Better not see any story shenanigans!

Bliz, it's time we have a talk.

A talk about certain story elements that it's time to move on from, upward and onward to new things.

Everyone you thought was evil was good everyone you thought was good was evil

This is just getting silly. First we had bloodthirsty orcs turning out to be really swell guys who were just being controlled by demons from space. Then we had noble humans turning out to be a-holes who were being controlled by underground sleeping dragons. Next up was the rotting corpses of the undead turning out to be isolationists who were being controlled by the frozen spirit of an orc (who was controlling a human prince) who was being controlled by demons from space.

Long before Starcraft 2 came out, I jokingly predicted that it would turn out the zerg were really good guys who were just forced to be evil by some big mean space demon. This turned out to be the actual plot.

Come on, guys. At this rate, Diablo 3 is going to teach us that Diablo and his brothers are really Santa Claus and his elves being controlled by evil Lard Golems from the 9th dimension and Tyrael was really working for an evil race of phantom termites.

Let's let this thing go. Not every plot point has to be a switcheroo!

Kerrigan waffling

Kerrigan goes from good to evil to pretend good tricking the heroes back to evil back to good again and I'm going to scream if Jim is stupid enough to be tricked a second time when she goes all genocidal bipolar again.

You know, Kerrigan is actually the least interesting aspect of the Starcraft story. Remember when the zerg campaign had you as a cerebrate working for the Overmind? That dude was cool! All hail the overmind!

Then he died, and we had to go work for some pretentious goth chick (not to be confused with the formerly good hero turned pretentious goth Arthus).

Remember the Borg from Star Trek? How the most terrifying thing about them was being assimilated into a soulless hive collective free of individuality? Remember how they were completely ruined by the introduction of a pretentious goth queen leading them? You see where I'm going with this?

I'd honestly be kind of psyched if this happened to Kerrigan in the intro:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEzjm7I5YCQ#t=1m15s

Hang out at a rehab clinic

Do some research. See how real alcoholics act, because Jim Raynor is no haunted drunk.

If not possible, at least watch Saul Tigh on Battlestar Galactica and take some notes.

No Deus Ex Machina

Let's think up some fun, organic story element for the ending! We've done the "magical artifact comes out of nowhere and effortlessly kills the ultimate bad guy" for both Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2.

Which, incidentally, completely erased any kind of dramatic tension from SC2. The dilemma was supposed to be if Raynor took the safe way out and killed Kerrigan, or (stupidly) try to redeem himself by taking a harder path to saving her. Kind of deflates the whole thing if there's a magical artifact that kills all the zerg AND turns her back to a human.

Climaxes are supposed to be all about dilemma. Story wise, it would have been more fitting for Raynor to have been presented with a choice: activate some artifact to eradicate all zerg from the planet, or take a chance and trust (the force) the prophecy that Kerrigan and the swarm needed to be spared to stop some future threat.

These are all very basic storytelling elements: climaxes need true dilemma, deus ex machina and prophecy are ancient outdated story devices, and twists only work once.
Edited by GrooveChamp on 7/13/2011 10:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've never played Warcraft or Diablo,so they don't count for me.
I am pretty disappointed they got a magic artifact at the end of Wol and deinfested Kerrigan.
But hey, we aren't the ones making the games.
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, not all the Zerg were killed. it only affected the ones at the primary hive. The rest are being eradicated by Warfields Troops.
Reply Quote
Blizzard makes great games but with those games players have come to expect shi*ty stories and horrendous character development. Some part of the SC lore where still undefined and I am fully prepared to have them ruined for me. I would not be surprised that your prediction was true.

07/13/2011 10:30 PMPosted by GrooveChamp
Everyone you thought was evil was good everyone you thought was good was evil

So yes, Zerg will probably end up being good and set free like pretty little birds even though they where trying wipe all life in the universe since the dawn of time.
Reply Quote
Zerg assimilate life, destroying anything unworthy.
Terrans were worthy, so Zerg infested them to conscript them against Protoss.
Protoss and Zerg are supposed to unite to rebirth the Xel'Naga cycle. The Hybrids are an accelerated process gone terribly wrong because some Dark Voice is doing it.

Nothing's changed here. All three races have good guys and bad guys.
Reply Quote
07/13/2011 10:30 PMPosted by GrooveChamp
Remember the Borg from Star Trek? How the most terrifying thing about them was being assimilated into a soulless hive collective free of individuality? Remember how they were completely ruined by the introduction of a pretentious goth queen leading them? You see where I'm going with this?

No. Even though I disliked the Borg Queen myself, that alone cannot change the fact that First Contact is one of the most successful ST movies ever as well as a fan favorite.

If anything, Kerrigan's desinfestation and the Overmind's revealed "innocence" are more reminiscent of pre-First Contact stuff, like Locutus and Hugh in TNG as well as Seven of Nine and the "lost" Borg in Voyager.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf on 7/15/2011 4:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/15/2011 04:23 PMPosted by JohnnyZeWolf

No. Even though I disliked the Borg Queen myself, that alone cannot change the fact that First Contact is one of the most successful ST movies ever as well as a fan favorite.

If anything, Kerrigan's desinfestation and the Overmind's "innocence" remind me more of pre-First Contact stuff, like the Hugh arc in TNG and Seven of Nine in Voyager.

I saw it a long time ago but didnt the borg queen try to tempt Data with sex or something like that? i dunno
Reply Quote
Yeah.
Reply Quote
07/15/2011 04:26 PMPosted by Chesty
I saw it a long time ago but didnt the borg queen try to tempt Data with sex or something like that? i dunno

She tried to tempt him with flesh. I distinctly remember a scene where she grafted some Human skin onto him so that he could feel what Humans feel.
Reply Quote
07/15/2011 06:45 PMPosted by Fors

She tried to tempt him with flesh. I distinctly remember a scene where she grafted some Human skin onto him so that he could feel what Humans feel.

Now i remember she was trying to get him to betray all the humans and work for the borg cuz she couldnt assimilate him
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]