StarCraft® II

The Hitchhiker's Guide to Cortex Roleplay

Wrote this all this morning, might as well post it...

Contents

1. Introduction
2. Gameplay Summary
3. The Game
a. Commands
1a. @spawn
2a. @addweapon/@removeweapon
3a. Aliases
4a. When in doubt, Search!
5a. Beware!
b. Terrain
1b. The Cities
2b. Caves
3b. The Roads
4b. The Interior
c. The Objects
4. Theme
a. Cast Your Vote
b. The Themes
5. The Dangers
a. Known Troll Chieftains
6. Conclusion

Introduction
I am writing this guide, mainly, to help clarify this game mod we call “Cortex Roleplay” and its many facets. Cortex Roleplay creates a blank slate on which we may write nearly anything. For those who are new to this game, feel free to skip down to the “Commands” section for some basic guidelines on commands. This guide attempts to offer a deeper insight into this mod in general as well as its many possibilities. I do not work with Cortex's team or create maps using this engine. It is not in any way related to the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which may be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hitchhiker%27s_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Gameplay Summary
Cortex Roleplay is a game mod that imposes almost no restrictions on your creativity. Aside from a finite selection of commands (not in any way limited, but finite), the terrain on which you build, and a range of units and objects to choose from, the ability of Cortex Roleplay is only limited by your own imagination and creativity. Create massive armies and duel with fully leveling heroes. Create intricate storylines and defeat hordes of enemies. Build large, self-sufficient cities and guide your chosen hero(es) through a limitless world. It's all there in Cortex Roleplay.

The Game
Not all Cortex maps are equal. Maps, especially those by different authors, will have differing selections of objects and commands. Perhaps most importantly, all maps have different terrain, which is the only variable in Cortex that you cannot manipulate at all.

Commands
Cortex commands are one-of-a-kind. At the beginning of a game in Cortex 2.0, players begin with a spawner in the center of the map. One player, generally the host from the lobby, becomes an administrator for the game. In this section, a few of the more helpful commands will be detailed. It will help newer players get started in creating their world with others. For a more complete list of commands, visit http://wiki.cortexrp.com/index.php?title=List_of_commands

@spawn
The first of the Cortex commands, @spawn allows you to create any unit from the provided selection. Some Cortex maps will have custom-made units or those from Left 2 Die. To use, simply type @spawn (unit) (# of units) (player color). For example:
@spawn marine – spawns a marine at the location of your spawner.
@spawn siege tank 3 – spawns 3 siege tanks at the location of your spawner.
@spawn mara 10 @hostile – spawns 10 marauders at your spawner and gives them to the hostile computer.
Note that in the above example, marauder was not spelled out. If, when typing a @spawn command, you give part of the unit name unique to your unit, it will recognize the name and spawn your unit. Beware, however: typing @spawn mari spawns a marine, but @spawn mar spawns a marauder. Know your unit-names.

@addweapon/@removeweapon
Arguably the most useful command in Cortex Roleplay, @addweapon allows you to add any weapon in the game to your selected unit(s). For example:
@addweapon Diamondback – adds the Eviscerator Railgun to the selected unit(s).
@addweapon Brutalize – adds the Brutalize (from the Brutalisk) to the selected unit(s).
Note that, in the first example, the name of the unit was typed to add the weapon. For the majority of the weapons, however, this feature is not present. @addweapon Brutalisk, for example, does not add Brutalize to your unit(s). Also note that when adding or removing weapons, you must type the full name of the weapon, or else it will not register as a weapon.
To remove a weapon from your selection that you don’t want, the process is nearly the same:
@removeweapon marine – removes the C-14 impaler gauss rifle from the selected unit(s).
In all aspects, removing a weapon is the same as adding a weapon, except the effect is opposite.

Aliases
Alias comes from the Latin adjective Alius, Alia, Aliud, which means “Another.” indeed, when you create an alias in Cortex, it allows you to use one word to stand for another. For example:
alias create sp @spawn – creates the alias “sp” and designates it to mean “@spawn”
sp marine – spawns one marine.
Alias remove sp – destroys the alias “sp” so that it no longer converts to “@spawn”
Check your current functional aliases at any time by typing “Alias List.”

