StarCraft® II

How do you tip your server?

07/28/2011 01:30 PMPosted by syzygy

What kind of horrible car would you have to drive that would have 20 miles be a half a tank of gas???

What, your pizza delivery guy doesn't drive a tank?

Yeah, where the heck do you live?
Reply Quote
Only tip waiters in restaurants, and generally 15% rounded up to the nearest number that I can add up with the total on the credit card paper in less than a second.

If the service is really good, particularly at 5 star restaurants, I'll tip 18%

If you make me wait to pay (I'm patient if a good meal is coming, I'm not exactly patient when it comes to parting with my money), you'll get a token (5% or less) tip and thats it.

If you piss me off, you're not getting a dime (rare, its hard to piss me off).

Where i have a lot of problems is with delivery. A lot of restaurants have a "delivery fee", and in many cases it is rather significant. Tacking on a 15% tip on top of that can easily end up adding 30% or more to my order. In that case I'll tip a lot less. Also, delivering is easy, while waiting tables at a fancy restaurant is actually VERY hard.
Reply Quote
15% or 5$, whichever is more. I would feel !@#$ty leaving a dollar tip on a 7$ bill because I just had an appetizer and water and left. The waiter/waitress still had to wait on me and come around several times.

I never tip young delivery guys more than a buck or two, but always tip middle aged or older delivery guys like 5$ because I think that job would be sweet as a teen (driving around all night) while it would suck when you're 40
Edited by ZaeZ on 7/28/2011 1:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:30 PMPosted by Secticidal
Having worked in a restaurant for 2 years.. Black people dont tip, its not a stereotype because its true... best tip I have ever received was 100% of what the bill was. Worst was these 2 black guys who ordered $100 worth of food/drink and 2 cigars and left no tip and they werent even in our section!!!

This is so true, black people make up the majority of who i serve. Its funny to have them wowed by your service and compliment you and dont even leave you 5% of the bill, 3% of the bill goes to tipshare so Im getting 2% of the bill, which isn't anything!
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:22 PMPosted by TunaFish
As Biohazard mentioned, if there are no servers and I order and get my food at the counter, I don't usually tip. However, if there is a server I believe it is customary to tip 20%, and perhaps a bit higher (25-30) if they go above and beyond what you would normally expect.

Dang...you must be loaded...I only do 15% for dinner, 10% for lunch. If Server did an exceptional job, 20-25%. 0% for places that doesn't really give any service like a Pho restaurant.
Reply Quote
Only tip waiters in restaurants, and generally 15% rounded up to the nearest number that I can add up with the total on the credit card paper in less than a second.If the service is really good, particularly at 5 star restaurants, I'll tip 18%If you make me wait to pay (I'm patient if a good meal is coming, I'm not exactly patient when it comes to parting with my money), you'll get a token (5% or less) tip and thats it.If you piss me off, you're not getting a dime (rare, its hard to piss me off).Where i have a lot of problems is with delivery. A lot of restaurants have a "delivery fee", and in many cases it is rather significant. Tacking on a 15% tip on top of that can easily end up adding 30% or more to my order. In that case I'll tip a lot less. Also, delivering is easy, while waiting tables at a fancy restaurant is actually VERY hard.

Totally agree, pizza guy just brings stuff to your door... No need to tip him because hes not doing anything to really service you, Fedex people dont get tipped for bringing packages to you, why does a pizza guy??

At least a server in a nice restaurant will know his/her stuff about paring a wine or a beer with a certain meal and have nice etiquette
Reply Quote
15$ tip. Every time, only to waiters/waitresses.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:15 PMPosted by PsychoBunny
I was curious on how much you belive is a good tip.

I pay 20% for satisfactory. I put in more if they surprise me.
My standards are high, however.

Regardless, I never tip less than 15%, unless they really really piss me off.
Reply Quote
This is how I tip, always a base 15% gratuity + (rate on service).
Reply Quote

Totally agree, pizza guy just brings stuff to your door... No need to tip him because hes not doing anything to really service you, Fedex people dont get tipped for bringing packages to you, why does a pizza guy??

At least a server in a nice restaurant will know his/her stuff about paring a wine or a beer with a certain meal and have nice etiquette

Pizza delivery is a dangerous job. Any idea how many of them get shot/robbed? Not to mention they are driving and trying to hurry to satisfy you and keep their jobs while your restaurant servers are walking. Most of them also have to pay for their own gas.

I generally tip pizza delivery a lot better than I do servers.

Also: Fedex guys get paid a ton more than pizza delivery.. And they don't pay for gas, have full insurance, and drive a really big vehicle.
Edited by syzygy on 7/28/2011 1:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You guys make me feel cheap only tipping a few bucks :p. my friends are so ghetto they tip with pennies and dimes.. >_>
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:44 PMPosted by Ruby
You guys make me feel cheap only tipping a few bucks :p. my friends are so ghetto they tip with pennies and dimes.. >_>

Pennies and dimes? that's like a slap to the face, lol
Reply Quote
I just match the tax. Forced gratuities like from Apple Bees make me upset.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:48 PMPosted by Zorca

Pennies and dimes? that's like a slap to the face, lol

It's sad cause I pay majority of the tip so we all don't look bad :p
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:43 PMPosted by syzygy
Pizza delivery is a dangerous job

I'll keep that in mind and up my tips the next time i see a pizza delivery guy in the news. I haven't in the 20 years I've been ordering pizza.

while your restaurant servers are walking

And they're only walking because they'll drop the plate of drinks if they run. Still usually go as fast as realistically possible and WILL often run during peek hour if they can. There's a reason you almost never see a fat waiter =P

Most of them also have to pay for their own gas.

All the people I know who have worked in delivery get paid per millage for driving, and thats when they aren't using the company's car which, while uncommon, happens with some big chains (though thats usually chicken delivery).

And I will tip the delivery guy 15%, _IF_ there is no delivery fees already tacked on the order. If there is, that cuts in the tip. Want the 15%, work for a different chain.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:50 PMPosted by Ice
I just match the tax. Forced gratuities like from Apple Bees make me upset.

Where do you live? Matching tax in Quebec, Canada, isn't exactly the same as matching tax in Massachusetts.
Reply Quote
Pizza Delivery drivers get reimbursed for there mileage. A large company like pizza hut or dominoes have to pay for the delivery expense and thats why they ad $2-$3 for a delivery charge which pays for the gas it takes to get to their location so that idea of yours is a bit out of whack... and typically they only carry $20 worth of change on them if even that so robbing a pizza guy would be pointless

They do have to pay for their own insurance, but thats state law anyways... A company wont take on that liability so they leave it to the drivers own insurance company
Edited by Secticidal on 7/28/2011 1:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]