StarCraft® II

Dong Rae Gu

So I have heard numersous times that DongRaeGu is sickeningly good at ZvT. What is his playstyle what makes him so good at ZvT
Reply Quote
It was basically the fact that he took a third before lair in ZvT and then went roach/baneling. So many people looked at that as heresy and the only time they'd seen people try it before was maybe CheckPrime, although he never had quite as much. Quite frankly, I think it's better than the standard 2 base muta play and there really isn't a lot terran can do to punish it if your timings are tight.

The one game he did that was what people first took notice of, but his overall control and skill is fantastic. The times he went muta he played amazingly as well. He also took out sCfoU, who had previously beaten guys like Nestea and LosirA on a regular basis.
Edited by Catechin on 7/16/2011 5:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:08 PMPosted by Catechin
It was basically the fact that he took a third before lair in ZvT and then went roach/baneling.

Ravens. That is all.
Reply Quote
It was basically the fact that he took a third before lair in ZvT and then went roach/baneling. So many people looked at that as heresy and the only time they'd seen people try it before was maybe CheckPrime, although he never had quite as much. Quite frankly, I think it's better than the standard 2 base muta play and there really isn't a lot terran can do to punish it if your timings are tight.

The one game he did that was what people first took notice of, but his overall control and skill is fantastic. The times he went muta he played amazingly as well. He also took out sCfoU, who had previously beaten guys like Nestea and LosirA on a regular basis.

How does he handle fast multi prong drops I mean if you take a fast third you have to delay lair
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:10 PMPosted by Salmagundi
Ravens. That is all.

What the !%*! is this and what are you talking about? Just split and seeker missiles won't do tons. If he's going ravens his tank and/or medivac numbers will be down. If his medivacs are down you have less to worry about with drops, if his tanks are down then he'll have a harder time combatting your army, as tanks are the primary way to zone and defend against roach/bane.
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:14 PMPosted by Catechin
Ravens. That is all.

What the !%*! is this and what are you talking about? Just split and seeker missiles won't do tons. If he's going ravens his tank and/or medivac numbers will be down. If his medivacs are down you have less to worry about with drops, if his tanks are down then he'll have a harder time combatting your army, as tanks are the primary way to zone and defend against roach/bane.

Hey Cat how does he deal with fast drops since his lair is gonna be delayed he wont have Roach or Bane speed i would think it would be rough
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:13 PMPosted by TheJoKeR
How does he handle fast multi prong drops I mean if you take a fast third you have to delay lair

You get extra queens and just split up your units. 3 queens will take down a medivac ridiculously quickly. Roaches and lings together kill drops as they leave the medivac. You need to get those extra

You have to realize that you don't just blindly take a third and drone or delay lair. You have to know what terran's doing. Unless he's going 2 port banshee specifically, you can delay lair safely. Fast one base drops are semi all in and you'll pull far ahead. More typical 2 rax expand into mass bio or bio/tank are handled just fine.

There's this huge myth that you "need" mutas or infestors to beat terran and that's nowhere near true. Also, roach/bane play deals with drops better than infestor play in my opinion. Your units just kill the dropped units so fast. Also, just because you're "going" roach/bane doesn't mean you can't get a spire. It's slightly delayed, sure, but it's fine. If drops are starting to get excessive just get ~5 medivacs out to kill the medivacs.

07/16/2011 05:17 PMPosted by TheJoKeR
he wont have Roach or Bane speed i would think it would be rough

Just split your units as I mentioned. You don't make a ton of banelings until after lair generally, mostly roach/ling unless he appears with some huge pure bio push "out of nowhere."

Note: I have no %%@#ing idea how he himself deals with drops. I've been going 3 base roach/bane for months so this is based on hundreds of ZvTs that I've played.
Reply Quote
DRG heavily favors ling, muta, bane for ZvT which is his most demonstrated match up in broadcasted matches. While his macro and micro are truly amazing, what separates him from most other Zergs in the match up is his amazing game sense. He knows when to drone and when not to, and is good at spotting all ins. The best tip to take away from his play is how he places overlords and burrowed lings all around the map aggressively along with fantastic creep spread. He makes full use of it by being able to counter all drops effectively with mutas, he can move to defend expansions and almost always counters the Terran player over and over every time he leaves his base and can still get back home to defend in time.

He is just amazingly solid in ever aspect of the match up as he plays it, there's no silver bullet to be gleaned from his style.
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:23 PMPosted by Ziggitz
DRG heavily favors ling, muta, bane for ZvT which is his most demonstrated match up in broadcasted matches.

Agreed, which is ironically bad in my opinion since his roach/bane play is so much better. ZeNEXLine is the guy you want to look at for mutaling play right now. Sooooooooo good.

07/16/2011 05:23 PMPosted by Ziggitz
He is just amazingly solid in ever aspect of the match up as he plays it, there's no silver bullet to be gleaned from his style.

