StarCraft® II

Artificial Gravity

Some proposed anti-grav technologies use rotating mercury.
Reply Quote
You must construct additional pylons.
There problem solved.
Reply Quote
We can already produce artificial gravity through rotation I believe.
Reply Quote
09/10/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Ruin
We can already produce artificial gravity through rotation I believe.

Well, I think it's true for someone inside an accelerating object, but rotation has the problem of fictional forces (like the centrifugal force) which are very much real for a person inside the rotating object. Now, if i remember well, all the fictional forces are inversely proportional to the radius of rotation so if you could make a wheel (now i'm just directly picturing the space station in space odyssey 2001) large enough, it wouldn't be such a problem.

What's nice about the equivalence principle between acceleration and gravitation is that it makes interstellar space travel quiet confy as long as you can steadily accelerate the spaceship at around 10 m/s^2. So to go to say, Alpha Centauri, you'd accelerate until halfway there, turn your ship around, and decelerate at the same rate for the rest of the trip, thus having "artificial", earth-like gravity almost all the time. heard being in constant zero gravity is quiet nauseating and a strain on any organism.

What I wonder is if the discovery of anti-mass is possible? Like an object which gravitationally pushes away others instead of attracting them?
Reply Quote
Spin around in circles realllllly fast, waalaa REAL gravity. I think we need to understand the "gravity" of anti-matter before anything, considering it's consuming matter at an alarming rate.
Reply Quote
I would want a warp field around me that caused my whole body to experience > 1 g force all the time. Amp that sucker up 0.1 g every month or so. Then when I've exercised and adapted under heavier gravity, I'll be incredibly faster and stronger in 1 g space when it's off.

It

will

be so freakin' awesome
Reply Quote
Before we go off making antigravity, we first have to find ot WHAT gravity is!

Several theories have been created:

-Relativity: Gravity is a distortion in the fabric of space
-Quantum: Gravity is mediated by gravitons, which we have no evidence of
-String Theory:
Gravity is weak, but infinite in scope.

Actually String Theory predicts that Gravity is one of the stronger forces in the Universe. The reason why it appears to be "weak" is because the particles of gravitons are "open strings" not bound to the brains of spatial dimensionality. These particles can pass freely and effectively through outer and submerse dimensions. This discretely dilutes the effect of gravity.

(He ment "Branes", as in membranes)

And then there is something called M Theory, which I have not read about yet.

Got any ideas?
Reply Quote
I've met Brian Greene. ujellybros
Reply Quote
09/16/2011 11:51 AMPosted by Astrai
"'gravity' of anti-matter

anti matter has gravity? I guess that makes sense. I thought perhaps it had negative mass or something (doesn't make sense but 40 years ago they would have said the same thing about anti matter). Does energy have gravity? Since it has extremely small mass but it still has mass. Or is it (the gravity of energy) so incredibly low that it would never (realistically) affect anything?
Reply Quote
06/10/2011 06:13 AMPosted by Darkheart
As many people may know, there are four forces in the galaxy: Gravity, Electromagnetism, Weak Force, and Strong. I know that Albert Einstein was trying to combine Gravity and Electromagnetism before he died. I believe if we can successfully merge these to forces together we can create Artificial Gravity. With this we could create limitless technology, for instance, gravity is the force that keeps oxygen on Earth. With this technology, we could successfully create living environments on the moon. Also if we could combine these forces we may also be able to create Anti-Gravity, which we could use to make space platforms and hovercraft. Any other input?

The third and fourth forces are nuclear weak, and nuclear strong, respectively.

Also, you cannot "combine" any of these forces. They are not tangible things.

And last, there is no such thing as "anti-gravity." You might be thinking of some kind of repulsive force, which would simply fall under an electromagnetic force.
Reply Quote
but does energy have mass? do photons, and whatever else there is that transfers energy have mass. Other than the obvious "matter has mass and can carry energy". If it does . . . could we use energy to create a black hole? Also black holes I get that they suck up matter, and I'm pretty sure they spit out energy as well, do they perhaps spit out more energy than matter? or vice versa? Also if gravity is leaking outside of the universe, doesn't that mean that the universe is constantly spewing out spacetime fabric outside of reality? Also outside of the universe, do we know anything about it? do we even know if there is an outside of the universe? Since gravity prevents space from expanding, that means space can't move so instead time moves, meaning that in spacetime not affected by gravity space moves and time stands still . . . I think I am overthinking it, but how does space time work what causes the phenomenon known as time, or the progression of events linearly. Things Don't have to happen linearly, effect can happen before cause under the right circumstances. Does that mean that we could in theory have an effect happen then prevent the cause from happening after the effect has already happened? Could we pull energy and matter from outside the universe this way? Am I making any sense?
Reply Quote
but does energy have mass? do photons, and whatever else there is that transfers energy have mass. Other than the obvious "matter has mass and can carry energy". If it does . . . could we use energy to create a black hole? Also black holes I get that they suck up matter, and I'm pretty sure they spit out energy as well, do they perhaps spit out more energy than matter? or vice versa? Also if gravity is leaking outside of the universe, doesn't that mean that the universe is constantly spewing out spacetime fabric outside of reality? Also outside of the universe, do we know anything about it? do we even know if there is an outside of the universe? [...] Am I making any sense?

No

We could harvest photons to create a black hole in theory... but why would we do that? (Except for an Archon toilet I guess...)

Black hole disintegrates (Hawking radiation) but at a slow rate. The total energy (including mass energy) is conversed so no luck there.

I'm no expert in sting theories / M theory, but the other dimension are closed so nothing is lost that way. I might be wrong though.

Outside the Universe doesn't exist by definition.

More or less. More less than more. You said too many things at once, it's hard to follow. Sorry bro.
Reply Quote
02/24/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Necromaster
but does energy have mass?

According to Einsten, both are the same, e=mc², you know?
That equation means, in other words;
E (joules) = M (kilograms) · 299792458²
So, "mass" would be a lot of clumped energy
Reply Quote
thats ok i just had a bunch of weird thoughts in a flurry linking bits and pieces of physics fun facts and trivia that Ive learned.
also maxpower I kinda was thinking along the same lines of humodz, so can you expand upon that no as to why energy doesn't have mass?
Reply Quote
energy has mass so you can create gravity you would just need a rediculous amount of energy to make it noticable
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]