StarCraft® II

Will it be worth getting?

Centering the story around Kerrigan just seems to downgrade the whole experience of the game. I've heard some rumors about a new race, and I'm torn. Just want to know will it be worth buying?
Edited by chromesddm on 6/29/2011 7:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Kerrigan will be the "main character," however the scope of power Kerrigan has is MUCH bigger than that of Raynor and his small group.

Raynor darted around the sector, here and there, doing quick stop-overs and raids. Kerrigan will be staying at the worlds she visits for 2-3 missions each, and it will truly feel more like conquering the sector, rather than just stealing artifacts and whatnot.

Also, I have only heard a few ranting players asking for a 4th race. That's not even a rumor, that's just a few desperate complaints. There will almost surely only be the current 3 races, however they all will probably be getting updates and whatnot, to keep things fresh.

Heart of the Swarm will be more like an expansion pack, rather than a standalone game, so expect your experience to go along the same line as that.
Reply Quote
06/29/2011 07:42 AMPosted by KarMAzasz
Kerrigan will be staying at the worlds she visits for 2-3 missions each,

Wait, where did Blizzard say this? If it's true that's a godsend.
Reply Quote
Kerrigan will be staying at the worlds she visits for 2-3 missions each,

Wait, where did Blizzard say this? If it's true that's a godsend.

Yeah. Can't remember which interview, but if you think about it, it makes more sense for the Zerg to be more long-term conquest.

I mean, for example, take Khaldir. The mission that was showcased had another mission following it, which wasn't showcased, but happened on the same planet. Plus, there's a lot more to do on Char than gather a few baneling eggs and take down a rogue brood mother.
Edited by KarMAzasz on 6/29/2011 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
---Possible Spoilers!---

I love Starcraft, and love the idea of more Starcraft games. However, tbh, I'm not that interested in playing as the Zerg in a campaign. Please give me more Terran missions! More Raynor, UED, Mengsk, etc! Yes, I understand it's largely going to be centered around the Zerg, but since it looks like Raynor and Kerrigan are friendly again, why not at least give us the OPTION TO CHOOSE to play the campaign commanding either Raynor's forces OR Kerrigan's forces to achieve a given objective? Since the Zeratul-protoss faction may have an interest in Kerrigan's fate as well, perhaps a protoss option could also make sense.

There are a lot of angles Blizz could take with this, but tbh almost any of them are probably more interesting to me than a "zerg-only" single player experience. I'd also like more emphasis on the whole being-able-to-research-new-units feature they implemented in WoL. That was really nice..

And plus, adding this Terran option would add tremendous replay value to the expansion pack, because then you could play it through once as Zerg, AND once as Terran. It just adds more variety and replay-value to the game IMO.
Edited by temps on 7/2/2011 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You realize that's like saying that Protoss fans should be asking for more Protoss mission. If you remember in the 1st Starcraft, each race had it's set of missions. WoL was the Terran missions, HotS will be the Zerg mission. You want more Terran missions, download some, because you are asking the Zerg section to be about Terrans just because you like Terrans.
Reply Quote
--Possible Spoilers!--

07/02/2011 04:24 PMPosted by CaptRaynor
You realize that's like saying that Protoss fans should be asking for more Protoss mission.

Not really, because as I mentioned before, it was pretty clear from the WoL ending that Raynor would be (at least to some extent) interested in keeping Kerrigan alive, and he might even be VERY interested in keeping her alive if he truly believes she's a reformed individual. Therefore, it isn't really the same, because it actually makes sense that there would be lots more involvement by Raynor's Raiders.

If you remember in the 1st Starcraft, each race had it's set of missions. WoL was the Terran missions, HotS will be the Zerg mission. You want more Terran missions, download some, because you are asking the Zerg section to be about Terrans just because you like Terrans.

Yeah, but Terrans are exceptionally cool. If enough people are interested, who cares if each faction has an equal amount of missions? What matters is that more customers get what they want out of the game. If Blizzard thinks they can add more Terran missions to HoTS, that they can make it work with the game's story, and also satisfy more customers, there is really no reason they shouldn't do it as near as I can tell - provided it doesn't cause any kinds of problems.
Reply Quote

Yeah, but Terrans are exceptionally cool. If enough people are interested, who cares if each faction has an equal amount of missions? What matters is that more customers get what they want out of the game. If Blizzard thinks they can add more Terran missions to HoTS, that they can make it work with the game's story, and also satisfy more customers, there is really no reason they shouldn't do it as near as I can tell - provided it doesn't cause any kinds of problems.

Yeah, but I really like Terrans. If I want it, who cares if Zerg gets shafted in their expansion? I want terran missions. herpderp I want terran missions i want terran missions lookatmeiwantterranmissions asdfasdf
Reply Quote
--Possible Spoilers!--

You realize that's like saying that Protoss fans should be asking for more Protoss mission.

Not really, because as I mentioned before, it was pretty clear from the WoL ending that Raynor would be (at least to some extent) interested in keeping Kerrigan alive, and he might even be VERY interested in keeping her alive if he truly believes she's a reformed individual. Therefore, it isn't really the same, because it actually makes sense that there would be lots more involvement by Raynor's Raiders.

If you remember in the 1st Starcraft, each race had it's set of missions. WoL was the Terran missions, HotS will be the Zerg mission. You want more Terran missions, download some, because you are asking the Zerg section to be about Terrans just because you like Terrans.

