StarCraft® II

HotS Campaign to only have 10-12 units

Sounds to me like they're just trading less units for more upgrades. If we consider units and upgrades to be of approximately equal value (which we should, since some upgrades are units), the numbers come out about even.

Here's what the Terrans have:

• 19 free units (units that only require completing missions to obtain).

• 44 armory upgrades.

• 8 mercs.

• 20 lab upgrades.

For a total of 91 units/upgrades.

Now for the Zerg:

• 12 free units.

• 3 mutation upgrades per unit, for a total of 36.

• 2 evolution upgrades per unit, for a total of 24.

• 4 battle focus groups (heehee, focus groups, the Zerg do marketing), each of which have 5 upgrades, for a total of 20.

Giving the Zerg a combined total of 92 units/upgrades. And that's assuming things like spine crawlers and spore crawlers don't have mutations and evolutions as well, which would put Zerg way ahead of the game.

I think it's a good decision. Additional units usually force you to choose between making one unit or making another. Additional upgrades usually reward you for making units that you would have made anyway.
Reply Quote
Likely as not it's Dustin Browder's excuse for why they decided to do a rush job on Heart of the Swarm in order to crack it into production faster.

That's what happens when someone lets themselves be bought out by Activision. Might as well let Parker Brothers buy X-Box and have them run it.

state your source that HOTS is being rushed to launch.

Honestly, it's so obvious I'm not sure how anyone could've missed it.
Reply Quote
06/20/2011 09:43 PMPosted by Zeratul
Im just hoping they make this into Multiplayer. Imagine if EVERY zerg you go against decides to use different evolution choices. Seems a lot more Zergy to me.

A multiplayer campaign will suck bad enough that the game won't be worth buying.
Reply Quote

Even though the Viking is a better unit in nearly every way, it was nice to see the Wraith make a return in the campaign.

Objection!, vikings were only better than wraiths in attack range but speed, attack speed, and cloaking made wraiths better than vikings.

Now Goliaths on the other hand are inferior to vikings in nearly every way...they are like goliaths....with cliff walking.
Reply Quote
Sounds good to me. WOL campaign had a ton of units, but like half of them were utterly useless. Having a smaller amount with a greater degree of customization on them sounds awesome.
Reply Quote
Objection!, vikings were only better than wraiths in attack range but speed, attack speed, and cloaking made wraiths better than vikings.Now Goliaths on the other hand are inferior to vikings in nearly every way...they are like goliaths....with cliff walking.

I would rather just prefer Goliaths. They can hit two targets at once.
Reply Quote
I honestly don't mind so much as long as I get to see the defiler, devourer, scourge and lurker in campaign. Mostly the defiler and lurker.
Reply Quote
06/21/2011 07:19 PMPosted by TeTrodoToxIn
I honestly don't mind so much as long as I get to see the defiler, devourer, scourge and lurker in campaign. Mostly the defiler and lurker.

They aren't bringing back SC1 units. Please let the lurker dreams die
Reply Quote
Terran got almost all their SC1 units so they don't get to complain. :P

No excuse those can't show up in campaign seeing as most of them already have models.
Reply Quote
10-12 units seems really lacking. You can evolve them with different upgrades but they have they share the same damn role. Those 12 will probably include drone and queen...maybe...If not, I'm not sure how this is going to work. It sounds pretty terrible for me right now.
Reply Quote
If they have the lurker............ then i will be happy
Reply Quote
06/21/2011 11:07 PMPosted by Ragnarok
If they have the lurker............ then i will be happy

I wish they will, but I'm not sure they will anymore after this announcement. Sucks, really. I was hoping for defilers too. Maybe they will add them. Time will tell.
Reply Quote
Blizzard says that they removed the Lurker, because that Zerg had enough units already.

But the funny thing is, in current multiplayer, Zerg has the least amount of units out of all the races.

Now can we get Lurkers back since I just destroyed Blizzard's reasoning behind removing the Lurker?

Either put them back in or give the Zerg something new and awesome.
Reply Quote
06/20/2011 09:43 PMPosted by Zeratul
Im just hoping they make this into Multiplayer. Imagine if EVERY zerg you go against decides to use different evolution choices. Seems a lot more Zergy to me.

This would be awesome but it won't be implemented. It's too awesome, just like the old Mothership and customizable Battlecruisers. <.<
Reply Quote

Even though the Viking is a better unit in nearly every way, it was nice to see the Wraith make a return in the campaign.

Objection!, vikings were only better than wraiths in attack range but speed, attack speed, and cloaking made wraiths better than vikings.

Now Goliaths on the other hand are inferior to vikings in nearly every way...they are like goliaths....with cliff walking.

None of the wraith attributes mean anything compared to an attack range of nine and eventually elevent. Much better than a wraith, and the firepower is also better.
Reply Quote
I wanna see the Lurkers again :D
Reply Quote
Lurkers rule! ;~D
Reply Quote
06/25/2011 01:15 AMPosted by Knightmare
I wanna see the Lurkers again :D

your not the only one
Reply Quote
I'll bet half the units in the campaign were already revealed through the gameplay trailer.

I should have know better than to think Blizzard would treat Zerg with respect. Less missions, no truly 'new' 'units' ( and there's probably been more discussion about which Zerg units to boot than to add ), and it's only been a year since WoL came out. A rush job to the core. I wouldn't be surprised if they are secretly working on Legacy of the Void at the same time.

Would it kill Blizzard to show some thought and consideration when it comes to Zerg? Sure, Terran had 20+ units in it's campaign (that to some seems overkill). But guess what. Terran had 20+ units in it's campaign. Imagine all the planning and discussion and tweaking and designing and decision making that went into that, not to mention all the upgrades. All that time and effort on Blizzard's part is plain as day. But the Zerg campaign? Eh, just give the units we have now upgrades and call it a day. This is the way Blizzard has treated Zerg in SC2 from day 1. Minimalistic. And I'm tired of it.

Maybe 20+ units is too much to use, but that doesn't mean we can't have any. Throw in a couple, its the campaign for christ's sake, who cares? I'm not asking for lurkers or other SC1 units, just something other than roach/ling/bling/hydra. And I'm not saying I don't like the current unit's upgrades and evolutions either. But if the only things that are 'new' in HotS are upgrades, most that probably won't make the Mulitplayer cut, then nothing will have changed. In essence, I will be buying a $60, shorter, thinner WoL campaign whose only redeeming quality will be the fact that you can play as Zerg. Whoop de doo.

I'll probably still buy it since I love Zerg, but it will most likely be the worst-spent $60 I've spent in awhile.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]