How do you tip your server?

most pizza drivers get paid mileage here, and it's actually a lot better than real mileage. i still tip them probably 25% if i think about the actual number, but i don't ever really go, "okay i'm going to tip X%". i just tip what sounds good. generally, i end up tipping really high or not at all.

i dont blame servers for late food or what not because i know generally it's not their fault, unless i get my food and it stares at me and is half cold like it's been sitting there for 20 minutes. if service is !@#$ though, i dont tip. i don't go, o well you did a half-assed job here's a half-assed tip.

i work as a server btw.
Reply Quote
If its extremely terrible, like this one time in San Diego I went to a breakfest place and the whole tables silverwear was dirty, we walked out because there was still food on it after obviously being washed... Thats the first sign of a horrible place to eat, the dirty silverwear
Reply Quote
I personally find tipping someone for doing their job silly. I understand that the base pay is low because tips are expected for servers. This is just a cheap way for restaurants to pay their employees less money while discreetly charging you, the customer, more for your food.

For any server to "expect" a certain amount of money just for doing their job is also silly. With that said I will tip based upon the tax of the bill. Typically I double it which leads to 17.5%. I will round up when service is good, round way down if it is bad. I don't blame food delays on servers, I blame the cooks. If a server checks on me every now and then I'm satisfied. But if I go 5+ minutes without any contact after sitting down it is not good.

It's a recession, I took a paycut for my new job but I love it. Bottom line, if you hate your job, being tipped $100 isn't going to make you happier. For customers, tip what you feel is deserved. For servers, earn your money.
Edited by Mikser on 7/28/2011 1:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wait staffs make minimum wage typically, I have no issues with tipping waiters/waitresses because its almost literally what they live off of.
Reply Quote
I worked in restaurants for many years. Stereotypes exist for a reason.

One particularly curious thing to note: People that can afford to leave really big tips (for great service) typically don't. Lower/middle class people can and will often tip beyond their means.

07/28/2011 01:30 PMPosted by House
I usually just tip to the nearest dollar amount (also depending on the cost of the meal I might add 1 or 2 dollars)

You should not set foot into a place with waitstaff deemed tip-worthy without the expectation of tipping at least the standard 15% for mediocre service. I would literally give your your measly tip back and ask for your girlfriends phone number right in front of you.

Having served for a couple of years, my standard tip is 20%. If you did a great job (and I mean a really great job) I tip 30%, unless the bill is ridiculously small--around $1-5--inwhich case I tip a flat amount that could be 100-500% of the bill. I don't tip less than 20% very often, but if I do it's because the server was rude or openly expressed their distain for their job.

As a note, common prejudices in the service industry are that certain minority groups (based on age, religion, or race) don't tip well. In my experience, this simply doesn't bear out. The tips you will receive will, for the most part, seem to be completely random and unrelated to either the customer's demographic or your quality of service. For instance, I've given terrible service to some people and been given great tips, and have given wonderful service to others and gotten stiffed.

It's all a crap shoot, and how you do your job has little to do with what you will earn from any given table (provided you are competent). Just be nice and try to forget that you're serving. It makes the job a lot less stressful.

You are very insightful. However, after many years in the industry I am very rarely surprised by a great tip or a bad one. There are many ways to tell if your customers are decent folks or cheap gutter slime. During my years in the service industry, I devoted most of my time to sizing people up, based on mannerisms and body language, etc. Call me judgmental, but in an industry based on voluntary tipping it doesn't pay to waste time on people that simply aren't worth it.

Wrapping up: Whether customer or server - treat people with a basic modicum of respect.

Pro-tip: Don't mess with people that handle your food.

And, when I eat out the tip starts at 20% and goes up or down from there.
Reply Quote
Depends. Usually I go 15%, if the server was exceptional, I'll go higher depending on my mood.
Reply Quote
Wrapping up: Whether customer or server - treat people with a basic modicum of respect. Pro-tip: Don't mess with people that handle your food.And, when I eat out the tip starts at 20% and goes up or down from there.

Amen to that! I always say dont mess w/ people who serve ur food/drinks... If you piss me off at Starbucks your getting decaf buddy and a nice middle finger to go w/ it instead of your cheese danish
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 01:50 PMPosted by Shados
Pizza delivery is a dangerous job

I'll keep that in mind and up my tips the next time i see a pizza delivery guy in the news. I haven't in the 20 years I've been ordering pizza.

while your restaurant servers are walking

And they're only walking because they'll drop the plate of drinks if they run. Still usually go as fast as realistically possible and WILL often run during peek hour if they can. There's a reason you almost never see a fat waiter =P

Most of them also have to pay for their own gas.

All the people I know who have worked in delivery get paid per millage for driving, and thats when they aren't using the company's car which, while uncommon, happens with some big chains (though thats usually chicken delivery).

And I will tip the delivery guy 15%, _IF_ there is no delivery fees already tacked on the order. If there is, that cuts in the tip. Want the 15%, work for a different chain.

Bureau of labor ranked pizza delivery at 5th most dangerous job behind cop, fireman, stuntman and military.

When I did my short stint at it, they only paid a portion of mileage.

