StarCraft® II

Crazy/Dumb Challenge?

Since this has actually become a fairly popular challenge, original post edited with official rules and variants:

Basic rules:

- Basic run is done on Casual difficulty.
- No units of any kind may be trained or built. This includes all combat units and SCVs, and applies to protoss missions as well.
- Acquisition of units by means that do not involve production is allowed. This includes starting units, rescued units in missions that have them, and mind controlled units.
- MULES are permitted as an ability.
- All structures are allowed.
- No blatant cheats or codes are permitted, obviously. Abuse of actual mechanics is permitted.
- Upgrades and tech are allowed.

Special rules and variants:

- All of the above rules apply except upgrades and tech are NOT allowed. Credit to Odin for coming up with this variant and proving it's possible!
- Finish the run with the basic rules but on Normal difficulty.

If someone can actually finish this on Hard difficulty, please let us know, preferably with videos proving your mastery!

Epilogue: Why do this run? For one, because it breathes new life into the campaign by requiring a combination of creative use of structures and above average micro of the few units you start with. For another, it proves that Casual difficulty is not just a joke but an insult even to casual gamers (normal difficulty runs will prove that even that setting is very easy, but moreover will prove that skillful use of what you have can make up for any handicap).

Obviously anyone is welcome to do this challenge or use it for videos or any other media they want, but please either credit myself or link to this thread as the originator of the challenge. I will give you the same respect and credit you with any interesting accomplishments regarding this challenge run.
Edited by TrashMammal on 8/7/2011 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So in other words...Cannot build any more attacking units then what you got, which means you cannot reinforce your troops, cannot get medics for your dying troops and can only make SCV's?

Challenge accepted!
Reply Quote
No SCVs either, you mine with what you start with. MULES are allowed as an ability and all buildings are permitted.
Reply Quote
Can't make workers even? ~gasps~

CHALLENGE STILL ACCEPTED!!
Reply Quote
Wow...I beat the first mar sara mission with 4 clicks of the mouse and 2 keys on the keyboard....in 1:20. Second mission...Same thing pretty much. Clicked my marines to attack and got the medics, sent everything to the base...Everything died. Third..Just made 3 bunkers and waited. Lol. this is so ridiculously easy. Even the Smash and Grab and the Evacuation I did without losing a single unit.
Reply Quote
The day the game came out, for funsies I beat Liberation Day with a single a-move.

I will also take up this challenge, it seems like it has potential.
Reply Quote
DO not do outbreak and think "These bunkers with turrets will hold" Lol. They broke through and wiped out everything except the floating command center. I spent the next 20 minutes taking out 70% of the map with 5 marines and 2 medics. Then one of the marines died and finally the two medics. So whenever night appeared, I ran in circles till it was daylight and attacked the structures. Thankfully I took out all the crawlers. This is actually pretty fun to do.
Reply Quote
Casual without building units? I'm gonna have some fun with this, despite only casual diff...

The hardest mission will be All-In of course, because hey, if outbreak is that hard, imagine what endless waves of real zerg units will be like!
Reply Quote
The reason outbreak was a pain was cuz I screwed up and accidently sent my firebats out without medical support. I thought they were following but...Yeah. <.< But now that I have a Planetary fortress, things have been going way smoother. Just got done with The Dig and only lost one tank.
Reply Quote
Casual without building units? I'm gonna have some fun with this, despite only casual diff...

The hardest mission will be All-In of course, because hey, if outbreak is that hard, imagine what endless waves of real zerg units will be like!

The zerg units won't be the issue, planetary fortress wall ins will protect you easily against the half HP zerg, I think. I believe Kerrigan will be the problem, since you can't make units to attack her and PF do poorly against her. I actually think air version will be better since the mind control =/= making new units hence you can mind control a ton of BLs and use those against her.
Reply Quote
I just played through the diamondback level. All I can say is that bunkers > marauder kill team.

It's sad just how weak everything is in Casual. I took 16 marines + the reinforcements in Zero Hour, and killed every zerg structure.

Still, it's pretty fun, and some levels tougher than others. Outbreak beaten easily in 2 days. Suicide hellions to kill the infestors in time was a good idea, as well as planetary fortresses at each choke.

