StarCraft® II

starcraft 2 had a terrible story

04/29/2014 08:29 AMPosted by ToxicDefiler
And people say that Japanese people are the only ones that can make story/universes with depth.

What people? I've seen game stories like that of Halo or Mass Effect that are as good as any movie or even stage plays.
Reply Quote
Half the team that worked on SC are no longer part of blizzard or are more involved with WoW. So yea they had to bring on a new team that are not as eager to make this game. The ones working on WoW actually make more money since they have to keep the game running and spend more time on it. SC2 you finish the game, aside form minor updates here and there once the game is done it is done.
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 12:49 PMPosted by Gashnaw
Half the team that worked on SC are no longer part of blizzard or are more involved with WoW. So yea they had to bring on a new team that are not as eager to make this game. The ones working on WoW actually make more money since they have to keep the game running and spend more time on it. SC2 you finish the game, aside form minor updates here and there once the game is done it is done.

Their most creative talent were pushed out of Blizzard. From what I've read of WoW players, that game is becoming less and less inspiring. It's also being severely outclassed by newer MMO's.

The mistake that will end up killing Starcraft was the pivot toward "professional" gaming at the expense of longtime fans and amateurs.
Reply Quote
06/07/2014 01:13 AMPosted by Goyathla
04/29/2014 08:29 AMPosted by ToxicDefiler
And people say that Japanese people are the only ones that can make story/universes with depth.

What people? I've seen game stories like that of Halo or Mass Effect that are as good as any movie or even stage plays.

I am refuting the idea that Japanese developers are the only ones that can make such; Capcom, Konami, and such has proven otherwise recently. There isn't much depth in Resident Evil, among other games that were made. Depth in story, and in fact storytelling, is not limited to just one country, just certain people in general, which exist across the world.

And yes, Halo and Mass Effect (although I feel Halo has a more interesting universe, considering Mass Effect feels like Star Wars. I'll leave it there), but Starcraft 2 doesn't have one of depth. The original had a greater depth for sure, and that had severely limited storytelling in contrast to said Starcraft 2.
Edited by ToxicDefiler on 6/15/2014 4:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/15/2014 04:41 PMPosted by ToxicDefiler

And yes, Halo and Mass Effect (although I feel Halo has a more interesting universe, considering Mass Effect feels like Star Wars. I'll leave it there), but Starcraft 2 doesn't have one of depth. The original had a greater depth for sure, and that had severely limited storytelling in contrast to said Starcraft 2.

I agree about Halo. It's first-person shooter Shakespeare. Though, I think that Mass Effect's story isn't that far behind Halo; a sortof "Death of a Black Hawk Down Salesman" in space.

:D
Reply Quote
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I am refuting the idea that Japanese developers are the only ones that can make such; Capcom, Konami, and such has proven otherwise recently. There isn't much depth in Resident Evil, among other games that were made. Depth in story, and in fact storytelling, is not limited to just one country, just certain people in general, which exist across the world.

Not to mention Nintendo, which I recently heard is losing support due to its lack of belief in gaming communities being beneficial and thinking that consumers are consumers and nothing more and nothing less. In other words, social groups that talk about current games for certain companies or communities that revolve around certain series' are strictly off limits by Nintendo's standards.

Starcraft 2 could have been deeper indeed. there was more unexpected drama and diversity in the first 2 games overall. Since the story-telling differences between the first 2 and SCII are basically night and day, especially after 15 years, I am ashamed to have not been aware of all the other forms of Starcraft Media until shortly after I heard that SCII was out(Novels, Short Stories, Spin-offs, etc.). There was so much new stuff in SCII that was not as throughly explained or referenced in detail inside that game alone as the stuff in the first 2 games was explained in them alone that I have been running in circles a few times trying to find out more about everything new on the wikia.
Edited by TriAQuadC on 6/22/2014 10:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/22/2014 10:00 AMPosted by TriAQuadC
Not to mention Nintendo, which I recently heard is losing support due to its lack of belief in gaming communities being beneficial and thinking that consumers are consumers and nothing more and nothing less. In other words, social groups that talk about current games for certain companies or communities that revolve around certain series' are strictly off limits by Nintendo's standards.

