Starcraft 2: Starter Edition cannot offline

Still down today...Looks like it's been for about a week.

Blizzard Phone Support - 1-800-592-5499
Reply Quote
THIS IS FROM BLIZZARD SUPPORT:

1. Support says all their logon servers are down right now (Starcraft, Diablo and WOW). It's been down for about an hour, no idea when it'll come back on.

2. If you are getting the Starter Edition offline error, it could mean you haven't logged in successfully in the last 30 days. They have a piracy protection system that enables offline mode for 30 days upon each successful logon.
Reply Quote
Hold up. So, the new update (1.3.5/1.3.6) made it so that everything reset to Starter Edition? I started up SC2 today, and it was updating to 1.3.6, i went afk for a little bit, and when i got back it said it was the Starter. I tried to relog, and it said that i could upgrade the starter at anytime, and it featured 24 new campaign missions and 2 new races. Soo, anybody got anything? I'm utterly lost here. XD
Reply Quote
I hadn't played for a while.. Launched SC2, it ran updates, then went to play after the updates and got a Bnet offline for some sort of service. Fine. Click play offline, then get a "Starter Version can't play offline" message.

This is bull!@#$. Seriously. I paid for a retail copy of the game, and you money grubbing greedy bastards decide because I haven't played in a few week that I'm no longer allowed to play offline?

I understand your worrying about piracy issues but %^-*ing over paying customers in the process is out of line. If you don't care for my language then maybe you should stop !@#$ing over your paying customers.

Like balance in games, there's balance in greed, and you're clearly unbalanced.
Reply Quote
I am also experiencing the same problem. However, unlike some other people that can play in offline mode after logging in to battle.net at least once, I cannot play in offline mode at all no matter what. I always get the "starter edition ..." error message, and I have the full version. I ride a train pretty often and I don't have access to the internet while on it, but I would still like to play offline. I hope somebody knows something about this, and/or it is resolved soon.
Reply Quote
I just updated and try play offline, but it said that the starter edition cannot play offline, is there got a way could play offline?
Reply Quote
also you can't play offline against AI because it searches for maps? at least mine never ended (or took way too long)
Reply Quote
07/27/2011 08:31 AMPosted by Morgan
i mean wtf why cant starter edition play offline it makes me sick to think i bought this game and it wants me to buy more stupid stuff just to play freaking offline mode.

did you ever enter your serial number authentication key thing that was printed on the cd case? when you first buy the game it will be a starter until you "upgrade it" in battlenet, its free, i think you do it so that if someone randomly installs the game he/she can play it for a while as a trial. But seeing as youre on this website, im doubtful this is your problem, im just giving you a heads up.
Reply Quote
if u bought a pair of shoes, and u only wanted the right one u would still have to pay for both of them. that's life, this is the product, u payed for it, if it's faulty, take it up with the company, maybe u get a refund, but they won't give u some half price half product deal, and u shouldnt expect them to
Reply Quote
u guys tried going to battlenet account online and reinstalling with the original copy? i mean, going to battle.net website and selecting the game (SC2 whatev edition) and installing that one, or maybe there is a way to select one as a primary. on my account i have SEA, US, and taiwan starter edition, mine is set to region US as a full copy of the game, hope this helps
Reply Quote
u prolly already read about this stuff, but the starter edition is like blizzards new demo and its free, featuring a few missions and the ability to play customgames and single gamevsai. u only can play terran i think, and its basically just there for ppl who want to try out game. if u r still having problems, trying changing game regions by being afk from login for idk 5 to 10 mins, on the left there should be a region button, make sure u r playing US if ur US. if that doesnt work, go onto battle.net, login and try reistalling with online dwl if u bought it online, and if u didnt try seeing if there are any games on ur account games list that shouldnt be there, like starter edition. if there is a starter addition and a normal addition, change the normal to be primary
Reply Quote
I hadn't played for a while.. Launched SC2, it ran updates, then went to play after the updates and got a Bnet offline for some sort of service. Fine. Click play offline, then get a "Starter Version can't play offline" message.

This is bull!@#$. Seriously. I paid for a retail copy of the game, and you money grubbing greedy bastards decide because I haven't played in a few week that I'm no longer allowed to play offline?

