StarCraft® II

PC Recommendations for Enhanced Gameplay

Hi there.

I am currently thinking about purchasing a new computer for gaming purposes. I am currently using an HP laptop to play SC2 on, and I used to play WoW on it, but I'm afraid I'm going to melt my machine. This of course is something I would like to avoid. I use this laptop for school and would hate to lose all of my information because my computer exploded (I do backup regularly as this fear of mine has done nothing but grown). I have SpeedFan installed and when I alt-tab when I'm playing SC2, the number in the desktop tray is near 90. Since I can almost boil water at this temperature, I am concerned. However i realize this may not exactly translate into computer temperatures.

I am interested in finding a machine that can play SC2, WoW, and Diablo III in high/ultra settings with 60 fps. I don't want to spend more than $1000. I would prefer something around $500-600 but I realize this just may not be realistic. I have seen some good deals from iBuyPower, but have also read some mixed reviews on them. I don't, oddly enough, want to be screwed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Sean

Here are the stats, as far as I know, of my current system.

System
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
Model HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
System type 64-bit operating system
Number of processor cores 2

Storage
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total size of hard disk(s) 233 GB
Disk partition (C:) 54 GB Free (222 GB Total)
Disk partition (D:) 2 GB Free (11 GB Total)
Media drive (E:) CD/DVD
Media drive (F:) CD/DVDCD/DVD
Media drive (G:) CD/DVDCD/DVDCD/DVD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Total available graphics memory 2287 MB
Dedicated graphics memory 512 MB
Dedicated system memory 0 MB
Shared system memory 1775 MB
Display adapter driver version 8.15.11.8644
Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
DirectX version DirectX 10

Network

Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Network Adapter Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Network Adapter Microsoft Tun Miniport Adapter

Reply Quote
for a desktop pc i would recommend building your own computer
intel core i7 2500k
nvidia gtx 560 or better
>600w psu from a reputable brand (antec corsair etc)
p67 motherboard
8GB ram
any case that fits this
building isnt that hard and there is no crapware coming from the pc

if you want a laptop then at that price point you will get medium at best graphics so i'd advise against it but your call
Reply Quote
Please use one of the templates from:

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2593002530

I'm not sure if you want a laptop or desktop. Is building your own an option or you just want to buy an OEM system and be done with it? Etc...

Reply Quote
Thank you both for your replies. I took suggestions into consideration and am now wondering if the concoction I am thinking of obtaining will work. I am going to paste a link to a "wish list" from newegg so that people much more versed in the art of building computers can tell me if I'm getting a good deal, if the parts will work with each other, etc. Thank you!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/esuule/ComputerBuildIdeasWishList.jpg
Reply Quote
Thank you both for your replies. I took suggestions into consideration and am now wondering if the concoction I am thinking of obtaining will work. I am going to paste a link to a "wish list" from newegg so that people much more versed in the art of building computers can tell me if I'm getting a good deal, if the parts will work with each other, etc. Thank you!

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/esuule/ComputerBuildIdeasWishList.jpg

I'd swap out the processor for the i5 2500 thats 20 dollars more. If you want to overclock you will want the 2500k.
You should look to see if you can find a Z68 motherboard in you price range. You get all the feartures from both P67 and H67 boards. I've never used ECS boards so can't speak to the quality, but if there is one in your range, I can recommend ASUS boards as I use them in all my builds.
Swap out the hard drive for a blue or black model, the green don't have the best performance.
You might want to look at the Radeon 6870, its comparible to the 560 but uses less electric and runs cooler.
I believe there is a Samsung DVD Burner for the same price but with free shipping.

Other than that it looks good.
Edited by Morg on 6/8/2011 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for all of your help Morg. I have taken your suggestions, and more from friends, and have an update. I really do appreciate your helping me out.

I chose to get fewer memory sticks so they can share the load, and I can install more memory if I want to later. I don't really want to/know how to overclock so that isn't as much of a concern right now. Anyway, here is the link.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i272/esuule/ComputerBuildIdeasWishList2.jpg
Reply Quote
i would recommend a samsung spinpoint f3 1 TB its only 64.99 and is a highly rated drive (i own it and it works great)

i would also recommend 8GB of ram- 4GB just isnt enough these days and its not that much more expensive
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]