When in doubt, Search!
Search is the best tool for the job when using Cortex Roleplay. Simple to use, a search will always clarify why you can't spawn a specific unit or add a weapon. For those who have worked with the editor, Search does not actually turn up a unit's name, but its ID. Searches are always in this format: “Search (category) (keyword).” for example:
Search unit Marine – brings up a list of Units with the word Marine in their ID's. Searches are not case-sensitive and the search would have been the same if I had written marine rather than Marine. A line of text at the bottom of the results will inform you if there are more results. Simply type “search” to see another page of these results.

Beware!
When using the commands in Cortex Roleplay, keep in mind that you are not the only one using the engine (unless you entered a game alone). You must respect the other people who are in your game. People tend to get angry when you storm their base with an army of MMM that your spawned 3 seconds ago. Or if you scale all your units up to the max, blotting out the sun and preventing anyone else from working. At all times during Cortex, make sure you are not disrupting the people working alongside you unless it's part of a role-play story. Most administrators do not hesitate to drop the banhammer if you are annoying them constantly or manufacturing hordes of overpowered units. Using units from lore or from real life may also get you banned or removed, as determined by the host.

The Terrain
Good terrain makes good role-players. The more exciting and lively the terrain is, the more likely those in the game will be inspired to role-play. It's a fact I've learned from many months of play. Several aspects make up the terrain and its inspirational qualities. I've chosen the map Cortex Roleplay – Mar Sara for its excellent terrain. It displays good qualities in all four of the below categories.

The Cities
Having good places for cities helps role-players make good cities. With better cities come better role-playing. If a map is bare or filled with forest and does not have a lot of places to put buildings and pathways, it is not likely to attract role-players into making cities. The more spots that make good cities, the more cities will pop up that the players can interact with.

Caves
Having the option to build a good cave network is crucial. Caves not only add another dimension to the map, it enables escape routes and hidden attacks to ensue. When trapped on a cliff on the verge of dying, it's good for the main bad guy to have the chance to escape.

The Roads
Roads are amazing. Not only do they allow you to get from place to place, it is an easy way to set up roadblocks and challenges for heroes. Roads are an essential part of and roleplaying game.

The Interior
While not crucial, sections of the map set off as “interior” are good to add to a map. They can add yet another dimension to an otherwise very good map. Without interior, however, the chance to go inside buildings to talk to other players is missing. Also, more intricate role-play stories would not be possible.

The Objects
I would say “The Units” but that's not all that is here. On different maps there are different selections of units, but not just that. Also, weapons and other objects, such as models, are different in different Cortex maps. While in my mind this section is of lesser importance than the Terrain or the Commands, it is still important for a fun role-playing experience.

Theme
The “Theme” makes up an immense part of a Cortex Roleplay game, as it offers some guidance to the players as far as how to go about building. Overall, the theme can have a large impact on the game itself, but it is really guided by the players themselves.

Cast Your Vote
While some hosts will pick the theme outright at the beginning of a game, others prefer that the players hold a vote in order to decide how the game will ensue. This usually entails placing 2 or more beacons at a designated spot on the map, somehow indicating what each beacon represents, and inviting players to place a unit on the beacon representing the theme of your choice. The theme with the most votes generally wins and the host will wrap up and tell the players to commence building.

The Themes
Here is a short list of the more common themes and their description.
Infestation – the Zerg have infested the planet, but some factions fight back against them.
Zombie Invasion/Zerg Invasion – a powerful force of Zerg/Zombies (infested) have arrived on the planet, forcing the factions (warring or no) to band together to stop them.
Factions – Several equally powerful rival factions battle it out for supremacy on the planet.
Rebels vs. Government – The treatment of a harsh government has caused a faction of poorly-armed but determined rebels to rise against them.
Hero RP – a band of heroes travel around the world, defeating enemies and exploring cities.
Crash – having recently crashed on the planet, your people struggle to survive. But there are others...
Bacon - ???

