StarCraft® II

Does anyone else think this?

That zerg as a race needs more unit morphs? Not just in single player but multiplayer too?

I think if blizzard really wanted zerg to be a reactionary race it would make more sense.
Give the zerg mediocre units (zergling, roach, hydra, muta) but give them reactionary morphs. We already have a slight form of this with zerglings turning into banelings with the right tech.

It would certainly raise the skill level of zerg quite a lot but it could be quite interesting.

This idea hit me after seeing the ridiculous amount of zerg morphs in the campaign.

Think about it like this. You have zerglings and you see marines charging at you. React with baneling morphs.
on the other end, you have lings and you see a siege line you have to break, so you morph them into raptors so they can take the extra hit and close the distance faster.

It would also take back to BW days. If you see capital ships heading your way make devourers out of your mutas. If you needed your own siege air unit build guardians out of your mutas.
Also the good ol hydra > lurker morph.

What do you guys think? or is it too large a change in the meta game to have these crazy notions?
Reply Quote
i think zerglings should morph into banelings should morph into roaches should morph into hydralisks should morph into ultralisks. man this would solve so many problems
Reply Quote
Exactly, makes a whole lotta sense to me, all units should be able to morph into another unit, that's the feel you get when you played broodwar, you felt like a true zerg race ,now they splitting the uses of units into more units which does make sense also, now our overlord doesnt detect anymore, we need to morph it to detect,, you need overseer, and the overseer should have queen's ability in broodwar (parasite) where you can truly spy on an enemy

Reply Quote
I think it's Blizz's way of trying to make each race truly unique to itself and not redrawn copies of the other races... Just my take.
Reply Quote
Wouldn't be OP. This makes a lot of sense. We are suppose to be the reactionary race after all.
Reply Quote
07/08/2011 07:55 PMPosted by Zeratul
Wouldn't be OP. This makes a lot of sense. We are suppose to be the reactionary race after all.
Reply Quote
Roaches morph into hunterling like creatures
Reply Quote
roaches should morph into zergs tank (since they dont really have a unit that would be a tier 2 tank)
Reply Quote
07/09/2011 11:47 AMPosted by WarDwarf
roaches should morph into zergs tank (since they dont really have a unit that would be a tier 2 tank)

Thats why zerg players have to spam till they get brood lords lol
Reply Quote
Drones <-> Spies/scouts in a reversible morph! Basically a dedicated scout. I envision the zerg version would be a tiny 1 hp low flying quick moving insect that would be difficult to notice & target.

Zerglings -> Banelings, & can upgrade so that they can jump like raptors just not as long for multiplayer. Just enough to get over each other & other path blocking units.

Queens <-> flying queens in a reversible morph! Sacrificing the inject larvae ability for more mobility to be better able to support front line forces. mabey losing their attack abilities until they morph back. Mabey being able to infect (I hate the term infest) things.

Roaches -> Lurkers, If lurkers are going to work in SC2 they will probably need to be more powerful & more expensive. Mabey they regen like roaches & cannot attack while un-burrowed, then can attack but don't regen while burrowed. Mabey they can move slowly while burrowed. mabey they can dig an accessible yet fragile destructible tunnel other zerg can use.

Hydralisk -> Hunter-killer, The Hydralisk is a centipede, the HK is a millipede, faster more fragile, shooting many more projectiles that do individually less damage. Mabey with a bonus to armor, mabey with an area of effect.

Mutalisk -> something that can suicide the mutalisk to deny one other air unit. Mutas are no match for anything else that fly's one on one, but rather than losing a flock of mutas what if you could incur the cost of some resources to arrest an individual enemy air unit? Mabey the muta just gums up the unit to delay it for a given amount of time, mabey the muta bonds to the unit & will need to be shot off, causing some ratio of HP damage to the bound unit for every HP the muta has.

Corruptors -> Broodlords, although I do think corruptors should have upgrades that make them more devourer like in their effectiveness.

Infesters <-> defilers in a reversible morph! The zerg need something to give the roach hydra ball ramp busting Hive tech power that is in line with the range upgrade instead of all melee. A burrow moving defiler with a hybrid dark-swarm & plague aura type ability would be perfect to support & boost roach hydra balls which are really not effective in the late game currently.

Ultralisks -> Brutalisks. I don't know it there's a point to this but mabey the defining trait of a brutalisk is that it become increasingly tolerant to anything its exposed to. So it would bot be massive, armored, light or anything specifically, if it kills marines that it gradually gets better at killing marines specifically as opposed from any other unit. It it takes damage from marines but doesn't die mabey it gets more tolerant to marine damage.

This is written just for fun, I'm not really trying to demand or predict. I do think every zerg unit should have a morph to bring their generalized form to a specialized form. It's like a housecat having the power to choose to moph into a cheetah or a lion based on its needs. In order for blizzard o balance these kinds of things they have many tools. For instance the individual cost of the morph per unit & the stats of the before & after units, but also the method & cost of getting to the morph.
For instance.
The Baneling can only be made after a baneling nest is made this is a separate building from the spawning pool altogether & requires the cost of an additional drone.
The BW lurker required only a simple upgrade in the Hydra den. A scout would not know with vision of the zerg base if there were lurkers available until a direct sight of the lurkers or eggs was made.
The B-lord or BW devourer required the spire to be morphed into a greater spire. That used the same building without costing a new drone, but could be easily scouted.
Reply Quote
Drones <-> Spies/scouts in a reversible morph! Basically a dedicated scout. I envision the zerg version would be a tiny 1 hp low flying quick moving insect that would be difficult to notice & target.

So basically a flying changeling?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]