StarCraft® II

HotS Campaign to only have 10-12 units

the terran campaign was basically "hey you see this new unit, spam the crap out of it"

for the most part anyway.

edit: btw anyone who truly beleives blizzard has a bias against their race is a moron. it makes zero sense that blizzard would target a 1/3rd of their fanbase.
Edited by max on 6/26/2011 2:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I hope at least 5-6 of the 12 units are actually needed for brutal difficulty.

Maybe it won't be Medic/Marine for all Terran mission until All-In...

Reply Quote
Less is sometimes more. I hated to see my Dimondbacks not getting made because there wasnt any reason to build them because there were so many other units that were better.
Reply Quote
Yeah. I mean, I personally am fine with having more units over less (for more options and replay value), but when the units generally overlap, then some units are almost always going to be weaker than other units with the same role.

They said it was 10-12 base unit types, but then with the evolution it could create 20-25 possible units (or so). This means that there will still be more units than we have now (not counting drones and overlords we have 9 (including queens), so there are going to be more things.

There will also probably be some sort of upgrades for overlords, queens and drones, even if they aren't evolved into other unit types. I mean, they gave upgrades to SCV's, bunkers, turrets and just other buildings.
Reply Quote
Just because they are not giving you as much units as they did terrans in Wol does not been they are crapping out or hate you. They are taking a different approach cause they want to make a new experience. If you think you can do a better job than go for but i really doubt it. Save your words for when the product is out and you've done the campaign before you start saying it sucks
Reply Quote
The thing is, Zerg isn't getting any new units ( in the traditional sense of the word ). I refuse to be drawn into Blizzard cop-out of claiming 'new units' like the Raptor are in fact new units. That way, they can skate on developing and call it "A different direction" They're upgrades.

Which is more accurate?
A new Zerg unit that has 10 more HP than a zergling and a charge-like ability. Or,
A new Zerg upgrade that gives +10 Hp and a charge-like ability to zerglings.

I'm not complaining about what Blizzard has done already. I like these new upgrades and evolutions. What I am complaining about what they haven't done, and how little Blizzard is doing compared to WoL, or at least that's how it seems. It's a lot easier to make an upgrade for an existing unit than to make a completely new unit.

Maybe Blizzard will make some new units to go along with the existing ones in the future, but with the way things are going, I'm not holding my breath.
Edited by Leon on 6/26/2011 9:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Blizzard says that they removed the Lurker, because that Zerg had enough units already.

But the funny thing is, in current multiplayer, Zerg has the least amount of units out of all the races.

Now can we get Lurkers back since I just destroyed Blizzard's reasoning behind removing the Lurker?

thats because Blizz counts things like larvae, overseers, nydus heads, and changlings as units. D:

the excuse that lurkers and banelings filled the same role is lame too... explain ovvy drop and nydus then (though i love nydus)
Reply Quote
06/26/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Leon
The thing is, Zerg isn't getting any new units ( in the traditional sense of the word ).

You do realize that we've only seen a small sampling from 2 missions near the start of the campaign, don't you? It's not like they'd share every detail with everyone when most of it is still speculation and rough idea-craft.

If you think all we're getting is based on 2 campaign missions, then you're going to be sorely disappointed.
Reply Quote
I just find it suspicious that if they are indeed planning brand new units for Zerg that don't include the upgrades like Raptor and Prowlers, they would have shown it for the preview. Nothing builds hype like shiny brand new unit in my eyes. But hey, I could be (and hope I'm) wrong.
Reply Quote
06/29/2011 08:10 AMPosted by Leon
I just find it suspicious that if they are indeed planning brand new units for Zerg that don't include the upgrades like Raptor and Prowlers, they would have shown it for the preview. Nothing builds hype like shiny brand new unit in my eyes. But hey, I could be (and hope I'm) wrong.

They actually don't want to promise something, and then not deliver it. I mean, they may have a lot of ideas, but they're just not sure which ones are going to make the cut. If they present something now, then cut it after a month or two, everyone is going to be begging them to keep it, or wanting to know where it is, or something along those lines.

So they probably aren't showcasing brand new units because they themselves don't have solid enough ideas for new units that they feel comfortable with sharing.

Just my guess.
Reply Quote
06/26/2011 06:41 AMPosted by Jgame
Less is sometimes more. I hated to see my Dimondbacks not getting made because there wasnt any reason to build them because there were so many other units that were better.

They're good tank killers, but they tend to outrun their support.
Reply Quote
It is better to have potential bad news that becomes good then have potential goods that becomes bad. They said 10-12 because if they add more then it will seem great rather than if they said 18-20 and end up having less.
Reply Quote
I think the idea is to increase replay value. There will be lots of different units! probably as many as their where in Wings of Liberty, just you have to pick around 10-12 each play through for you army. That's what they are saying. Not that the Zerg get less units. Also, this helps make it less crazy with so many things and options to build in one mission. I like the idea.
Reply Quote
That's just it, there's no reason NOT to have them in. Sure, maybe they're less useful. So then, don't use them. It's still available for those of us who want to play around with them. A perfect example of this was what SkyWolf just said: Even though he preferred MediVacs, it was nice to see medics. Well, I used Medics almost exclusively myself.

In mutliplayer, sure keep things small and balanced. For singleplayer? Throw in every unit you have, and let me pick what I want.
Reply Quote
As long as there are lots of cool evolutions the low unit count doesn't bother me much. I hope they at least bring back the ones from bw tho.
Reply Quote
for once i hope im just getting trolled and they're actually planing like 50 mission
Reply Quote
thats a bit old....
Reply Quote
Hm...somehow when I read this, I thought it meant having actual diverging paths, meaning locked choices. It would be an awesome and revolutionary customization within an RTS campaign.

We'll have to see if Blizz is actually doing this.
Reply Quote
lol this thread was made back in like may of 2011. This is SO old news, completely outdated by their new info, etc. Just let it die.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]