The Dangers
Some of those who come to Cortex Roleplay insist on trolling and aggravating the heck out of people. There are two classes of these, Trolls and Troll Chieftains. While Troll Chieftains are significantly more annoying, all Trolls are an abomination upon the earth. Most Trolls have an amazingly large ego and always believe you are inferior to them. Get help from an administrator when dealing with them.

Known Troll Chieftains TAKE NOTE. THIS INFORMATION IS OUT OF DATE.
Being a player of Cortex Roleplay and a philosopher at heart, I have taken the liberty to compile a list of the Troll Chieftains that have been identified to my knowledge, and a short description of each. Names of the Troll Chieftains are case-sensitive. Troll Chieftains are too insecure to appoint moderators unless otherwise noted.
FireStorm – This Chieftain bans people for no reason at all during games, and when he is not admin or he is in danger of being banned, he will use a special alias to immediately force all people out of the game, called “HappyTime.” He also refuses to use logic at any time during the game, relying instead on his sense of superiority.

Mauroc – This Chieftain is docile until he becomes administrator of any game in Cortex Roleplay. He will then insist upon holding a vote for the theme. Because of his intense sense of order, he sees fit to disable all other players' commands, thus preventing them from speaking. He then “forgets” that he disabled their commands and demands that they vote. He subsequently leaves because nobody wants to vote for the theme, leaving the entire assembly helpless.

makeroflight – This Chieftain insists on not using the !seeall command as administrator, thus not revealing the map. Also, he pretends he is AFK both in the lobby and during the game. If anyone openly insults him for being AFK, he immediately bans that person, then goes back to pretending to be AFK. He is also the only known Chieftain secure enough to appoint moderators. However, if one of these moderators announces his/her intention to use the !seeall command, makeroflight will immediately say “NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU” and ban him or her. Thus shrouding the world in darkness forever unless explored.

Feel free to post if you have evidence of another Troll Chieftain, and I will add to the list. Please include a short description of him or her.

Conclusion
Countless people find Cortex Roleplay a very fun game. Trolls themselves are a rare occurrence and many games are played peacefully. Have fun playing Cortex Roleplay!
Edited by iamakiller on 2/19/2012 8:51 PM PST
Reply Quote
there are also trolls that immediately when they join games spawn dead drakken laser drills all over the map forcing people to lag majorly and leave
Reply Quote
and they're HUGE
Reply Quote
I object, I've played many a game with Firestorm and have yet to see him troll. He may ban people for what most would not see as a reason, but in reality they would hinder the RP.
Reply Quote
The alias Happytime is dead. I now just leave. Your type of logic is note mine. ANd I never baned people for no reason. You may not realize this but there is a host command called !trolls on, when used it instantly tells you of any unit/action that is threatening. I tend to ban without warning as once you make me grumpy I don't give chances. (Never warn a troll that's when they end up using game enders is when you say your going to ban before you ban)

My logic is not yours. Simple as that. I haven not trolled since a few weeks before anti was taken down. I am reforming but when people urk me its just so hard not to screw them up.

On Themes - Themes are restrictive at best. Its better to set an era/back story of the area and such/setting then the characters can grow in to a role rather than just starting out in there role as Mary sues. An example setting might be Earth/100 years post apoc/The ruins of New York.
Reply Quote
BTW Cortex has its own forum and there is a ton of resources there and helpful people there as well. There is also jerks, but there are jerks everywhere.
http://www.cortexrp.com/forums/

Before you post read this

http://www.cortexrp.com/forums/announces/read-this-before-posting-t560.html
Reply Quote
I am not included in the list of trolls? D:
Also, Mauroc is a great roleplayer, as much as I am sure FireStorm is (If I would ever play with him without banning him)

The Terrain
Good terrain makes good role-players. The more exciting and lively the terrain is, the more likely those in the game will be inspired to role-play. It's a fact I've learned from many months of play. Several aspects make up the terrain and its inspirational qualities. I've chosen the map Cortex Roleplay – Mar Sara for its excellent terrain. It displays good qualities in all four of the below categories.