Stupid Nintendo. Didn't learn their mistake with the Wii U from their Virtual Boy either. Nor do they understand their consumers in no other way than nostalgia (which is true in most cases) and bad players (statistics show than over 70% players that played the original super mario for NES could not beat the first level...) Explains why there are so many Navi's and repeats.

06/21/2014 10:33 PMPosted by Goyathla
I agree about Halo. It's first-person shooter Shakespeare. Though, I think that Mass Effect's story isn't that far behind Halo; a sortof "Death of a Black Hawk Down Salesman" in space.

:D

It just irks me how so many Science Fiction, or Science Fantasy for the snobs out there, always have so many humanoid aliens. It's really, really annoying.

Halo is okay. I would prefer to play as a Hunter or Jackal though.

Starcraft 2 could have been deeper indeed. there was more unexpected drama and diversity in the first 2 games overall. Since the story-telling differences between the first 2 and SCII are basically night and day, especially after 15 years, I am ashamed to have not been aware of all the other forms of Starcraft Media until shortly after I heard that SCII was out(Novels, Short Stories, Spin-offs, etc.). There was so much new stuff in SCII that was not as throughly explained or referenced in detail inside that game alone as the stuff in the first 2 games was explained in them alone that I have been running in circles a few times trying to find out more about everything new on the wikia.

They took the idea that stories don't belong in games. Thanks Heavy Rain.
Reply Quote
06/22/2014 12:01 PMPosted by ToxicDefiler
It just irks me how so many Science Fiction, or Science Fantasy for the snobs out there, always have so many humanoid aliens. It's really, really annoying.

Halo is okay. I would prefer to play as a Hunter or Jackal though.

I agree. In my writing I pose myself the question of, "are my aliens weirder than the stuff living in the oceans?"

They took the idea that stories don't belong in games. Thanks Heavy Rain.[/quote]

The other problem is having been bought out by Activision. That's like Apple being bought by AoL.
Reply Quote
06/22/2014 03:33 PMPosted by Goyathla
I agree. In my writing I pose myself the question of, "are my aliens weirder than the stuff living in the oceans?"

The sad thing is, most aliens aren't even comparable to said creatures under the sea. They are more relatable than those that live in the depths of the ocean. Figure that one out.

Hell, the most they even did was make an otopus into an alien... and what did they do? They gave em arms and legs, and a human complexion.Thanks Star Wars.

What are the more alien races... the Flood and the Hunters feel pretty alien of sorts, with one being a parasitic fungi, and another being... well... synchronized worms. And yet they still give the Hunters a human-like body. Those !@#$ers.

What was alien in Mass Effect? The Leviathans I suppose... were giant Octopus with telepathy. How creative. Then there were ants... and Geth that follow a similar form to their creators... there was that bug humanoid that had super touching abilities I suppose...

I can't believe that Mass Effect would have less aliens that Halo, considering Mass Effect has more aliens. Of course Halo's list in't exactly quality, with the Elites and Grunts and Jackels and Brutes and... well, most of the aliens, being humanoid in form. I guess you can only be an advanced alien if you have two arms and two legs.

The other problem is having been bought out by Activision. That's like Apple being bought by AoL.

Disgusting.
Reply Quote
06/22/2014 03:39 PMPosted by ToxicDefiler

The sad thing is, most aliens aren't even comparable to said creatures under the sea.

By weirder than what's in the sea didn't mean that they are analogous to ocean life. Just that they're so weird and different you couldn't possibly mistake them for variations of Earth life. I've never had to spell that out to anyone else before.

What are the more alien races... the Flood and the Hunters feel pretty alien of sorts, with one being a parasitic fungi, and another being... well... synchronized worms. And yet they still give the Hunters a human-like body. Those !@#$ers.

The hunters made sense to me, in that regard, because the armor was build by tetrapods- that being the Elites, and so conformed to a tetrapod's biases.

What was alien in Mass Effect? The Leviathans I suppose... were giant Octopus with telepathy. How creative. Then there were ants... and Geth that follow a similar form to their creators... there was that bug humanoid that had super touching abilities I suppose...

But the Leviathan in Mass Effect has no parallel with Earth life. The limbs and eyes are arranged in a manner unlike anything on Earth. It's a cephalo-centric body plan, but entirely different from cephalopods.

