StarCraft® II

Starcraft Diorama

Follow along as I foray into the world of diorama construction! This project is my big undertaking for the following year. I hope to have it finished for my birthday in 2012 (you know, before the world ends). For those of you that may find this interesting and would like to see the work involved, additional photos can be seen by clicking the following link:

http://s1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/Altitron/Starcraft%20Diorama/

The diorama itself will depict a scene on the Protoss homeworld of Aiur. I will be building a Zerg Hydralisk and a pair of Zerglings, possibly an Overlord, as well as a Protoss Zealot with a pylon. Features of the diorama that I plan to or would like to incorporate are as follows:

Rotating (i.e. motor-driven) pylon
Realistic Zerg Creep
An Overlord producing Creep
A Bengalaas struggling to escape the Creep
Zealot Psi-blade LED's
Flora discoloration (i.e. wilting) as the Creep advances over it

Base figures that I sourced for this build are as follows:

DC Universe Classic sGreen Latern G'Hu (Zealot head)
World of Warcraft Lady Vasj (Hydralisk lower body)
World of Warcraft Succubus Demon (Hydralisk arms, Zergling horns and tail)
Halo: Reach Elite Officer (Zealot body, Hydralisk head)
Warhammer Chaos Warhounds (Zergling body)

You can see more of the supplies that I have bought for this diorama in my Photobucket folder. These were purchased at hobby stores such as Michael's, Lowe's, and HobbyTown USA.

For those of you interested in trying something like this for yourself, I highly recommend two books that I picked up before diving into this project: Games Workshop's 'How to Make Wargames Terrain' and Fine Scale Modeler's 'How to Build Dioramas'.

Be sure to let me know what you think!

- Alty
Edited by Altitron on 6/12/2011 8:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
what are you using for the wings on the lings? The hydralisk is gonna have a tiny head xD
Reply Quote
06/14/2011 05:30 AMPosted by Galvian
what are you using for the wings on the lings?

Zergling's hadn't evolved wings yet in the time that Zerg invaded Aiur.
Reply Quote
ohhhhh right
Reply Quote
Well, the Elite's head is being used mostly just for the jaw structure of the hydralisk. I'll be building up the head crest with styrene and apoxie sculpt. As for the Zerglings, I hadn't thought of adding wings, but I suppose I could craft a pair for one of them... This could be a scene on Aiur post-invasion, following one of the pockets of Protoss resistance. I could probably find a dead Dragonfly or something like that - although that's a bit morbid, haha.

- Alty
Reply Quote
06/14/2011 03:22 PMPosted by Altitron
I could probably find a dead Dragonfly or something like that - although that's a bit morbid, haha.

A_o
Reply Quote
Posted by AltitronI could probably find a dead Dragonfly or something like that - although that's a bit morbid, haha.

06/14/2011 03:22 PMPosted by Altitron
I could probably find a dead Dragonfly or something like that - although that's a bit morbid, haha.

Ewwwwwwww. Dude just drench some paper in water and layer it and scrunch it up a little. It'll probubly work better because the dragonfly wings will deterioate.
Reply Quote
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/166/4/4/starcraft_diorama___pt__1_by_altitron-d3iztai.jpg
Reply Quote
dude you should repaint the hydralisk....it looks like it's trying to make a fashion statement......
Edited by Galvian on 6/15/2011 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/15/2011 06:26 PMPosted by Galvian
dude you should repaint the hydralisk....it looks like it's trying to make a fashion statement......

All in good time, my friend. All in good time...

- Alty
Reply Quote
WTF you guys are ***@ing morons! Do you not think he's going to ***@ing repaint these figures? No? He's just going to have a ***@ing Warcraft Naga and call it a Hydralisk? WTF? DUMB ASSES PEACE I'M ***@ING OUT
Reply Quote
06/15/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Robcbh
WTF you guys are ***@ing morons! Do you not think he's going to ***@ing repaint these figures? No? He's just going to have a ***@ing Warcraft Naga and call it a Hydralisk? WTF? DUMB ASSES PEACE I'M ***@ING OUT

Daym someone's having a bad day.
Reply Quote
06/15/2011 07:13 PMPosted by Robcbh

LOL! Angry Rob is ANGRY

Here's an update:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/167/d/9/starcraft_diorama___pt__2_by_altitron-d3j1mls.jpg

- Alty
Edited by Altitron on 6/16/2011 2:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's looking good man.
Reply Quote
Let me know when its done so I can gawk at its glory
Reply Quote
U no there isnt sno in AIUR right? Jesus christ such a NEWBLET
Edited by Robcbh on 6/16/2011 6:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
dude he's just started give him a break
Reply Quote
The sculpture of the terrain is basically done. Now it needs to be primed and base coated. That should happen soon. I also started tearing apart the base figures today. Enjoy the update:

http://altitron.deviantart.com/art/Starcraft-Diorama-Pt-2-1-213632918

- Alty
Reply Quote
Started working on the Zergling today, as well as base coating the diorama itself after masking off the frame.

http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/ee404/Altitron/Starcraft%20Diorama/c4.jpg

- Alty
Edited by Altitron on 6/24/2011 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/16/2011 06:24 AMPosted by Robcbh
U no there isnt sno in AIUR right? Jesus christ such a NEWBLET

You know it's unpainted, right? SUCH A NEWBLET.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]