With his overall play, yeah, for sure.
Reply Quote
So basically Roach/Bane is designed to be safe from early Bio pushes and hellions as well as to crush the midgame push and drone while expanding and teching muta
Reply Quote
Agreed, which is ironically bad in my opinion since his roach/bane play is so much better. ZeNEXLine is the guy you want to look at for mutaling play right now. Sooooooooo good.

I don't think Lines play is revolutionary. He basically just cuts out banelings to be able to afford m ore mutalisks which is effective in the meta game right now because Terrans go really tank heavy. If they skew more heavily to marines and bio upgrades you can crush it. It's just another option for the composition to exploit a lopsided Terran composition.

Now what really impressed me was his ability to put himself in the Terran's shoes and predict his drop patterns. At several points during the super tournament, he put his lings and mutas in position to counter drops he hadn't scouted and his vigilance allowed him to shut down drop play so well without much if any static defense.
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:38 PMPosted by Ziggitz
I don't think Lines play is revolutionary. He basically just cuts out banelings to be able to afford m ore mutalisks which is effective in the meta game right now because Terrans go really tank heavy. If they skew more heavily to marines and bio upgrades you can crush it. It's just another option for the composition to exploit a lopsided Terran composition.

That's part of it, but the biggest part is how heavily Line relies on counterattacks to do damage... which they tend to do. His overall play is just ridiculously good. Pure mutaling does struggle a bit with pure marine play, but if terran skews his composition that much you just add in a few banelings (of which you already have upgrades for, plus baneling speed). Just because you make a tech doesn't mean you have to use it immediately.

Also, if terran does start dropping tanks, that's only an extra 3 marines per tank. Not huge when the standard right now is only 1 fac siege tanks. 2 at most off of 2 bases.

07/16/2011 05:31 PMPosted by TheJoKeR
So basically Roach/Bane is designed to be safe from early Bio pushes and hellions as well as to crush the midgame push and drone while expanding and teching muta

Teching to muta's an option. I just get the spire in order to get air attack upgrades started. I don't make mutas until at least my first remax, if not my third or fourth. I also get an infestation pit and pathogen glands. Hell, if it would ever be useful, I'd get a hydralisk den.
Edited by Catechin on 7/16/2011 5:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Sounds really interesting
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:49 PMPosted by TheJoKeR

Yah.

And as you mentioned, it's really safe vs hellions, something a lot of people seem to struggle with.
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:51 PMPosted by Catechin

Yah.

And as you mentioned, it's really safe vs hellions, something a lot of people seem to struggle with.

I actually have no problems with Hellion I like Roaches for early defense so I almost always make like 5. I just struggle with early Marine/Tank pushes. Like if I tech Fast muta off 2 base then i really struggle against early tank pushes. But i struggle with drops if i take a fast third before lair
Reply Quote

godmode multitasking and perfect splitting of his units. He always has just enough units in each base to ward off drops, and yet always has control of his front, and usually is always in position for a counterattack.

Another thing to note about dongraegu is how he always sets up flanks for fights, as often as possible.

In one of last season's GSTL games he was against Supernova on crossfire, and he opened roach, but supernova did a marine/marauder stim timing.
Dongraegu walked his roaches out on the map, PAST the far xel'naga watched tower, then followed the marauders all the way to DRG's base, and then crushed supernova on the ramp outside DRG's natural by flanking him with those roaches from behind and the new units from the front. it was insane. It was the perfect flank on a map which is basically impossible to flank.
Against scfou in the LG Cinema thing, he often had killer flanks with roaches and banelings and it makes the fights SO one sided.

He also always knows when and how to counterattack. This was really evident when he played against Ganzi this GSTL.

I guess it's important that he always has units out and active on the map and they are used to set up flanks or counterattacks, and he always does it well. At the same time, he has units in his bases for stopping drops, and somehow never seems to get caught out of position with half his army, even though it is all split up.

Another one that was great was his game against MKP last GSTL where he held off some crazy marine timing with queens + spines + slowlings (spanishiwa style), and one where he held off some VICIOUS banshee/tank/blueflame hellion/SCV all-in from ganzi. He flanked with lings, pulled drones, uprooted and reburrowed spines/spores, focusfired banshees, and transfused spines/spores/queens in what looked like one fluid movement. it was beautiful.

I am looking forward to watching all of his MLG replays, and I hope he snags that Code S spot so we can see him more regularly.
Edited by Oboeman on 7/16/2011 7:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/16/2011 05:22 PMPosted by Catechin
If drops are starting to get excessive just get ~5 medivacs out to kill the medivacs.
just get ~5 medivacs out to kill the medivacs.
medivacs
to
kill
the
medivacs

Mind blown.
Reply Quote
he meant get you need ~5 mutas to kill the mutas. duh.
Reply Quote
07/17/2011 12:02 AMPosted by DMrtil
he meant get you need ~5 mutas to kill the mutas. duh.

Duh.
Reply Quote
he makes mutas. a lot of mutas.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]