StarCraft® II

Wii U to be Dreamcasted?

What do you guys think about the Wii U? I feel that Nintendo is late to the HD game and will not sale as well as the current Wii because they will be priced in the same range as the 360 and PS3.
Edited by HaveMercy on 6/10/2011 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/10/2011 03:54 PMPosted by HaveMercy
What do you guys think about the Wii U? I feel that Nintendo is late to the HD game and will not sale as well as the current Wii because they will be priced in the same range as the 360 and PS3.

The Wii sold and sells so well becuase Nintendo played to its strengths: Easy to play / master games, fun and interactive gameplay. They really hit the market just right.

That being said, unless there is a big improvement and something unique to offer I think the sales will be high but not as much as the original.

I'm looking forward to see what the final specs will be as I've only seen rumors and speculation as to what the hardware will be. (i.e. HD screens on the controllers, statements that the graphic will far surpass PS3 and 360)
Reply Quote
06/10/2011 06:37 PMPosted by Morg
That being said, unless there is a big improvement and something unique to offer I think the sales will be high but not as much as the original.

The controller is quite interesting... I might even say Unique. First time I heard of a controller with a screen.
Reply Quote
06/10/2011 08:09 PMPosted by Linkark

The controller is quite interesting... I might even say Unique. First time I heard of a controller with a screen.

The problem that I find with the controller is that it's going to cost 200 dollars to buy a second one.
Reply Quote
If I may point out:

The Wii has sold 86 million units as of March 31, 2011.

The XBox 360 has sold 55 million units as of June 3, 2011.

The PlayStation 3 has sold 50 million units as of March 29, 2011.

I think the simple fact that Nintendo is joining the HD crowd, with its already successful 1st party IPs, and now a huge group of wildly successful 3rd party IPs, Nintendo is gonna stomp.
Reply Quote
06/10/2011 09:27 PMPosted by HaveMercy

The problem that I find with the controller is that it's going to cost 200 dollars to buy a second one.

This. It's also too big. And you cannot use the GameCube controller, I heard. I don't remember if you can use the Wii controller. But yeah, it's like they think actual gamers like their moronic controllers. Or maybe they aren't even trying for the actual gamer crowd anymore. I absolutely despise motion/accelerometer/camera gimmicks.

06/10/2011 06:37 PMPosted by Morg
statements that the graphic will far surpass PS3 and 360

I'm not so sure on this one, obviously they'd have to outdo the previous generation by some amount, but they don't care if they fall behind when the new ones come out because they "aren't in the graphics war" or something like that. I'm hoping it's at least not a generation behind, for the sake of the people that will buy it. You know, like having almost the same specs as the GameCube, with just enough processing power added to make way for the motion controls?(which are retarded!)
Reply Quote
If I may point out:

I think the simple fact that Nintendo is joining the HD crowd, with its already successful 1st party IPs, and now a huge group of wildly successful 3rd party IPs, Nintendo is gonna stomp.

One of the biggest contribution to why the Wii sold so well was due to the price range. There is literally nobody competing with Nintendo for what the current Wii is selling for. With the introduction of HD graphics and an expensive controller, Nintendo will be in the same pricing range as the 360 and PS3 at 400 dollars. There's a chance that the Nintendo Wii might even cost more if the current consoles on the market decide to price their drop. With such a dramatic increase in pricing, I don't see it selling like hot cakes.

Reply Quote
One of the biggest contribution to why the Wii sold so well was due to the price range. There is literally nobody competing with Nintendo for what the current Wii is selling for. With the introduction of HD graphics and an expensive controller, Nintendo will be in the same pricing range as the 360 and PS3 at 400 dollars. There's a chance that the Nintendo Wii might even cost more if the current consoles on the market decide to price their drop. With such a dramatic increase in pricing, I don't see it selling like hot cakes.

True. But if there's no competition in the 8th generation for a couple years... =/
Reply Quote
If I may point out:

but people bought the wii then let it gather dust. Noones going to rush out to the store to get a new wii because it looks prettier, or at least not the crowd that brought up the wii sales so much.
Reply Quote
06/11/2011 11:07 AMPosted by VGMAN
but people bought the wii then let it gather dust. Noones going to rush out to the store to get a new wii because it looks prettier, or at least not the crowd that brought up the wii sales so much.

