StarCraft® II

A Fourth Race.

Yes, its called all the units that were cut.

They use civilians as miners, and consist of guardians, defilers, firebats, diamondbacks, goliaths, Lurkers, devourers, exploading infested terrans, vultures, the old flying queens, ect ect
Reply Quote
Yes, its called all the units that were cut.

They use civilians as miners, and consist of guardians, defilers, firebats, diamondbacks, goliaths, Lurkers, devourers, exploading infested terrans, vultures, the old flying queens, ect ect
\
Please read the thread prior to posting. What was being asked for was a lore-based fourth race, something unique. Not just a group of units.
Reply Quote
Naw, not really. I think we're fine with 3 races
Reply Quote
before starcraft 2 actually came out, I was expecting that it would have 5 races to play. The secret mission in BW alluded to both the hybrids and the xel naga being born/returning. Lore-wise, the missions would be something like this:

Terran - recognizing Xel Naga superiority, Terran governments would be trying to ally themselves with the new race, except for Raynor and his crew.
Zerg - Kerrigan has to solidify control over the zerg swarms, and eventually try to avoid becoming a slave of the Xel Naga as the Overmind was.
Protoss - Trying to find a safe new world to call home, and changing stuff up in an effort not to become obsolete compared to the other races.
Xel Naga - Basically coming in and trying to take over everything, with the help of their Hybrid slaves...
Hybrid - Start off with a rebellion against the Xel Naga, and then trying to survive in a universe where every race wants them dead, with help from Jim Raynor who wants everyone free

So there still would have been 3 factions in the game if you think about it. You have the Dominion/Xel Naga alliance trying to control everything; the Jim Raynor/Hybrid rebels trying to escape slavery; and an uneasy Zerg/Protoss alliance, since both are in danger of becoming obsolete.
Everyone fighting to stay alive in their own way, and no 'Dark Voice' bad guy who you KNOW all three races will team up to fight in the current storyline which I think is kinda lame.
Reply Quote
I would not like a 4th race. I think that Starcraft has really good balance with 3 races. Although I would like too see a DODA style Hero(s) that could be spawned.
Reply Quote
03/01/2012 02:01 PMPosted by Zerg
I would not like a 4th race. I think that Starcraft has really good balance with 3 races. Although I would like too see a DODA style Hero(s) that could be spawned.

Hell yes. Also, fantastic name.
Reply Quote
I would love a 4th race but, the way I see it, Starcraft has always been balanced like this:

Zerg: Weaker, cheaper units.
Protoss: Stronger, Expensive units.
Terran: In the middle.

So a 4th race would have to hit is this some how. I think the only way they could do this is to make 2 races (I would want robots and hybrids personally) and put 1 between Protoss and Terran and the other between Terran and Zerg. Overall, I would like it, but it would be very hard to do.
Reply Quote
What I would like is to have a group of Terran/Protoss mixing units for the battle against the Hybrids / Swarm. I would think the Umojan's would be prime area for this. Perhaps even making Tribrids (Humans augmented with Zerg and Protoss DNA).

I loved some of the fluff that Stet mentioned immortality via Zerg dna, and I could see some terrans going for it (ahem, mengsk).
Reply Quote
Well, I think Terran are a "middle-power" race clearly set to defensive play, so perhaps a race of similar power but more offensively based? I'm not sure a fourth race would really improve the gameplay in any way though...
Reply Quote
Adding a fourth race would be nice. This would make the multiplayer mode nicer. I hope this will come in the 3rd expansion.
Reply Quote
If they could balance it of course. But it won't happen. I guarantee it.

Maybe in SC3 (when that time comes), but I am still extremely doubtful. I don't think Blizzard would want to pull anything that risky considering the present success of the series. That ain't something you're likely to risk.
Reply Quote
Genius!
Reply Quote
Genius
Reply Quote
If they could balance it of course. But it won't happen. I guarantee it.

Maybe in SC3 (when that time comes), but I am still extremely doubtful. I don't think Blizzard would want to pull anything that risky considering the present success of the series. That ain't something you're likely to risk.

They'd probably do a PTR thing with it first and if unsuccessful they'll leave the race as a "campaign only faction"

like the Naga in WC3
Reply Quote
Campaign only. No other way. People will probably make custom maps with them or something, but I am certain they won't be in competitive Multiplayer.
Reply Quote
Campaign only. No other way. People will probably make custom maps with them or something, but I am certain they won't be in competitive Multiplayer.

That's true, because Blizzard has pivoted so severely toward competitive gaming over innovation of new game ideas, they likely won't be changing the dynamic of the three-faction system. However, it would've been interesting to see what new aliens would've entered the picture in the post-zerg-protoss era in Starcraft.
Reply Quote
Yes.

Space Orcs.

No need to introduce a lore, just make them appear out of another dimension.
Reply Quote
I really like the Doctrine system used in Company of Heroes,

The same faction can play in 3 different ways. However, this is very hard to balance, and it does not fit the Starcraft RTS style.
Reply Quote
I think it makes sense to have a PURE robot race, like the Dark Templars were experimenting with crossing their technology with Terrans and it went against them?
(Just made that idea up, dont judge)

We'd have
Zerg: ALL Bio
Terran: Bio/Mech
Protoss: Bio/Mech
Robot: ALL Mech
Actually...
Protoss: Bio/Mech/Psionic
Reply Quote
I think it makes sense to have a PURE robot race, like the Dark Templars were experimenting with crossing their technology with Terrans and it went against them?
(Just made that idea up, dont judge)

We'd have
Protoss: Bio/Mech
Robot: ALL Mech
Actually...
Protoss: Bio/Mech/Psionic

When playing zerg against AI's I always like to through in a very easy/economic focus protoss enemy, just so I can snag a worker for a bit. Then, once I build up the protoss tech, I imagine that the zerg/protoss combination are the aliens of the movie "Skyline." That's also why I use violet for my color.

Pretty much any alien civilization that as advanced further than human beings will have merged biological and technological to varying degrees. Some will have gone so far than the line between them won't be distinguishable.
Edited by Goyathla on 5/15/2013 12:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]