Welcome to the Jungle was actually fairly difficult with only 3 goliaths, 2 marines, and 5 SCVs. I ended the level with just 4 scv's. Shrike turret bunker is a necessity for this to work.
Reply Quote
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED
Reply Quote
06/17/2011 06:37 PMPosted by Xombie
Wow...I beat the first mar sara mission with 4 clicks of the mouse and 2 keys on the keyboard....in 1:20. Second mission...Same thing pretty much. Clicked my marines to attack and got the medics, sent everything to the base...Everything died. Third..Just made 3 bunkers and waited. Lol. this is so ridiculously easy. Even the Smash and Grab and the Evacuation I did without losing a single unit.

You did it the ridiculously hard way, using roughly 2 times the effort required.

How to not overwork yourself doing mission 1 casual:
1) Select Units
2) Hit "A" and click on end point on mini map.
3) Decide whether you want cake or pie while your units beat the mission.

That would be 2 clicks and 1 keypress, or 3 clicks and 0 keypress.
Reply Quote
06/21/2011 04:39 AMPosted by NiteCore

You did it the ridiculously hard way, using roughly 2 times the effort required.

How to not overwork yourself doing mission 1 casual:
1) Select Units
2) Hit "A" and click on end point on mini map.
3) Decide whether you want cake or pie while your units beat the mission.

That would be 2 clicks and 1 keypress, or 3 clicks and 0 keypress.

The reason for the extra mouse clicks was when I got the extra marines. The first mouse click was boxing my marines and Ranyor and then pressing A to attack the main command center. Then when I got the other group, I did another Box, A move.
Reply Quote
This sounds funny.

I may have to try it after I beat the campaign on brutal.
Reply Quote
06/18/2011 03:07 PMPosted by KarMAzasz
Welcome to the Jungle was actually fairly difficult with only 3 goliaths, 2 marines, and 5 SCVs. I ended the level with just 4 scv's. Shrike turret bunker is a necessity for this to work.

Dude I'm stuck on that one how did you do it?
Reply Quote
06/21/2011 07:34 PMPosted by Galvian

Dude I'm stuck on that one how did you do it?

Remember that shrike turret bunkers are your best friends.

What I did:

Instantly take all your SCVs to mine minerals, and send one out to gather the gas closest to your base. Move your marines and goliaths up to the left, watch out for attacks, and don't forget to grab the research points!

When they start attacking you, keep your units together. Build 2-3 bunkers at the choke to the far left (they're basically free), and those alone hold off enough as you mine out the terrazine there.

Only mine one at a time, or you will suffer unit losses you can't afford! Be sure to keep your goliaths repaired, and even upgrade them if you can get an armory up. Watch for when they attack your base, be sure to have bunkers in position.

Go around the center base, do not try to take it out. Keep your units together and repaired, and be quick about getting the research points. Whenever you take gas (I did the left side 3 then the rest on the right side) put a few bunkers around the area to be safe.

Finally, don't try to stop them from blocking a geyser unless it's one that's on the closest path to you, and for the love of everything SKIRT AROUND THE MIDDLE BASE! It is difficult to destroy with 3 goliaths and 2 marines, and your terrazine SCV's will want to go right through it.

Hope it helps! I guess all I need to say is "I see bunkers everywhere."
Reply Quote
^^^

Unconventional approaches are what this challenge is about. You'll have to find ways to do this outside the box. Sure the enemies are wimps but you'll still have to find a way to actually kill them, and you usually don't start with many units.

There's no building restriction. If it's a structure, you can build as many as you want. And since casual units are so wimpy you don't need reinforced bunkers. Not that you'd have anything to put in them anyway.

Still not sure if perdition turrets or PF are better. Anyone tried one or the other? On the one hand PF solves all your wall in needs forever, on the other perdition turrets have to be delightfully fun to abuse.
Reply Quote
Perdition Turrets have better damage, and are cloaked until they fire. Planetary Fortresses have slower attacks, but have a longer range and much more HP/armor.

However, planetary fortresses are much larger, more expensive, and take longer to build. However, the more expensive part doesn't really matter, seeing as how you aren't spending much money elsewhere anyway.
Edited by KarMAzasz on 6/22/2011 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]