StarCraft® II

Raptor ling leap functionality - multiplayer.

(Locked)

06/27/2011 11:55 PMPosted by xXxTuNdRaxXx
lol if raptor lings get to jump over zealots the collossi get to fly for a minimum of 10 seconds. i can play that game too son

You bumped a thread after 20 days when you disagree with the OP?
Why, lol.
Raptorlings should come as an upgrade at spawning pool.
Hypothetically, we place it in Hive tech and you reach late game against a protoss. Now think what protoss can get. Protoss can get blink stalkers which are ranged units mind you. Its the same concept. Just saying before we all freak out, think of the other units that the lings will go against not just zealots.
05/31/2011 10:01 PMPosted by Psycho
The Raptorling's jumping ability is just Zealot Charge anyway. Not very original having two of the 3 primary race's units have the same move

I was hoping that the leap would allow a raptorling to attack a unit or building even if it was fully surrounded by lings already.

To me, this would allow them to 'scale' closer to, say, a marine ball since marines can all focus down one unit at a time at range.
Swarmlings are the superior tech. Getting a 3rd zergling each time you spawn them is far more appealing than a Chargelot knockoff.

I won't be getting raptorlings in the HotS campaign. Not that I would have...
What about blinking, vortexing, charging, and FF'ing probes? then I would allow raptor lings
I was hoping that it would not be just like that. From the video at the 24 second mark, I cannot say with certainly what it actually did: run around, or jump over.

<a href="http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/media/videos/?view&keywords=heart-of-the-swarm#/heart-of-the-swarm-gameplay">http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/media/videos/?view&keywords=heart-of-the-swarm#/heart-of-the-swarm-gameplay</a>

The Raptorling's jumping ability is just Zealot Charge anyway. Not very original having two of the 3 primary race's units have the same move

I totally agree with your enthusiasm for the raptor in the OP Kerrigan, but I think there are some wrong Ideas floating around. Thanks for linking the video already.

In the video all you see is raptors leaping to & instantly surrounding two spine crawlers. The spine crawlers do not form a wall. There is no evidence that the raptors have the mechanic to bypass a wall, force fields or cliff-hop. None. That's just speculation. If anyone has something to show that I haven't watched obsessively yet (I've been fantasizing about raptorlings since the 90's) I would lovelovelove a link.

The range the raptors jump is impressive, & one (if you rewind like 50 times to keep track of which one is which) appears to start its leap from behind another & wind up on the far side of the spine crawler. That supports the "blink attack" idea that someone already suggested. It is not the same thing as charge. Charge is designed to maintain an unbroken wall of zealots to tank for the protoss ball. The zealots are supposed to stay shoulder to shoulder. This thing is different.

Because the raptor range appears to be so long, it won't work for multiplayer. Good opponents could kite the things away & divide & conquer, so zerg players might not even like it in practice. If the range was very short, that could be very useful as a hive tech option to make zerglings have some combat value in the late game. As is you can't expect a z-ling based force to do much against a toss or terran death ball even with full upgrades & a surround, but if the zerglings can jump just enough to get over each other & other same team units then that would have some potential to make multiplayer.
Edited by MilkMansSon on 7/15/2011 7:23 PM PDT

I was hoping that the leap would allow a raptorling to attack a unit or building even if it was fully surrounded by lings already.

To me, this would allow them to 'scale' closer to, say, a marine ball since marines can all focus down one unit at a time at range.[/quote]

This is much like what I would like, for them to leapfrog attack over each other. Then they would be much more locust like, & appear as a true wave of biomass splashing up against the boarders of the enemy like ocean waves crashing against a rocky coast.
Edited by MilkMansSon on 7/15/2011 7:26 PM PDT
Swarmlings are the superior tech. Getting a 3rd zergling each time you spawn them is far more appealing than a Chargelot knockoff.

I won't be getting raptorlings in the HotS campaign. Not that I would have...

I was actually thinking that swarmlings had next to no chance of making the final cut. If you disagree that's great, I'm just surprised. The swarmlings info page indicated that the cost on minerals & larvae would be the same, but said nothing of food or food limit. I was already making the assumption that blizz would replace it with the Hunterling from Left to Die (which I think some folk are confusing with the raptor already.)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]