I understand your worrying about piracy issues but %^-*ing over paying customers in the process is out of line. If you don't care for my language then maybe you should stop !@#$ing over your paying customers.

Like balance in games, there's balance in greed, and you're clearly unbalanced.

I could not have said it better, My Sentiments Exactly!

There should be NO NEED FOR THE INTERNET AT ALL! Yes the game is a lot of fun via internet and it is the best way to get patches, etc, but single player without the internet should be a given.

The 30 day excuse is B** S*** too. This is the second time this has bit me. Both times I was on a 14 hr flight expecting to play SC2 and I get the "No Offline Play" allowed message. I thought I learned from the first time so before I left for the airport I connected online and started a game, quit, shutdown and later the next day I try to play on the plane and I get the "Starter Edition" message. I had played just the DAY BEFORE online!
Reply Quote
So pretty much after reading this forum, I concluded I'm screwed...

Deployed to Afghan, must have been about thirty days since my last login since I can't really get net to my laptop to do it...And I get the Starter Edition message.

Wanna know why PC gaming is a dieing breed? Because game clients like Steam and their third rate programming is screwing over three-fourths of the community.

Piracy is an issue, yes, but what's happening now in the recent years is hurting business more then Piracy has really ever done.

Thanks for punishing everyone by battling the smaller margin.
Reply Quote
Hmmm.. similar problem... I just bought my self a retail copy of Sc2, and then put in my authentication key and everything WAS working fine. I played with some friends last night, and then my girlfriend texts me she wants to play some sc2 right? I'm like " ok ! " and then I log in and it tells me I'm running the Starter Edition again and I need to upgrade? WTF... : [

-Edit- AND it says my Starcraft 2 is ACTIVE under my account settings... suggesting it is the full thing ( which it was last night after I used my key ) ..
-Edit- ... fixed it. Me and my stupid pc clock...
Edited by xHeatx on 2/17/2012 8:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
How did you fix it? I am in Latin America (Panama) but playing on the US server as all my friends play there. Have not played the game in more than 6 months, but now that I have installed all the patches it comes with this starter edition nonsense and worst of all, when I put my username/password I can not log in!!!

Tech support couldn't help suggesting I need to unistall and reisntall the program. I see others have had the same problem, so I doubt this would be the solution.

Any help anyone??
Reply Quote
what to do! I deleted sc2 re downloaded it and now its saying stater edition! upgrade now. I dont have the cd i downloaded it online. (Game Client). my old profile is gone what to do? i cant play multiplayer. how do i get my old profile back?
Reply Quote
I've been having the same problem, whenever I try to play offline it gives me the aforementioned "Starter Edition" message. Today I tried logging in and playing online, which was successful, but then when I disconnected from my internet service to see if it was simply the anti-piracy thing, it told me the same Starter Edition message. I have a full retail copy of the game, and have been enjoying it up until this point. I've had trouble with offline before, but logging in online before I go somewhere without internet has mostly fixed the problem in the past.

Can't they differenciate between Starter and Full Editions? Also, why isn't a Starter Edition allowed to play offline in the first place?

I find it disheartening no one from Blizzard has said anything regarding this issue yet :(
Edited by SoullessOne on 4/28/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I havent had internet for a month now and have been playing the offline game till yesterday. For some reason I recieved the message that I had the starter pack and couldnt play it offline after doing it for a month straight. Thought it was really weird since i am not even connected with the internet.
Reply Quote
In as few polite words as possible:

This must be some sort of mistake. I find it utterly confusing why, after paying for the game, someone is not allowed to enjoy the game. Period.

The 30 day license is an extreme overkill method. My reason for saying this is because once the money has been spent on your game, it cannot be refunded. Because my household is unable to connect to the internet at some times, it feels as though we have just spent around 100 dollars for nothing, since we cannot even play against each other living under the same roof.

There must be another way.
Reply Quote
i found a solution that so far seams to have worked for me, and its really simple, try logging in online and checking the remember account info, after that you should be able to play it offline as well, however it also seams every time you connect to it online it clears that and you have to select it once again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]