Riiiight...

Sorry. I forgot. Because I'm on a computer gaming forum, everyone's a Microsuck fanboi, and therefore thinks anything not Microsuck is *%%@.

My bad. -.-
Reply Quote
Nintendo will make the new Wii U pricing competitive. Nintendo doesn't make money off their hardware as much as they do with software. Their business model is "get as much hardware into people's homes as we can, then make money off software."

As you seen in the past, the N64 stuck to cartridges over CDs, and Gamecube stuck with personalized optical disks. The Wii U will also use a personalized disk that holds up to 25GB (which is much as a Blu-Ray single layer disk). The reason Nintendo does this is because they don't want to share software profits by adapting to DVDs, Blu-Rays, and what nots to split the royalties.

I honestly think the timing is perfect for Wii U. People say things like "oh, it should have been here 5 years ago." Those people have no idea of the world around them. If you see PS3 and Xbox sales, it is very low outside of NA and EU. While the Wii sold around 50million outside of NA.

Nintendo already said that Wii HD was not coming in 2008-09 because they believed MAJORITY of households still didn't adapt HD televisions so what was the point of making an HD system? By 2012, the majority of households will have an HD television. I'm not talking about the average households of NA/EU residents, but outside as well. So what will consumers choose? The Xbox which can't play past 720p because of the lack of VRAM in their hardware? Nope. It is pretty much between PS3 and Nintendo.

Also, lets say M$ and Sony releases a new console in 2014-15. All it can do is upgrade everything BUT resolution. Why? Because if there is something better then HD with 1080p in 2014, are majority of consumers going to go out and spend a thousand dollars on buying a new TV? Nope. Also, by 2014-15 if there is a PS4 or Xbox720, the Wii U price would probably be half of that of Sony and M$'s new console. With a bigger library of games.

The only thing Nintendo can do wrong on launch is having bad software or the pricing being too high. But, Nintendo always had great pricing on hardwares.
Reply Quote
I'm actually a little disappointed with the Wii U. The weird controller seems to serve no real practical purpose so far (other than if someone kicks you off the tv... in which case just get a DS), so the only new thing seems to be better graphics.
I think I'll wait to see what Sony and Microsoft come up with in the next few years before buying a new console.
I do think that Nintendo will continue to be the most successful of the three though, simply because they cater to casual gamers and there are far more casual gamers than hardcore ones.
Edited by IAreLemons on 6/11/2011 5:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nintendo will make the new Wii U pricing competitive. Nintendo doesn't make money off their hardware as much as they do with software. Their business model is "get as much hardware into people's homes as we can, then make money off software."

This isn't true at all and very backwards to the truth. The Wii was the only console out of the three to make a profit last generation because they can't afford to take losses since they are a small company. Microsoft and Sony are the two companies that actually sale their systems for a loss during the first two years of release.

Reply Quote
06/11/2011 06:32 PMPosted by HaveMercy

This isn't true at all and very backwards to the truth. The Wii was the only console out of the three to make a profit last generation because they can't afford to take losses since they are a small company. Microsoft and Sony are the two companies that actually sale their systems for a loss during the first two years of release.

I never said Nintendo makes a loss on hardware. I'm saying their biggest profit margin comes from software and not hardware. Which in turn lets Nintendo cut back from hardware pricing. Compare Sony and MS first party software to Nintendo's. Sure, Nintendo's third party support was lacking, but their first party software like Wii sports franchise, Mario franchise, Zelda franchise, DK franchise, ALL go back to Nintendo. Unlike Sony and MS where their biggest software sales come from companies like Activision, EA, etc. which gets split among themselves.
Reply Quote
aaaaaaaaah i heard ACTIVISION dont speak such blasphemy
Reply Quote
i hate wii but bought it anyways casue changed my mind, i'll still buy wii u try it out.
Reply Quote
So how much would that controller cost? In my opinion, it's just a giant ds now. I don't want to look at two screens and certainly do not want to hold a big controller. I'll be sticking with xbox as my console, again.
Reply Quote
06/11/2011 06:55 PMPosted by Shinski
I never said Nintendo makes a loss on hardware. I'm saying their biggest profit margin comes from software and not hardware. Which in turn lets Nintendo cut back from hardware pricing. Compare Sony and MS first party software to Nintendo's. Sure, Nintendo's third party support was lacking, but their first party software like Wii sports franchise, Mario franchise, Zelda franchise, DK franchise, ALL go back to Nintendo. Unlike Sony and MS where their biggest software sales come from companies like Activision, EA, etc. which gets split among themselves.