There's your difference: A waiter can stumble and break a plate. A delivery guy can wreck his car, screw up his life, lose his life and take another's life.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:05 PMPosted by MtlGuitarist
Note: I work at a camp and I get paid very little (below minimum wage) which is MUCH less than a person working at a restaurant makes (roughly $3.50 an hour :/) and I don't rely on tips for my earnings...

At a camp, they give you a room and free food/water thats why
Reply Quote
$1.21 troll tip :D
Reply Quote
Pizza Delivery drivers get reimbursed for there mileage. A large company like pizza hut or dominoes have to pay for the delivery expense and thats why they ad $2-$3 for a delivery charge which pays for the gas it takes to get to their location so that idea of yours is a bit out of whack... and typically they only carry $20 worth of change on them if even that so robbing a pizza guy would be pointless

They do have to pay for their own insurance, but thats state law anyways... A company wont take on that liability so they leave it to the drivers own insurance company

Say what you think on that - it's fact. Pizza guys often get fake calls, where they are then robbed or even kidnapped at gunpoint, sometimes shot. There have been holdouts from where they wanted the right to bring weapons on deliveries. A guy somewhat recently was fired for shooting and killing a guy that attempted to rob him.
Reply Quote
This is going to be honest and I'm not trying to be rude:

Male server: 0%
Female server: 0-20% depending on her attitude, # of mistakes, timeliness, etc.

EDIT: My rationale is that I'm old fashioned and males should be seeking manly jobs and such.

EDIT2: I do tip males if I'm w/ my girlfriend just to seem proper (unless I write the tip in on the receipt or if I can not tip w/o her looking)
Edited by InvictusTT on 7/28/2011 2:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:06 PMPosted by syzygy
There's your difference: A waiter can stumble and break a plate. A delivery guy can wreck his car, screw up his life, lose his life and take another's life.

Again. The next time I see a pizza delivery guy in the local news, I'll change my mind. And pretty much every fatal car accident (and a ton of non-fatal ones) end up in the news all day long every time they happen here, so I won't miss it.

I'm sorry you live in Detroit. I don't. Here 16 years old girls go out at 2 in the morning in dark areas and nothing happen to them.
Edited by Shados on 7/28/2011 2:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
25% for excellent service
20% for great service
15% for average service
Reply Quote
Edited by InvictusTT on 7/28/11 2:12 PM (PDT)

This is going to be honest and I'm not trying to be rude:Male server: 0%Female server: 0-20% depending on her attitude, # of mistakes, timeliness, etc.EDIT: My rationale is that I'm old fashioned and males should be seeking manly jobs and such.

Theres no rational in that because masculine and feminine jobs dont exist, there just jobs dip!@#$

Oh im not trying to be rude either... that makes my statement alright
Edited by Secticidal on 7/28/2011 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Again. The next time I see a pizza delivery guy in the local news, I'll change my mind. And pretty much every fatal car accident (and a ton of non-fatal ones) end up in the news all day long every time they happen here, so I won't miss it.

I'm sorry you live in Detroit. I don't. Here 16 years old girls go out at 2 in the morning in dark areas and nothing happen to them.

I live in Colorado, and this happens everywhere, hence the bureau of labor statistics.

And nothing happens to MOST of them. Only a small % of abductions and *%*#s are reported.

This is going to be honest and I'm not trying to be rude:

Male server: 0%
Female server: 0-20% depending on her attitude, # of mistakes, timeliness, etc.

EDIT: My rationale is that I'm old fashioned and males should be seeking manly jobs and such.

You're an idiot. And an !@#.
Not everyone can get the job that they want. A lot of the servers are doing it as a 2nd job, or it's the only thing they can get to help pay for rising college costs.
It's 2011. Time to stop being a sexist prick.
Edited by syzygy on 7/28/2011 2:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:10 PMPosted by syzygy
Say what you think on that - it's fact. Pizza guys often get fake calls, where they are then robbed or even kidnapped at gunpoint, sometimes shot. There have been holdouts from where they wanted the right to bring weapons on deliveries. A guy somewhat recently was fired for shooting and killing a guy that attempted to rob him.

I have never heard of a pizza guy being robbed or held hostege... like i said they barely carry $20 with them...
Reply Quote
My tipping is completely unrelated to the bill. If we're there for 2 hours with 4 people, bad service gets $5, average service gets $10-$15, good service gets $20+.

Spending last June in the UK and eating out every night redefined bad service for me. I now give most American waiters $20+ because they are so much better than their European counterparts.
Reply Quote
07/28/2011 02:05 PMPosted by Secticidal
Wrapping up: Whether customer or server - treat people with a basic modicum of respect. Pro-tip: Don't mess with people that handle your food.And, when I eat out the tip starts at 20% and goes up or down from there.

Amen to that! I always say dont mess w/ people who serve ur food/drinks... If you piss me off at Starbucks your getting decaf buddy and a nice middle finger to go w/ it instead of your cheese danish

Rofl, I completely agree. I have seen it all. Years ago I worked with a guy that would rub his hand all over his balls and then dip his fingers in the jerk customers iced tea. And servers typically have sweaty balls since they run around all day non-stop. Personally, I haven't done anything that extreme but, I have gone out of my way to embarrass plenty of people.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]