I can't believe that Mass Effect would have less aliens that Halo, considering Mass Effect has more aliens. Of course Halo's list in't exactly quality, with the Elites and Grunts and Jackels and Brutes and... well, most of the aliens, being humanoid in form. I guess you can only be an advanced alien if you have two arms and two legs.

The issue with Halo is mostly the date it was first conceived. At the time the only aliens showing up in popular science fiction were hominids with minor variations. So by that standard it was a large step forward. Just that now science fiction itself is stepping forward in some areas, and so is out-sciencing the old franchises. Star Wars improvements were stalled by Lucas' bad scriptwriting and concept design. Star Trek has to worry about upsetting fans if they break from official canon, though the new Klingons are a bit improved.
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 06:14 PMPosted by Goyathla
By weirder than what's in the sea didn't mean that they are analogous to ocean life. Just that they're so weird and different you couldn't possibly mistake them for variations of Earth life. I've never had to spell that out to anyone else before.

I meant in terms of difference from said land life. Much of the aliens are more associated with what humans are more-so aware of, which are human or the known beast-like, such as wolves, ants, and so forth. They didn't even try to be the same as the sea creatures, even though they are more alien than what many people associate life as.

And I understand what you meant, I just noted that most don't even go as 'foreign' of a concept as the deep sea life, many only sticking towards the land creatures that are more so popular, which removes any form of alien if they are known.

But the Leviathan in Mass Effect has no parallel with Earth life. The limbs and eyes are arranged in a manner unlike anything on Earth. It's a cephalo-centric body plan, but entirely different from cephalopods.

It is associated with the Cuttlefish, or at least similar in structure and being to that of ancient aquatic life that is now extinct. It's not really alien.

Star Trek has to worry about upsetting fans if they break from official canon, though the new Klingons are a bit improved.

Didn't they do something where they said worlds were implanted with different seeds that conjured said aliens and humans that look similar to one another, however each evolved differently to the planet's environment they grew up in? or something like that.
Reply Quote
06/23/2014 06:29 PMPosted by ToxicDefiler

I meant in terms of difference from said land life. Much of the aliens are more associated with what humans are more-so aware of, which are human or the known beast-like, such as wolves, ants, and so forth. They didn't even try to be the same as the sea creatures, even though they are more alien than what many people associate life as.

I think you've completely missed my point, and explaining it to you just results in you meandering further from what you were trying to get across the first time.
Reply Quote
If I may put into this new subtopic about what makes an alien an alien, I say that when I think "alien" I think "not of this planet."

It has, from my perspective, thusly been making less and less sense why a few recent alien designs are modeled after humans more broadly than the currently most unexpected and unknown species of animal.

Humanoid aliens are just too bogus to be seen as aliens if you ask me. I for one would imagine aliens being modeled after the broad ideals and physical necessities of abyss-dwelling sea creatures with tiny mixes of acute attributes associated with above-water animals like claws, pelt designs, talons, wings, shells, and jaw augments (that last bit being fangs, sabres, sharp tongues, etc.) without any obvious indications of humanoid physicality in the finalized alien life-form.

Considering how increasingly familiar we are becomming with creatures of the deep for example, it is a lot harder to make a good alien.

Let's just hope that fact doesn't put too big of a mental hole in the genius that is Ridley Scott.
Edited by TriAQuadC on 6/27/2014 7:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
06/24/2014 11:19 PMPosted by Goyathla
I think you've completely missed my point, and explaining it to you just results in you meandering further from what you were trying to get across the first time.

Sigh. yes, I know, you look at the world such as deep sea life and try to make something even more alien than what they seem to be, make them stranger than what exists on the planet in general. I am saying that most people don't even look at the weirder and unique creatures, mostly taking everything they see in everyday life, from dogs to people to creatures in the forest and even !@#$ing bugs they find in the backyard, change them up a little, and call them aliens.
Reply Quote
I know this is a bump thread but I have to disagree with the OP. I thought the story in WoL was great. It did bring you through different emotions, it caused you to love or hate characters and get to know them, part of the story was shaped by your in-game missions selections, and it continued the whole StarCraft story line well while also concluding the game well as an individual game. I not only couldn't complain but I loved it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]