Actually Nintendo makes money off their consonsoles... thats the reasoning behind the insane price point on the 3DS. I mean the average Wii has an attatch rate of 3:1 meaning 3 games to one console, and since all Wii's come with Wii Sports that means the average Wii owner only bought two games. The 360's and PS3's attatch rate is 9 and 7 respectivly.

06/11/2011 03:16 PMPosted by Shinski
I honestly think the timing is perfect for Wii U. People say things like "oh, it should have been here 5 years ago." Those people have no idea of the world around them. If you see PS3 and Xbox sales, it is very low outside of NA and EU. While the Wii sold around 50million outside of NA.

Both wrong and right at the same time. To the people who were calling for a HD Wii they never really understood the point of the Wii in the first place so they should be discounted. However at the same time its kinda true as the Wii U in many ways is just a HD Wii with a unique controller that only one can be contected to any Wii U at a time. No two tablet controlers for the Wii U everyone else has to deal with a Wiimote. Also the statement about sales is true of the Xbox 360 which is a North American console for sure, but the PS3 sells quite well in Japan... they may not sell as well as the Wii but right now the PS3 is easly outselling the Wii.

The Xbox which can't play past 720p because of the lack of VRAM in their hardware? Nope. It is pretty much between PS3 and Nintendo.

Um... Xbox 360 can output 1080p... I play on 1080p all the time on both my 360 and PS3. The only limiting factor is the game itself which may only be a 720p upscale but thats not a hardware problem its software.

The only thing Nintendo can do wrong on launch is having bad software or the pricing being too high. But, Nintendo always had great pricing on hardwares.

Nintendo 3DS is all I'm going to say to that...

Also sorry I picked on you I think it was a good segway though. The Wii did well because it did what nobody had ever done it made a Console appeal to the masses, it had a good gimic that sold system. However it did two things poorly it isolated Nintendo from 3rd party develepors which will limit the new system with them still. Also it isolated Nintendo from core gamers which will limit it sales with them as none of them will start the 8th Generation with a Wii U rather then wait the year for the inevitable new consoles from Microsoft or Sony.

Finally right now the Wii U doesnt look like it can be as strong as the Wii. Due to the fact its gimick double screen controler is less self explanitory then motion control, hell I dont know what it can be used for. Plus the people who bought the Wii in the first place arent gamers so they cant be expected to convert just because it has the name Wii. Really this could be a problem as it doesnt have a niche right now as the Wii did, and in many ways for the Core Gamer crowd its only now catching up to the 360 and PS3. I mean the game they showed off for core gamers as a launch title Darksiders 2 will be on the PS3 and Xbox 360, also add to the fact the images of the game Nintendo showed at their press conference at E3 was rendered using the 360...
Edited by Moridin on 6/14/2011 6:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/10/2011 08:09 PMPosted by Linkark

PS3 + PSP combo, bro. Although that was limited to like.. 2 games.

However, since the Sony Vita is coming out before the Wii U, and Vita will have more compatibility with PS3 games, Sony is going to have a huge edge on Nintendo for having a controller with a screen capabilities.

The only problem lies in the fact that people who don't own a PS3 will have to buy a PS3 + Vita which will be much more expensive than Wii U. However if you own a PS3 you're almost better off to get a Vita than a Wii U, because unlike the Wii U controller, the Vita acts as a handheld system when you're not at home.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]