The Cities
Having good places for cities helps role-players make good cities. With better cities come better role-playing. If a map is bare or filled with forest and does not have a lot of places to put buildings and pathways, it is not likely to attract role-players into making cities. The more spots that make good cities, the more cities will pop up that the players can interact with.

Caves
Having the option to build a good cave network is crucial. Caves not only add another dimension to the map, it enables escape routes and hidden attacks to ensue. When trapped on a cliff on the verge of dying, it's good for the main bad guy to have the chance to escape.

The Roads
Roads are amazing. Not only do they allow you to get from place to place, it is an easy way to set up roadblocks and challenges for heroes. Roads are an essential part of and roleplaying game.

The Interior
While not crucial, sections of the map set off as “interior” are good to add to a map. They can add yet another dimension to an otherwise very good map. Without interior, however, the chance to go inside buildings to talk to other players is missing. Also, more intricate role-play stories would not be possible.

Looking Nice =/= Good Roleplaying. One could just as easily litter a cave with corpses as they could simply state : "The cave glistens with the blood of freshly slain multitudes of faceless soldiers, frozen in their final moments of glory or pitiful struggle."

Theme
The “Theme” makes up an immense part of a Cortex Roleplay game, as it offers some guidance to the players as far as how to go about building. Overall, the theme can have a large impact on the game itself, but it is really guided by the players themselves.

Theme is simply an idea of the Setting. The only 3 things you need for a successful roleplaying session are Characters, a Setting and a Conflict/Plot. Theme is much too vague a term to describe what needs to be established.
/endragetime
Reply Quote
Lol.....

FireStorm isn't a troll. XD

You on the other hand, are... a complete fool.

Maybe you all just suck at RP? :P
Reply Quote
Oh lawdy lawd
Reply Quote
┻━┻ ︵ヽ(°□°)ノ︵ ┻━┻
Reply Quote
Clearly this is a thread to be preserved for future lulz.
I applaud you, OP. You are now one of the Troll Chieftains.
(slow clap)
Reply Quote
OP is either a troll or a person with little actual knowledge about Cortex and role-playing. Either way, OP is stupid and should not have posted this.

Please use the actual Cortex forum for Cortex Role-play related stuff:
Reply Quote
What seems to be the problem here? ^^
Reply Quote
08/12/2011 02:37 PMPosted by TheLostAzn
Oh lawdy lawd

08/12/2011 04:34 PMPosted by Delirium
┻━┻ ︵ヽ(°□°)ノ︵ ┻━┻

OP is either a troll or a person with little actual knowledge about Cortex and role-playing. Either way, OP is stupid and should not have posted this.

BTW Cortex has its own forum and there is a ton of resources there and helpful people there as well. There is also jerks, but there are jerks everywhere.

Before you post read this

http://www.cortexrp.com/forums/announces/read-this-before-posting-t560.html

I seem to sense a trend...
Reply Quote

Yes, that would be most excellent.

Thank you, Xethyr, and Firestorm, for the forum links.
Reply Quote
Piekan is the Cortex forum moderator. He is wise and kind and dose good at locking down trolls and flame wars.

The cortex forum needs new blood that is willing to learn and grow.

If you come however please don't beg about the walloffire unit. It is here to stay and it DOSE serve a purpose. Its purpose don't come up much in what is know to forum goers as "pubs" (The public game that can be joined by anyone). But it has many uses. It gets old seeing peoples first posting being OMG GET RID OF IT! Its a good way to get people to not like you.
Reply Quote
I sincerely doubt terrain has as much effect on an rp as you state. Personally, I have had brilliant rps where the only features used was a campfire. Furthermore Desert Installation was a favorite of mine, due to the open expanses.

But ironically Firestorm is quite a good rper, despite for his slightly impared spelling and grammer, which I believe will fix itself in the future. I know several people who are ban happy, just because they know how to establish a successful public.
Reply Quote
How am I not up there? >>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]