StarCraft® II

HotS Campaign to only have 10-12 units

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=234187

Check the Dustin Browder interview. He says that there were too many conflicting choices in WoL, and that was due to there being ~20 units in the game. With 10-12, it would limit choices enough so there isn't just an "implied choice" where there's one that's stronger and one that's weaker. However, there would be even more choice with all the evolutions, in such a way that depending on your choices, each swarm would feel and play different.

This makes it a lot more feasible for them to have ~20 missions, without the majority being "introduce X unit" levels.
Reply Quote
well that is about the same amount of unit zerg has now
Reply Quote
Yeah, i knew it. Blizzard doesn't like the zerg so they cheapskate out on our development just like in WoL. Blizzards production quality has been dropping like a stone lately.
Reply Quote
@%@% YOU. Why terrans get all kinds of units and we get JACK %*@*. mabye some people were right, mabye only care about the profits now (sigh)
Reply Quote
Honestly that's fine with me. Plus it's more zergy to have only the "elite" that evolve. There's no reason for zerg to have 20 species that never see the day of light. They evolve to create the ultimate type of species, if I'm not mistaken. So having fewer units that can evolve and become better feels more zerg to me.

Plus face it, in WoL, there were like 6-10 units per unit production. We used maybe 5-8 total on average. It's smart to focus on only a handful of units and make THOSE really good than have 20 crap units that no one will use. Plus with the zerg mechanic, it'll be a pain to toggle through larva screens to find the one unit you want because there's only so many that can fit on the first selection screen. If zerg had WoL like units, there definitely wouldn't be enough room on the larva screen to pick a unit to train.
Reply Quote
So no bringing back SC1/BW zerg units for the campaign? /sadpanda
Edited by skywolfblue on 6/18/2011 10:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Zerg needs MORE units to play as. I want Scourges,Abberations,Swarm Gs,Brutalisks,Lurkers, and the new units in our choices. If we cant use more units in multiplayer then Im gonna be pissed.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
I think the best option is a vary small core army (zerglings, hydralisk) that you have subevolutions to tailor your play too. These are what you can build from hatchieres. And than on top of that you have mission-specific units (Brutalisks, Lurkers, Gaurdians, Infested Colonists) that you aquire for that mission only to make each mission feel unique, fun and exciting.
Edited by Archer on 6/19/2011 11:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Did nobody actually see the video? There will be something like 25 units possible, but throughout the campaign you will only get to choose between 10-12 of them.
Reply Quote
06/19/2011 01:03 PMPosted by Steric
Did nobody actually see the video? There will be something like 25 units possible, but throughout the campaign you will only get to choose between 10-12 of them.

And if you really want to dumb it down, think about the Zerg and Protoss tech you had to get in the WoL campaign and the choices you had to make with them.
Reply Quote
Likely as not it's Dustin Browder's excuse for why they decided to do a rush job on Heart of the Swarm in order to crack it into production faster.

06/18/2011 09:48 PMPosted by Avo
Yeah, i knew it. Blizzard doesn't like the zerg so they cheapskate out on our development just like in WoL. Blizzards production quality has been dropping like a stone lately.

That's what happens when someone lets themselves be bought out by Activision. Might as well let Parker Brothers buy X-Box and have them run it.
Reply Quote
Please, seriously, I think we can all agree that more units isn't always better. Honestly, would you rather every mission be a tutorial for one or two units, rather than an actual mission with its own goals, that require a varied combination of units?

I like the thought they put into it. While there are some units in the campaign that I used occasionally, there were actually only a handful of truly useful units, and (with few exceptions) those ended up being the units that got slated for multiplayer.

What I like that they're doing now is instead of just giving you all these options for free, they give you all the base units you'll need, but then give you options to customize how those units work (to a degree). This means that every player will be able to play in their preferred way, and not miss out of certain units, or take the generically "wrong" choice.

Think about it mission-wise. Wings had 29 missions, counting everything.

Drop the 3 alternate route missions, down to 26. Drop the 4 protoss missions, down to 22. Drop the bonus mission and Zero Hour (where you don't get any extra units) and you have 20 missions. Dropping the 3 Char missions, you're down to 17 missions that introduce new units.

Add in the tech path extra units and you get 19 units, and including the options you have 22 units to choose from. I think that's a little overbearing.
Reply Quote
06/20/2011 10:56 AMPosted by KarMAzasz
Add in the tech path extra units and you get 19 units, and including the options you have 22 units to choose from. I think that's a little overbearing.

Just 'cause you can't handle options doesn't mean I should be denied them.
Reply Quote
This is good, actually.
I'd rather have a small number of units whose function changes drastically with upgrades and morphs than a large number of units of which you can pick a fixed number and have bland upgrades.

Reply Quote
06/20/2011 03:52 PMPosted by Stranger

Just 'cause you can't handle options doesn't mean I should be denied them.

I'm not saying you should be denied the options. Heck, I've done several campaign run-throughs trying to use all the different choices, and STILL haven't really used them all very much.

What I'm saying is that there are only so many possible unit roles, and sooner or later those are going to overlap. Situationally, there are times that two similar units, like Hellions and Firebats, would be useful in their own way. However, when there's only one correct choice generically, it doesn't really help to have the "wrong" choice in there.
Reply Quote
Im just hoping they make this into Multiplayer. Imagine if EVERY zerg you go against decides to use different evolution choices. Seems a lot more Zergy to me.
Reply Quote
They don't have to be über-useful or not overlap with any of the new units. They're just there to provide some nostalgia and some alternative strategy.

Even though the Viking is a better unit in nearly every way, it was nice to see the Wraith make a return in the campaign. Even though Medivacs are better, it was nice to see the Medic. Etc.
Edited by skywolfblue on 6/20/2011 9:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]