So you only care about Terrans and want to deny 2/3's of the fanbase of the race they like. Why didn't the Zerg fans get more time in the Terran campaign? Please, think about this from the view point of fans of the other races, it's selfish to only want your race. And when you say, who cares if all the races get equal time, well fans of the Protoss and Zerg, that's who. You sound very immature and selfish when you only want the race you like. When, or if, you played the original and the expansion, did you just skip the races you didn't like?
Reply Quote
--Possible Spoilers!--

So you only care about Terrans and want to deny 2/3's of the fanbase of the race they like.

Lets not go putting words in my mouth pls. I never said I didn't care about the rest of the fanbase. But I think the significant point is that if a clear majority of the fanbase wants more Terran missions, and the number who are interested in Zerg missions is a noteably smaller proportion, yes - Blizzard should want to please both, but perhaps it's not such a terrible thing if Blizzard diverts a larger share of development time catering to what the larger portion of their audience wants.

Granted, I don't want the Zerg community to leave in droves because Zerg is part of what makes Starcraft as a whole what it is as we know it. But that also doesn't mean that if the number of people who strongly desire more Zerg missions (hypothetically) amounted to a mere 15-25% of the fanbase - that Blizzard needs to or should spend an equal amount of time creating a single player experience for this relatively small portion of the overall fanbase.

Instead, Blizzard should aim to please the largest number of people possible, and first work to secure the dollars of the (again, we're talking hypothetically here) majority who are interested in additional Terran/Protoss content. As I said earlier, I don't want Zerg players to leave the franchise, clearly. But I think it would be even worse if large numbers of the (again, hypothetical) majority interested in Terran/Protoss missions left the franchise due to disinterest in a pure-Zerg single-player experience.

Why didn't the Zerg fans get more time in the Terran campaign? Please, think about this from the view point of fans of the other races, it's selfish to only want your race.

Well if Zergs are a small minority of the fanbase, it makes sense that less development time is spent on missions catering singularly to them. Again, I agree HoTS should be largely Zerg-focused to keep some amount of interest in Zerg players - nobody wants them to just leave the franchise. But that said, there's also nothing wrong with throwing in some additional token missions or OPTIONS for the hypothetical majority who may favor an alternative to "Zerg-only" for this expansion.

You sound very immature and selfish when you only want the race you like. When, or if, you played the original and the expansion, did you just skip the races you didn't like?

I played the original and its expansion - and I played all of the campaigns. As I've said many times before, I am not saying I have no interest whatsoever in HoTS. I'm not even saying it should no longer be Zerg-focused. I'm merely saying that if the Terrans and or Protoss are a serious majority and they want features added to HoTS to cater to them, adding in some choices to keep them happy and on board with HoTS is probably a good idea.

It doesn't necessarily make sense to spend an equal amount of time making single-player gametime for minority audiences and ignoring requests of the majority of the playerbase. Hypothetically, if 80% of SC2 players were interested in either Terran or Protoss, do you still think it makes sense to spend an equal amount of development effort and dollars on an expansion that caters to that minority that, in this hypothetical, plays Zerg? I think not. What makes sense is to give the Zergs their expansion to keep them on board, but Blizzard should do something to ensure that the majority in that case that is interested in Terran/Protoss gameplay remains on board.
Edited by temps on 7/2/2011 8:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So you think its selfish that HotS should be Zerg-centric, yet you want more Terran content. Cool story.

Here's a few radical concepts.
1) HotS may actually increase Zerg's popularity, to the point where more people want to play as Zerg.

2) Zerg is obviously the best and most fun race to play. Why should blizzard spend so much time on such a lame race like Terran? Pretty selfish if you ask me.

3) Don't buy HotS. If you want Terran missions, play WoL. Or, try to enjoy playing as Zerg - like how the rest of us were forced to play as Terran in WoL.

You try to hide behind the 'Please the greatest number of people' argument, but in reality, this is still just one long, elaborate "More Terran missions" plea.
Reply Quote
Heres how i look at it zerg want a zerg campaign most protoss hate terran and want to play a diffrent race in campaign 2/3 races want more zerg, yet the terran say they're the majority and should get what they want. um HELL NO, if theres one terran mission in Legacy of the void or Heart of the Swarm im gonna be pissed at blizzard
Reply Quote
Im sure there will be 3-4 terran missions on Hots like the protoss missions in Wol. But this is a ZERG expo Terrans had their game, now it's our turn.
Reply Quote
07/03/2011 12:11 AMPosted by Ragnarok
Im sure there will be 3-4 terran missions on Hots like the protoss missions in Wol. But this is a ZERG expo Terrans had their game, now it's our turn.

That sounds like a very reasonable compromise, and probably would make sense considering SC2's ending.
Reply Quote
Nothing anyone says here will sway any of blizzards decisions on what they will add and not add to HotS, they are too far in production and have already decided to make exclusively Zerg missions on this expansion. It would be a big step backwards if they tried to change that because it would greatly extend production time and wouldn't make any sense because WoL has exclusively Terran missions. So people, quit saying you want there to be non-zerg missions on HotS. Sorry if that sounds hostile in any way.
Reply Quote
Ya lets get a game that the name is "Heart of the SWARM" yet its entirely terran missions instead of zerg ya that sounds awesome......not.
Reply Quote
i could see where temps was going with the argument but leon makes good points except for saying zerg is best its his own opinion its best, but it could give zerg more players. to think that a race should get more time than another because there are more people playing it is selfish, terran had there campaign, zerg will get theres, then the protoss. besides i dont think it will change anything i think people will buy it regardless of what race it is just to see the campaign and experince it for themselfs.
Reply Quote
Centering the story around Kerrigan just seems to downgrade the whole experience of the game.

no.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]