieve absolute zero, But that does not stop us from trying. You'll be amazed at just how close a group of scientists will get!

Zero-point energy is really quite strange, but it's becoming (sort of) more understood... To the point where it's looking possible to be used as a really cool engine for long-range interstellar spacecraft.

In fact, an Egyptian (I believe it was) woman recently filed a patent application for an engine based upon zero-point energy which uses the Casimir effect which had only very recently been demonstrated to exist.

It basically consists of two uncharged metal plates placed so that they're only a few micrometers apart in a vacuum and shielded from electromagnetic effects. Virtual particles forming between the plates create a net force upon them, which can be shaped depending on the orientation of the plates, to produce thrust. It's very, very small amounts of thrust, but it is constant and requires no fuel to be carried, which is important for very long distance travel.
Reply Quote
06/05/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Hylozoist
Zero-point energy is really quite strange, but it's becoming (sort of) more understood... To the point where it's looking possible to be used as a really cool engine for long-range interstellar spacecraft.

What? Can you refer to a paper? I'm really not sure about what you're saying...

06/05/2012 01:18 PMPosted by Hylozoist
In fact, an Egyptian (I believe it was) woman recently filed a patent application for an engine based upon zero-point energy which uses the Casimir effect which had only very recently been demonstrated to exist.

Do you have a link? I'm sceptical. Very much so.

btw I thought Casimir effect was an attrative force between the two metal plates... which would make it impossible to move something with it...
Reply Quote
Do you have a link? I'm sceptical. Very much so.

btw I thought Casimir effect was an attrative force between the two metal plates... which would make it impossible to move something with it...

Using it as a generator for thrust required some alteration from the basic experimental proof of the Casimir effect, which was the two metal plates suspended very near to each other.

In the case of the engine, it would be accomplished by having one plate able to move independently, from what I understand of it, in order to control the attractive or repulsive force.

I don't have the link handy for the article I read on it, but the woman's name is Aisha Mustafa.

If it pans out it'll have a solid use for deep-space probes.
Reply Quote
If you find a way to bend the fabric of spacetime, you can move through space using nothing but pure energy. If we can make something like that, we can go into space without using a drop of fuel, because we can harvest energy from the solar and extrasolar wind that is constantly blowing in our face.
Reply Quote
Is frictionless acceleration possible?

Of course, my dear lad. Just place one portal under your feet, and another one on the ceiling. :P With Aperture Science, anything is possible!
Edited by MetaDragon on 6/12/2012 5:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
"Frictionless acceleration" is like "Tromboneless running".

Both are possible, but neither term makes much sense.

^ This. It's the same as taking anything to any extreme like 100% efficiency.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]