StarCraft® II

How do you tip your server?

This question is posed to all of the people who go out to eat. I am a part time server at a resturaunt and we get a lot of a specific demographic that dosn't tip very well.

I was curious on how much you belive is a good tip. Is it based on a percentage of the bill? if so what do you tip for bad/okay/good service. Or do you just tip based on how well they did ignoring the bill.

Please indulge me in your choices.
Reply Quote
Depending on tips during a recession is always a bad idea.
Reply Quote
First off, depends on the type of restaurant. if it's like a sushi place or something where everything is premade and I just bring it to the counter to pay, I'm certainly not going to tip. if there's a server/waiter/etc., then you should do 15%.
Reply Quote
As Biohazard mentioned, if there are no servers and I order and get my food at the counter, I don't usually tip. However, if there is a server I believe it is customary to tip 20%, and perhaps a bit higher (25-30) if they go above and beyond what you would normally expect.
Reply Quote
Also, when it comes to tipping a delivery guy -- make sure you take into account the distance the driver had to travel to get to you. If the round-trip for them is gonna be half a tank of gas (10+ miles), make sure to give them more than a couple bucks, even if that's over 20%.
Reply Quote
Having served for a couple of years, my standard tip is 20%. If you did a great job (and I mean a really great job) I tip 30%, unless the bill is ridiculously small--around $1-5--inwhich case I tip a flat amount that could be 100-500% of the bill. I don't tip less than 20% very often, but if I do it's because the server was rude or openly expressed their distain for their job.

As a note, common prejudices in the service industry are that certain minority groups (based on age, religion, or race) don't tip well. In my experience, this simply doesn't bear out. The tips you will receive will, for the most part, seem to be completely random and unrelated to either the customer's demographic or your quality of service. For instance, I've given terrible service to some people and been given great tips, and have given wonderful service to others and gotten stiffed.

It's all a crap shoot, and how you do your job has little to do with what you will earn from any given table (provided you are competent). Just be nice and try to forget that you're serving. It makes the job a lot less stressful.
Edited by Apheun on 7/28/2011 1:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Depends on my mood that day and how I'm doing financially, then the service. I don't do %'s at all.
Reply Quote
I always just make sure to tip more than my friends, lawls.

07/28/2011 01:24 PMPosted by TunaFish
If the round-trip for them is gonna be half a tank of gas (10+ miles)

What? Is the delivery guy driving a car from the 1940s?
Edited by Fors on 7/28/2011 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I usually tip between 15-25% depending on the service, the quality of the food, how professional the server was, and how quickly I was attended to and how quickly the food came out. Even if my experience was bad, as long as the server does his/her job I will still usually tip at least 10%.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:24 PMPosted by TunaFish
Also, when it comes to tipping a delivery guy -- make sure you take into account the distance the driver had to travel to get to you. If the round-trip for them is gonna be half a tank of gas (10+ miles), make sure to give them more than a couple bucks, even if that's over 20%.

What kind of horrible car would you have to drive that would have 20 miles be a half a tank of gas???
Reply Quote
15% unless they were really bad, then I don't tip. But I think this only happened once or twice.
Reply Quote
Having worked in a restaurant for 2 years.. Black people dont tip, its not a stereotype because its true... best tip I have ever received was 100% of what the bill was. Worst was these 2 black guys who ordered $100 worth of food/drink and 2 cigars and left no tip and they werent even in our section!!!
Reply Quote
I usually just tip to the nearest dollar amount (also depending on the cost of the meal I might add 1 or 2 dollars)
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:29 PMPosted by Ender

What kind of horrible car would you have to drive that would have 20 miles be a half a tank of gas???

What, your pizza delivery guy doesn't drive a tank?
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Secticidal
Having worked in a restaurant for 2 years.. Black people dont tip, its not a stereotype because its true... best tip I have ever received was 100% of what the bill was. Worst was these 2 black guys who ordered $100 worth of food/drink and 2 cigars and left no tip and they werent even in our section!!!

They tip if YOU are black. See it happen all the time.
Reply Quote
20%, I almost never change it based on performance because I'm so lazy.
Reply Quote
15-20%

if they're really bad i'll leave like a 5 cent tip and leave a note on the receipt as to why they were bad.

(the 5 cents is to make sure they know i didn't just 'forget' to leave one)
Edited by Xilarating on 7/28/2011 1:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Posted by SecticidalHaving worked in a restaurant for 2 years.. Black people dont tip, its not a stereotype because its true... best tip I have ever received was 100% of what the bill was. Worst was these 2 black guys who ordered $100 worth of food/drink and 2 cigars and left no tip and they werent even in our section!!!They tip if YOU are black. See it happen all the time.

Reverse racism at its best!! In it for there own but nobody else...
Reply Quote
I usually tip 15% by default. I won't go below that unless service is absolutely terrible. If I thought the service was above my expectations, I'll tip 20%. It generally doesn't take much to get me to tip at 20%. Usually when I only tip 15%, it's because the server disappeared for long stretches and I never got my water refilled at all during the course of the meal.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]