Ladder units getting tossed..?

Ok, our boy Dustin said that some current ladder units may not appear again HoTS.

So.. which units do you think will get the ax and why? Also, what will replace them if applicable?

Your thoughts?

A few starting points:

Reaper: They already said this was gonna get changed. Other than cliff jump, I suspect the HotS will be unrecognizable to the WoL reaper.

Warp Prism: Also a curious case. Blizz has stated disappointment with its lack of use.

Archon: This unit has seem countless balance changes.
Reply Quote
Overseer: I remember them talking about it.
Reply Quote
Battlecruisers: When was the last time you saw one in a ladder match? I'd hazard a guess warp prisms get used more.

I would like to counter the guess about archons getting removed, precisely because it has seen so many changes. I would think after putting in extra effort in an attempt to balance it, they would be loath to remove it and undo all that work.
Reply Quote
ZERG

Baneling for Lurkerling(Lurker with acid sacs that detonate once killed hitting all in range can also move while burrowed)

Corruptor for Devourer (or in addition to)

Broodlord for SwarmGuardian

Infestor in addition to Defiler

Infested marine for Infested Kamakazee Marine with addition speed and armor

Addition air support (scourge)

Raptors for Zerglings

Changelings for Geolings (Permanently burrowed and able to move while underground)

Addition of Spore colony and Sunken colony In addition to Spore crawler and spine crawler(spine crawler and spore crawler do less damage and have less sight range than the permanently placed Spore and Sunken Colony due to their mobility, Example... Sunken Colony has higher range attack and sight as does Spore Colony)

Creep Tumors spawn 2 per 1 with 10 armor

Can no longer gain speed boost from enemy zerg creep

Protoss

Mothership for Arbitor Or in addition to

Reaver (additional base Defense)Or replacement for collusus With speed upgrade
Scout in addition to Phoenix

Phase Cannon in addition to Photon cannon but cost more for the ability to warp from 1 powerfield to the next almost instantly)

Shuttle for Phase Prism

Terran

Medic In addition to medivac for early game battle when resources are tight

Firebat in addition to Maurader

Hellion for Vulture or in addition to for spider mines

Spectre added (Dark Ops building required Obviously)

Predator (melee unit and because they are freakin awsome)

Valkyrie for Viking (air) More Powerful against air to air

Goliath for viking (grond) More powerful against ground Can no longer target air

Wraith in addition to Banshee

Science Vessel In Addition to Raven for mechanical healing ability

Reply Quote
Curropters: I think they will see a change or be replaced although they are often seen in the ZvP match up they are lacking in utility in comparison to the Pheonix and Viking.
Reply Quote
ZERG
Baneling for Lurkerling(Lurker with acid sacs that detonate once killed hitting all in range can also move while burrowed)
Corruptor for Devourer (or in addition to)
Infestor in addition to Defiler
Creep Tumors spawn 2 per 1 with 10 armor
Can no longer gain speed boost from enemy zerg creep

First, they are not getting rid of Banelings. If anything, they are getting a buff.
They will NOT be bringing back:
Devourer, Difiler, or any other SC1/BW units that they already took out. I miss those units too, but its time to move on.
Creep tumors are already cloaked, they are not getting 10 armour.
Creep is not 'friendly' or 'unfriendly', it is just creep.
And lastly, i doubt they are making that many, if ANY changes on the other races. They might add a unit or two, or balance it out, but there seems little chance of actual change.
Reply Quote
Fallen, if you want sc1, play sc1.
Reply Quote
i'd like to see a source for your information, please, this would be a terrible decision on their part, pros would be mad, newbies would be mad, everyone would be mad, it'd be like blizzard saying they're removing death knights from wow cause people complained.

it's their game, they should not remove content that the rest of the public likes because 10% of the people WHINE like babies about not being able to win easily. UGH. if blizzard continues to be towed around by the nose by whiners, they are going to fail as a company.
Reply Quote
i'd like to see a source for your information, please, this would be a terrible decision on their part, pros would be mad, newbies would be mad, everyone would be mad, it'd be like blizzard saying they're removing death knights from wow cause people complained.

it's their game, they should not remove content that the rest of the public likes because 10% of the people WHINE like babies about not being able to win easily. UGH. if blizzard continues to be towed around by the nose by whiners, they are going to fail as a company.

2011 Zerg Buffs, and Blizzard seems to be doing fine.

Need I say more?
Reply Quote
Corruptors and Overseers are gone.
I don't think they will change much outside getting rid of those two.
Reply Quote

Blizzard's not removing units people deem 'OP' and 'UP', Blizzard is planning to either majorly overhall certain units or get rid of them altogether, on a basis of viability and usefullness, not favor.

For example, Blizzard has expressed that Overseers aren't quite 'sexy enough', or something along those lines. They mentionned disastisfaction that immortals didn't fill their purpose as a tank, and ended up as a powerhouse. They wish the reaper could have been balanced better for the metagame, and it seems likely the reaper is getting an overhaul.

There might be other examples, but it seems HotS is going to have a very different metagame than WoL. You should be happy though. It's possible Protoss's metagame could shift away from sentries and colossi, and given the chance to be extremely offensive early game, quite the opposite of current TvP. Zerg is almost certainly getting a burrowed attacker, which could bring back even more of zerg's immense map control powers from BW.

I'm excited Blizzard has realized to truly correct the mistakes of WoL, some stuff will have to be redone. I think HotS will have a much, MUCH bigger impact on SC2 than BW did to the orignal Starcraft.
Reply Quote
Corruptor, Overseer, Warp Prism, Raven all need remakes imo.
Reply Quote
up armor the marine + 80 life, SCV returns to UED health levels 60 and gains +1 armor, Maruarder gets +2 armor research, Reaper retains jump jets deployes for a jump, looses the high speed ground movement, retains the grenade, gets the +1 range. Ghost if fine, Hellions get dumped for some thing better. Diamond back is added 7 range 250 life + research for ablitive armor. no problems with the siege and thor. Viking with afterburner. Dreadnought

most zerg units seem to work very well. the infestor replace the defiler well , with a better version of the plague. the roach replaces the lurker, but not with a siege tanks range. and there air work well

Protoss: people use the stalker way too much and think they are weak now use some zelots when attacking see no real problem with the collossi. The air power is quite strong if used right some losses to be expected, no of this 1 unit type carrys the field crap you were used to early in. Combined arms is to be expected live with it
Reply Quote
First, certain units are immune to being removed. Take out the warp prism? Seriously? Don't be a dolt, they aren't going to make protoss the only race without a drop ship. It gets underused but I can't imagine some drastically better drop ship that is even remotely likely to be given to protoss. The solution to this is actually to give toss a good harass unit so there's incentive to drop.

I doubt they'll remove much if anything. A couple units might get serious overhauls. The only unit that's even been vaguely mentioned for removal is the overseer, and presumably the removal of the overseer would just be to replace it with something that performs the role of mobile detector but also does something else (although I don't see anyone whining about obs).
Reply Quote
carriers might be replaced cuz no one uses em
Reply Quote
06/23/2011 01:18 PMPosted by Jamesilames
carriers might be replaced cuz no one uses em

Carriers are immune. They are already a reversion to a legacy unit by popular demand after a replacement unit was rejected; Blizzard considers them "iconic" and will never remove them.

However, I do think they need to get fixed.
Reply Quote
Starcraft 2 was so awesome at retail and they knew it was so good they decided to take units out of the ladder Multiplayer. in the expansion That makes complete sense, Blizzard.

Edited by Dreadnaught on 6/23/2011 5:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]