StarCraft® II

The Protoss

Does anyone else think the Protoss (From a storyline standpoint) are starting to seem kinda weak? I mean there's a really small amount of them left and they haven't been involved in any really important battles lately. I know their technology is vastly superior to the other races, yet time after time they're beaten back and more of their numbers get lost in battle.

Please clarify if i'm wrong (i don't know a huge amount about the lore)
Reply Quote
Their homeworld called Aiur got destroyed in Sc1 and most of them died. Most of their technology, populations and arsenal was obliterated and they are trying to remake a civilization while at War.

They are definitly running through some tough times.
Reply Quote
Well yeah, but that will change (hopefully) in LotV.
Reply Quote
I know they're gonna get their badassedness back some way, I can see one of two ways that's gonna happen.

They're going to regress into some atavistic Protoss that's gonna do away with the nobler part of their culture, and trade it in for some power that's going to give the zerg and Hybrids a run for their money.

They'vw got some ace up their "sleves" we haven't seen yet. But hopefully Kerrigan will be at the recieving end of for some mission, just to show the 'Toss aren't as helpless as they appeared.

I think the Protoss as a race has been on the recieving end of the "Worf Effect" from the last zerg mission of SC1 to Broodwar.
Reply Quote
I know their technology is vastly superior to the other races

Really? They don't even think of making their assimilator auto-harvest the vespene gas when they are capable to do that....Plus, they cannot even create something similar like Orbital Command Center (e.g. scan).

Beside the warping technology, Terran technology is way better/effective than Protoss technology. Protoss need to hire Terran scientist if they want to build their planet. It only took Mengsk a few years to make Korhal one of the most advanced/wealthy planet in the galaxy...while Protoss is still being a fugitive.
Edited by DinoPlanta on 7/5/2011 4:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
07/05/2011 04:24 AMPosted by DinoPlanta

Really? They don't even think of making their assimilator auto-harvest the vespene gas when they are capable to do that....Plus, they cannot even create something similar like Orbital Command Center (e.g. scan).

Beside the warping technology, Terran technology is way better/effective than Protoss technology. Protoss need to hire Terran scientist if they want to build their planet. It only took Mengsk a few years to make Korhal one of the most advanced/wealthy planet in the galaxy...while Protoss is still being a fugitive.

um no like no your looking at this from a gameplay standpoint not lore, the protoss are the most technologically advanced race out of the 3 they can move matter through light years of space and move living organisms from parsecs away and have massive war machnies that can wreck havoc on everything, colossus, and the mothership from lore, however the species is slowly dying, scan uses very basic technology from protoss standards the protoss would rather have a unit that itself is cloaked and can detect cloaked units. scan is basically a temporary themal scope for the marines, even if a dark templar or burrowed zerg unit can not be seen they still give off heat, and obviously cloaked mechanical units give off heat as they run
Reply Quote
07/05/2011 04:24 AMPosted by DinoPlanta

You sir do not know your lore.
Reply Quote
Protoss assimilators already auto-harvest gas. Probes are nothing but robots, after all.
Reply Quote
Protoss are just here to merge with the Zerg into the next generation of Xel'Naga :D
Reply Quote
One thing i want to clarify is that this is NOT from a gameplay viewpoint...
Reply Quote
The Protoss are a classic sci-fi archetype -

An extremely advance alien civilization [ that's why they're still around ] who are shadows of their former Golden-age selves. They struggle to survive based on their upheld sense of pride and grandeur. The problem is that's partly the cause of their civil war and THAT's what's keepin' 'em down...

They did "rediscover" the Colossus in WoL...

I fore see them resolving their issues and reforming a new, stronger Protoss for their expansion to the series. It's gonna rock!
Reply Quote
I have a feeling tassadar and fenix will return in some sort of spirit form as salvation for the protoss.
Reply Quote
I still don't understand how a marauder grenade does more dmg than the antimatter shot of a stalker. but whatever, balance and lore are different...
Reply Quote

except there not shadows of there former selves, there far more advanced and powerful

You might want to look into the Zerg invasion of Aiur, where billions of the Protoss were killed and much of the Protoss technology was wiped out. The Protoss are much weaker than they were in the SC1 timeline.

One advantage that they did gain, however, is that the main Protoss population reconnected with the dark templar on Shakuras. Still, that doesn't make up for the losses that they sustained.

There is a way to solve this however...or not... do protoss make love?
Reply Quote
Its because Blizzard doesnt care about the Protoss.

Terran Campaign = Jim Raynor and revenge against Mengsk, and rescuing of Kerrigan
Zerg Campaign = Redemption and Rediscovery. Rewriting history as a new Queen of Blades
Protoss Campaign = *Blizzard designed to erase them from existence because Jim saved Sarah. What Zeratul saw was true, just replace the Dark Voice with Kerrigan and Raynor, lol.*
Reply Quote
I think that's the entire point of the race. Extremely powerful and you would get massacred in equal numbers against them, but they are very low in numbers and are a dying race.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]